Author Topic: Lara and Harry  (Read 1986 times)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Lara and Harry
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2024, 11:09:38 PM »
I happened to be re-reading Changes this week, and it turns out that the Fae can "lull [a Red Court vampire] predator spirit to sleep...
Well, Lea can.  Doubt it's a general thing that very many of the Fae can do!  I bet Mab can, and maybe Titania.  I doubt the Winter Ladies could do it:  Maeve was too much of a slacker, Molly is both too new, and likely still flinches every time she thinks deeply about Rampires.  I'm less clear about the Summer Ladies, but kind of doubt it:  Winter (as led by Mab) seems to embrace the "knowledge is power" trope more; Summer seems to more intuitively feel that knowledge flows from power.

Also, Lea talked about it as a secret, as knowledge that she could trade for; not an inherently "faerie" power.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2024, 12:55:20 PM »
Well, Lea can.  Doubt it's a general thing that very many of the Fae can do!  I bet Mab can, and maybe Titania.  I doubt the Winter Ladies could do it:  Maeve was too much of a slacker, Molly is both too new, and likely still flinches every time she thinks deeply about Rampires.  I'm less clear about the Summer Ladies, but kind of doubt it:  Winter (as led by Mab) seems to embrace the "knowledge is power" trope more; Summer seems to more intuitively feel that knowledge flows from power.

Also, Lea talked about it as a secret, as knowledge that she could trade for; not an inherently "faerie" power.

I think both Courts can do it, I don't buy that the Fae of Summer are less powerful than the Fae of Winter.  We have seen both Queens in action in Battle Ground, they seem pretty equal to me.  So while they can put the vamp part to sleep, it doesn't mean they can do it permanently.  Yeah, well, Lea was trying to make a sale or what she'd call a bargain.  The Fae are very good at the con game, while they cannot lie, they are not totally honest either.  What they do is push just enough truth, i.e. Lea said she'd trade for the knowledge, which she is vague about, but at the same time not lying about, in the hopes that Harry would be so desperate for a cure that he'd lie to himself about what it was exactly, that she was trading, and make a bargain for it.. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:36:53 PM by Mira »

Offline peterwiggin94

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2024, 04:20:46 PM »
Jim has said that any fight between Mab and Titania would almost definitively be a toss up. I think the Summer Mother in the visit to the Outer Gates in Cold Days talked about Mab and Titania's power being equal. My memory is that Mab is personally powerful and controls vast armies to protect the Outer Gates. Titania is equally powerful with a much smaller army, relatively speaking, as a check on Mab. Mab can't take over anywhere else because Titania would personally kill or maim her if Mab tried anything squirrelly. My strong suspicion is that the Ladies and Mothers are equally powerful as well.
I bet any of the Faerie queens could do remove or greatly restrict the Whampire demon if their job description allowed for it. I don't know if any would. My bet is on Mab and Titania's job giving them the power to do it solely because Mab threatened to make Thomas the Winter Knight and I don't think she would want competition for control or influence on Thomas.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 04:26:29 PM by peterwiggin94 »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2024, 01:52:34 AM »
I bet any of the Faerie queens could do remove or greatly restrict the Whampire demon if their job description allowed for it. I don't know if any would. My bet is on Mab and Titania's job giving them the power to do it solely because Mab threatened to make Thomas the Winter Knight and I don't think she would want competition for control or influence on Thomas.
I'd have to re-read the passage for the precise wording:  it could have been just a bluff, a pressure-tactic against Harry.  But even so, I'd bet that Mab is entirely-willing to use a Whampire's hunger-demon as part of her manipulation-campaign against a Winter Knight.

Thomas would be especially-vulnerable:
  • isolate him from Justine "because training"
  • give him tons of hot&eager wintersidhe (from whom he can feed freely without risk of killing them.
Condition him to be unrestrained & incautious.  Then, when he has done some mission that made him spend deeply from the Whamp reserves, is desperately (even catastrophically) Hungry:
  • make all that Faerie Hotness "unfortunately-unavailable"
  • toss a vulnerable mortal Doe his way
Let the virtually-inevitable happen.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2024, 04:51:49 PM »
I'd have to re-read the passage for the precise wording:  it could have been just a bluff, a pressure-tactic against Harry.  But even so, I'd bet that Mab is entirely-willing to use a Whampire's hunger-demon as part of her manipulation-campaign against a Winter Knight.

Thomas would be especially-vulnerable:
  • isolate him from Justine "because training"
  • give him tons of hot&eager wintersidhe (from whom he can feed freely without risk of killing them.
Condition him to be unrestrained & incautious.  Then, when he has done some mission that made him spend deeply from the Whamp reserves, is desperately (even catastrophically) Hungry:
  • make all that Faerie Hotness "unfortunately-unavailable"
  • toss a vulnerable mortal Doe his way
Let the virtually-inevitable happen.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

All of that could be true, but I have reread the passage as well more than once and I think it is all part of the Fae Con.. Harry has been burnt enough by it, that when he listened to Lea's offer he realized she was telling him just enough of what he wanted to hear, so that he would then proceed to lie to himself about what she just told him.  No the Fae cannot lie, but they can make you lie to yourself.. That's why trying to bargain with them is so dangerous.  How often has Mab smugly said paraphrasing now, "that's what you thought I meant, but that's not what I really said."