Author Topic: Most Recent Posts Link  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
Most Recent Posts Link
« on: January 08, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
What happened to the most recent posts link at the bottom of the home page? It was in the "who's online" section above the list of Users active in past 15 minutes. I liked it!!! It was a nice way to see which threads were the most active and where everyone was congregating. 
Why'd it go away?   ???
I know the "Show unread posts since last visit" will do basically the same thing, except it lists by topics. You have to click each topic and then click the last page in that thread to see what was posted. The old way was listed by posts. You could just scroll through them, no matter the thread. Made it easier to notice conversations you'd like to join. The topic subject doesn't always reflect how the conversation has evolved. Even though the subject says they're talking about one thing, the conversation may have switched to something else.
I miss the old link.  :'(
~Paige

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Most Recent Posts Link
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
What happened to the most recent posts link at the bottom of the home page? It was in the "who's online" section above the list of Users active in past 15 minutes. I liked it!!! It was a nice way to see which threads were the most active and where everyone was congregating. 
Why'd it go away?   ???

Because every single page view of the forum index had to run the calculations necessary to give that information.  Since our site account was suspended due to excessive CPU usage, I had to cut back on frequent nontrivial queries such as the one necessary to display that.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Paige

• Conversationalist
  • Uh...what was the question?
    • View Profile
    • Author Paige Cuccaro~ Alison Paige
Re: Most Recent Posts Link
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 12:34:14 AM »
Because every single page view of the forum index had to run the calculations necessary to give that information.  Since our site account was suspended due to excessive CPU usage, I had to cut back on frequent nontrivial queries such as the one necessary to display that.

Oh. Okay.
Thanks!