Author Topic: The difference between diceless and LARP  (Read 12498 times)

Wolfhowls

The difference between diceless and LARP
« on: January 10, 2008, 12:38:22 AM »
Ok I have gaming for about 16 years now and I still have no clue what the difference between diceless and LARP. Could someone please explain this to me?

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The difference between diceless and LARP
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 01:53:14 AM »
Happily: 

Diceless can be done via the net, over the phone, just chatting with one another, where a story teller type person makes decisions to say when things work or don't, in such a way to create a fun and imaginative role playing adventure.  A LARP is literally Live Action.  This means costumes, and equipment and people playing good and bad guys interacting on an individual basis.  So, if you are a real klutz, or get tongue tied, you can't make a blanket statement to save yourself.

Diceless:  I make a really cool jump over the heads of my opponents and attack from behind.

LARP:  Uhm, *wishes he could actually do a really cool jump* hi guys...  Nothing going on here.  *whistles*

Likewise--

Diceless:  The baddies see you an attack, even though you snuck as quietly as you could.

LARP:  The bad guys totally don't notice you as you steal all their supplies.  Even though any idiot could see you doing it.

See?  More reality.

Diceless:  Player:  I speak that obscure language.    ST: Okay, you can speak Fulani-Hauser.

LARP:  Player:  WTF is he saying?  Player2:  Sounds like Oooga booga booga splurm to me.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline KeyMasterOfGozer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:41:54 AM »
Yeah,

LARP mean live Action, so that means the players are physically acting out the what is happening.

Diceless just means you play the story out through story telling without using numbers and dice to determine the outcome.

Most LARPs are probably diceless, but it would be possible to have one in which dice were rolled to determine damage done by hits or something.

It's also possible to sit around a table with characters printed on paper, and tell stories without acting them out, and never use dice.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
Ok I get it now.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »
I knew, for example, a Masquerade LARP that resolved everything with a rock-paper-scissor system.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Wolfhowls

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:39 PM »
I knew, for example, a Masquerade LARP that resolved everything with a rock-paper-scissor system.

That's ...hmmm...kind of....retarded.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »
  There were stats and modifiers and everything else that would constitute a system, but for the random element they use r-p-s.  In a park at midnight its kinda hard to role dice. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 04:44:36 AM »
Yeah, while R-P-S seems sort of absurd, it is actually used in quite a few LARP games because of the lack-of-dice factor.

Imagine battlin' with someone and having to stop to roll dice. At least with R-R-S you do the wrist-shake thing and then keep on playing.

Having said that, I've only read LARP rules but have never really played. I had thought about importing a LARP system into my diceless game just to force players to stand up and do something occasionally, but it never materialized.  ::)
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline The Last Bean

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »
It looks silly as hell, but since Rock Paper Scissors is basically rolling a d3 it would actually make a nice FATE conversion... win means +1, tie means 0, lose means -1. I am thoroughly opposed to larps in general, but they'd be at least a BIT better if they didn't use those fucked up Mind's Eye Theater rules.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
I'd be most in favor of more LARPs taking a look at Polaris.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline KalanF

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:04:08 AM »

QFT
Always hated the fact that conflict resolution in what was supposed to be a horror genre game is most often mastered before 2nd grade.

As a point of interest, some LARPs DO use some dice rolling to determine randomness, but its rarely involved in anything "fast-paced".

Another point is there are two main "styles" of LARP:

1. "Boffer LARPs" - I hit you with a padded weapon (generally in the woods) and we're dressed and living as our characters for the duration of the game.  Almost everyone is "in play" though everywhere may not be.

2. "Salon-Style LARPs" - I tell you what I'm doing in a manner similar to what tabletop RPGers would see as standard role-playing.  There are GMs who spend time OOP moderating or doing GMish things, but most interaction is between PCs.  Conflict resolution is generally done via some sort of randomizing element (R/S/P, dice, coin-toss, etc) or occassionally on a point-system basis. 

"Salon-style" LARPs have been, in my experience, less time consuming, require a less "active" player base, less about costuming and more PvP heavy.  Where as "Boffer" LARPs tend to be involve a longer time commitment (usually a full day at least, more often a whole weekend), generally involve more makeup/costuming/ props, more PVE centric and require a more active player base.

~KF

Wolfhowls

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 12:37:55 AM »
I'd be most in favor of more LARPs taking a look at Polaris.

Polaris the Con? or Polaris something else?

With all this talk about Diceless and LARP, I am really looking forward to learning the rules for Diceless. And looking into doing some LARPing.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:41:09 AM »
Polaris the Con? or Polaris something else?

Polaris, the RPG:

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16160&cat=0&bestseller

It's a 95% diceless game (there is a die rolled occasionally, but it's rare) that uses structured, ritual language for negotiating conflicts, and has my vote for "pen and paper RPG that LARPs could learn the most from".
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Wolfhowls

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 12:48:41 AM »
Carp ANOTHER role playing book I need/want to buy now. Lets see I'm buying Dresden Diceless and now Polaris ...I wonder what else will come out that I will have to get. Because sooner or later, I'm going to be without a kidney and eating ramen noodles all the damn time.

Offline Garthanos

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
It looks silly as hell, but since Rock Paper Scissors is basically rolling a d3 it would actually make a nice FATE conversion... win means +1, tie means 0, lose means -1. I am thoroughly opposed to larps in general, but they'd be at least a BIT better if they didn't use those fucked up Mind's Eye Theater rules.
It doesnt have to be silly...
It can be done descriptively call them Direct, Guided and Deceptive or Simple, Aimed and Fake if you wil, then add in some Risk choices to control how much oomph you are throwing in to it... and you have something with flavor. (my risk plus your risk equals the bonus to the intensity of the result for both of us)

Note while larping you could use cards with the words on them to ease simultaneous revealment.