Author Topic: Suggestion: Settings for "Unread Posts" ?  (Read 8818 times)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Settings for "Unread Posts" ?
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
Would it be possible to allow a user to set preferences for which unread posts they want to have added to the "Unread posts since last visit" list? I ask, because while I've read all of the Dresden books, I'm still working my way through the Codex Alera, and I've noticed several spoilery topic subjects in the Unread Posts list whenever I check it. I do my best to just ignore them, but things like "Isana's Marriage" and such still make an impression.

It might be helpful to posters who haven't read all of both series to be able to check off whether or not they want unread posts from both the Dresden section and the Codex Alera section, or even whether or not they want posts from the Spoilers sections of either forum to be added.

Thanks for your time and effort in running the board, Iago and mods.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Suggestion: Settings for "Unread Posts" ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 06:05:28 PM »
That's not possible without some very heavy code writing work, as far as I can tell.  Something I'm unlikely to have time for anytime soon. :P
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:10:50 PM »
Blast... I dont use the Unread post thing at all because it gets so bogged down in McAnally's
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Orissa

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:04 PM »
Would it be possible to allow a user to set preferences for which unread posts they want to have added to the "Unread posts since last visit" list? I ask, because while I've read all of the Dresden books, I'm still working my way through the Codex Alera, and I've noticed several spoilery topic subjects in the Unread Posts list whenever I check it. I do my best to just ignore them, but things like "Isana's Marriage" and such still make an impression.

It might be helpful to posters who haven't read all of both series to be able to check off whether or not they want unread posts from both the Dresden section and the Codex Alera section, or even whether or not they want posts from the Spoilers sections of either forum to be added.

Thanks for your time and effort in running the board, Iago and mods.

It does take a minute to do it, but I actually go into the sections I'm not interested in, like the Codex Alera since I haven't read any of them yet, then hit the 'mark as read' without even paying attention to the topic threads.  I go through all of the sections I don't read before I hit the 'Show Unread Posts since last visit' link.  It really shortens up the list!  :)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
Could there be a "Mark as Read" option to cover an entire board, so you could make a quick wi[pe of the spoiler boards for example?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »
It does take a minute to do it, but I actually go into the sections I'm not interested in, like the Codex Alera since I haven't read any of them yet, then hit the 'mark as read' without even paying attention to the topic threads.  I go through all of the sections I don't read before I hit the 'Show Unread Posts since last visit' link.  It really shortens up the list!  :)

That was a damn fine suggestion. I'll do that from now on, thanks. :)
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:26:05 PM »
Could there be a "Mark as Read" option to cover an entire board, so you could make a quick wi[pe of the spoiler boards for example?
That is exactly how the mark as read function works... so I don't understand this suggestion.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:08:12 AM »
That is exactly how the mark as read function works... so I don't understand this suggestion.

Apologies.  I thought it worked topic by topic.  Nevermind.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
I would strongly suggest folks orient more on using the "new replies to your posts" feature rather than the "unread posts since last visit" feature, as a first step, too -- it's less likely to hammer the crap out of things.  I'm not certain (yet) if the config changes I've made today are good enough to get things on the level, or if I'll need to take away other possible CPU hogs (which 'unread posts since last visit' might be).
Fred Hicks