Author Topic: New Microsoft Fiction???  (Read 1203 times)

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
New Microsoft Fiction???
« on: September 22, 2023, 04:49:32 AM »
I saw an Instagram Post from McNallysPubCast, that mentioned a new MicroFiction i think is called "Red Alert "?

Is this legitimate? I haven't been able to find it. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Microsoft Fiction???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 03:05:19 PM »
I saw an Instagram Post from McNallysPubCast, that mentioned a new MicroFiction i think is called "Red Alert "?

Is this legitimate? I haven't been able to find it.

It seems to be legit, yes.  "RinthCon" was an event last month, with multiple authors in attendance.
It appears they released a "Collected Rinthcon 2023" which includes this Dresden short.

It's a very different sort of DF story, and I suspect it doesn't have much to do with the overall continuity of the Dresdenverse.

The year is 2323 and the location is an asteroid on the other side of Saturn where people are still doing what they have always done: they hold science fiction conventions. The annual sci-fi and fantasy event RinthCon is about to kick off when an accident involving an unknown piece of technology bridges alternate universes and brings characters from literature to the event.

Just when the organizers thought they were ready for anything…
-- https://www.amazon.com/Collected-RinthCon-2323-Jim-Butcher-ebook/dp/B0CHQYCQ4S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2LD2C8JN540JR
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 10:36:56 PM by g33k »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 06:53:56 PM »
Read it, we have to assume it’s canon, if so it foreshadows the Time Travel book where Harry sorts out all the plot holes in the Dresden files. It shows Harry is capable of time travel. It also presumes the world survives until at least 2323. The place in the time-line is post battle Ground but otherwise unclear, it likely after Little Things.

After this that time travel book can only really have one title RET CON.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 08:08:36 PM »
There was an audio interview, Beyond the Trope,  where he mentioned that one the last books before the BAT, would be a time travel book where he goes back to fix all the errors in the timeline.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:34:43 PM »

Looks like it is free on Kindle... Got to go charge it up.. ;)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 09:58:33 PM »
There was an audio interview, Beyond the Trope,  where he mentioned that one the last books before the BAT, would be a time travel book where he goes back to fix all the errors in the timeline.

So the person who fixed Little Chicago was….. Harry.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 10:31:35 PM »
So portals to the future work, portals to the past work. Portals between Fiction Universes and the 'Real' Universe exist.  Someone designed an unknown piece of technology that can bridge alternate universes. 

I'd say this pretty much confirms that cross dimensional travel isn't strictly possible for only the same date/time.  Past in one reality can link to some point in the future of another reality, and vice versa which is something that I've argued is possible.  Others argued that Mirror Mirror would strictly be at the same point in time relative to what was occuring in Dresden Files at that time.

It's not just information that can cross realities when looking into the future but actual material and people.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 10:42:22 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 01:22:33 AM »
So the person who fixed Little Chicago was….. Harry.
TimeTravel!Harry (and Mab, entering via the MurderGarden) have been my favorite two for this, for years now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 04:03:10 AM by g33k »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 10:27:40 PM »
We're gonna get some answers in the next book we'll get some more answers in the one after that although fewer. I mean Mirror Mirror is basically we're gonna jump over into the next universe and see how things are going. And we'll sort of be able to see-that universe will be a few years ahead of where Harry's universe is now so you'll sort of be able to see the direction things are going and that should be a lot of fun. Things got worse faster in the mirror universe that we're going to-there's actually an entire spectrum of parallel realities that are existing in the Dresden Files universe and this is just going to be the nearest parallel reality that you can get to that's significantly different. Because there's always a cloud of parallel realities that are almost exactly the same but not quite.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 10:42:09 PM »
We're gonna get some answers in the next book we'll get some more answers in the one after that although fewer. I mean Mirror Mirror is basically we're gonna jump over into the next universe and see how things are going. And we'll sort of be able to see-that universe will be a few years ahead of where Harry's universe is now so you'll sort of be able to see the direction things are going and that should be a lot of fun. Things got worse faster in the mirror universe that we're going to-there's actually an entire spectrum of parallel realities that are existing in the Dresden Files universe and this is just going to be the nearest parallel reality that you can get to that's significantly different. Because there's always a cloud of parallel realities that are almost exactly the same but not quite.

I think I recall seeing this previously.
I found it a bit ambiguous:  is it talking about actual time-travel?

Or rather, that various Bad Guy(tm) plans are "a few years ahead" because this universe's alt!Harry never foiled those plans?

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 12:06:09 AM »
Yeah we had big discussion on this before about parallel reality hopping vs time travel. 
It appears that there isn't a strict one to one clock for the two alternate realities.  It seemed to me that Harry would be jumping to a Mirror Mirror world that has a date greater than the one he is jumping from.  That said, it could be that events just played out faster cuz -Harry helped get "Bad guy plans a few years ahead.
I think proper time travel is going into past within one reality though your interactions could cause splits going forward due to that travel.  It seems parallel reality hopping has more wiggle room with relative clocks.

I don't know how Jim parses this vs his claim that the time travel book wont happen until the book prior to BAT.  My arguments were that reality hopping was another form of time travel.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 12:08:06 AM by raidem »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
Harry has avoided a number of Apolcalypses so a Harry who didn’t has likely doomed his world, Red Court Rampant, White Council destroyed, white Court on the rampage under Raith, the Fae Courts out of balance and at War, Nicky’s plague running rampant a Kemmlerite god on the rampage together with a Titan.  The outer Gates in direct peril. This world is dying, and if it falls to the Outsiders then the multiverse is in peril. Uriel may therefore prune this reality any time soon. It is in its endgame early and losing. That is what I think is mean’t by that quote, it’s a wonderful life moment for Harry.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 07:29:36 PM »
Microsoft fiction????  ???

I did not know that. I will try to find it when I arrive home, so thanks RobReece for the information.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 09:48:39 PM »
Microsoft fiction????  ???
I think you have autocorrectupt to thank for this.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 11:38:01 PM »
I think you have autocorrectupt to thank for this.

:D :D
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)