Author Topic: More Topics  (Read 8915 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
More Topics
« on: January 02, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »
Is there any chance of a setting to allow us to view more than 20 topics at a time?  I understand the pain of having to load too much on a slow connection, but I'd love to be able to browse more without having to click over to second and third pages.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: More Topics
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:46:26 PM »
It's less about slow connections and more about the amount of load it puts on the server.

I've temporarily increased the number of topics per page to 40 instead of 20.  If the server starts belly-flopping more, I'm going to go back to the old days. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
Sweet, Thanks!  Lets hope it survives  8)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:33:02 PM »
It did not survive.

(In fact it got my account suspended until I promised to put the settings back where they were.)

CPU spikes got nasty.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:50:33 PM »
Sorry, Iago.  :-[

Was wondering what had the site offline all night.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:01:14 PM »
Iago,

Would it help the site load to move the McAnally's board section up to the level of the "General Chat" and break its child boards into the level of what is now McAnally's?   I don't know how the software works particularly, but it seems like it might lessen the load for it to not bring up the three child boards every time you open Mac's.  Or to make general McAnally's equivalent in status to the child boards so that it's not bringing up the 20 topics every time you want to get into the Touchy Topics?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 11:28:18 PM »
Iago,

Would it help the site load to move the McAnally's board section up to the level of the "General Chat" and break its child boards into the level of what is now McAnally's?   I don't know how the software works particularly, but it seems like it might lessen the load for it to not bring up the three child boards every time you open Mac's.  Or to make general McAnally's equivalent in status to the child boards so that it's not bringing up the 20 topics every time you want to get into the Touchy Topics?

McAnallys is at the highest level.  The child boards getting displayed aren't likely to be much of a problem, but I'll keep an eye on that.
Fred Hicks

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 11:29:04 PM »
Also: You don't have to click into McAnally's to get to Touchy Topics.  Child boards are listed right under McAnallys on the main page.  Look for 'em!
Fred Hicks

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 11:31:39 PM »
Well, sure, I *could* do it that way, but that would involve remembering that they exist before I check Mac's ;)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 02:25:38 AM »
Iago, I have a quick question.

Currently, we have three threads in McAnally's that exist to be topicless.  CAW, Weird, and Gardening.  How do you want us to handle that?  Do you want us to to notify y'all when it reaches a certain number of pages so you can split it off and move the backlog to nostalgia?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 04:34:47 PM »
Iago, I have a quick question.

Currently, we have three threads in McAnally's that exist to be topicless.  CAW, Weird, and Gardening.  How do you want us to handle that?  Do you want us to to notify y'all when it reaches a certain number of pages so you can split it off and move the backlog to nostalgia?

That'd be fine, yeah!
Fred Hicks

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »