Author Topic: What have I missed.  (Read 1871 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
What have I missed.
« on: July 19, 2023, 09:33:44 PM »
Could I get an update on what has gone on since I was last on.  I'm on the Discord channel for The Defiance of the Fall by J.F. Brink and a patreon supporter there too.  I got into a discussion about the Dresden Files there and sorta have wondered what has all been happening since I was last posting here.
THanks.
Raidem
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: What have I missed.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 10:44:02 PM »
Ok I just read the Fugitive.  It was good.  So we get to see Cowl at a Farmhouse. I was thinking of Eb but I'm sure that Mouse has been around when Eb visited Harry's apartment.  So, I think we can eliminate Eb as a possible Cowl.   It also seemed like Cowl isn't the massively overpowered guy that we/i thought he was.

I'm reading others postings and come back here to reflect.
So I don't think Cowl is Evil Harry as I'm sure Mouse would have detected that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 10:56:21 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 11:08:45 PM »
Oh.  I'm thinking that maybe Mister got a Power Up with the Nemean Lion possessing him. I mean Michael got a power up from having held Uriel's mantle in some way it seems.

Did Jim get sick at a con/Floridacon?  I think i saw someone suggest that in one of the threads?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:11:03 PM by raidem »

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 11:10:20 PM »
He does call him "Master of the future." Everyone thinks time Lord ala the doctor style. I could see the key word in that actually being Master. Referring to his Master, as in "Dresden of the future." Would play into the MM time travel idea.
*Him picking up on alt Harry is expressed by calling him 'Master'.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:32:14 PM by The_Sibelis »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 11:12:02 PM »
Yeah, that Master of the Future really hints at a time traveling angle.  I just think Mouse would have picked up on him being Harry/AltHarry etc.    The Master of the Future bit doesn't come into play until after Mouse has already bit/broken bones of Cowl.  I'd think he would pick up on a scent/etc unless AltHarry would be using a different body like Corpseweaver or whatever her name was that could switch bodies.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 11:52:56 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 11:58:36 PM »
I like Griffyn612 theory on Raphael being involved with Demonreach's creation.  Mac could definitely be Raphael or at least an person who had held his Mantle at some point.  Merlin? Or some other instance of a former holder of an Archangels mantle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 12:00:25 AM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 12:48:34 AM »
You know I do think there is a Future Harry running around.  There seems to be many instances of people believing that something bad was of Harry's doing, and he has to reassure people repeatedly that it wasn't him.  I mean it could be some mimic.  I mean I think Mac has asked Harry if it was him on multiple occasions.  Maybe it is a AltHarry or a MimicHarry that is in play in the background.

Alternatively, perhaps some of Powers needing reassurance are wanting it because they are somewhat aware of the parallel timelines and see a Evil Harry.  They hope that Harry isn't/hasn't/won't go down that path.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:02:10 AM by raidem »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 07:50:30 AM »
Raidem, what have you read? Post Battle Ground there are four short stories and the Novella The Law, the latter giving several important pieces of information.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 10:08:12 AM »
I think I have read them all with having completed the Fugitive read yesterday.
I know I have read 1, The Law, 2. The Fugitive, 3.  Little Things, 4. ???.

I read one with Molly working as the Winter Lady doing tasks for Mab.   I've read the Law but likely have forgotten much about it.  Like it seems I'm having a hard time figuring out where Nameless comes from.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 10:09:54 AM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 12:54:33 PM »
Oh I think I stumbled across a theory that Sarissa is/was Kumori.  Kinda interesting.  I'd suspect if that is the case that she no longer is held by Cowl.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 01:30:34 PM »
Ok I just read the Fugitive.  It was good.  So we get to see Cowl at a Farmhouse. I was thinking of Eb but I'm sure that Mouse has been around when Eb visited Harry's apartment.  So, I think we can eliminate Eb as a possible Cowl.   It also seemed like Cowl isn't the massively overpowered guy that we/i thought he was.

I'm reading others postings and come back here to reflect.
So I don't think Cowl is Evil Harry as I'm sure Mouse would have detected that.

There might be a future Harry running around, but we haven't seen him yet if he is.  Like Rashid, pretty hard not to notice someone of their respective heights.  So I agree, Cowl isn't Harry, nor do I believe he is anyone else but who he is, Cowl.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
Oh I think I stumbled across a theory that Sarissa is/was Kumori.  Kinda interesting.  I'd suspect if that is the case that she no longer is held by Cowl.

One of mine, indeed pretty much all the theories are mine, even where they contradict each other. Especially when they contradict each other.

Cowl would have to have a connection to Kumori and both Nameless and Sarissa were members of the Winter Court. Mab was at one time a mortal practitioner (see Peace Talks) and is mother of Sarissa, with magical ability running down the female line. So Sarissa should have had the ability to be Kumori. Sarissa’ has an inclination towards healing (as per Cold Days) and Nameless was a previous known associate of Kemmler (The Law) and would therefore have  knowledge of life and death that Kemmler had, attractive to someone who wants to defeat death. Kumori uses that knowledge to save Marcone’s man on Whacker, something pretty much beyond Listens To The Wind.

Nameless would have been manipulating Sarissa for years using Lloyd Slate as his personal bogeyman to force her to seek his protection (Lloyd was bad to all the changelings see Summer Knight) and then dangle the offer of forbidden knowledge. Being expelled from Arctis Tor on suspicion of involvement in the attack on it in Proven Guilty he lost his ability to manipulate Sarissa and no more is heard of Kumori.

Kumori was involved in the events of Grave Peril (where Maeve had moved her Court to Chicago at this point), Blood Rites (she is shown abducting the puppies with Cowl in Fugitive and Zoo Day) and Dead Beat. That fits perfectly the arc of Nameless and Sarissa both being part of the Winter Court and in Chicago.

Re read The  Law. It expressly points to Nameless as being connected to Kemmler, and being part of the Winter Court exiled for suspicion of involvement as the inside man in the attack on Arctis Tor. Both of these would be required for someone to be Cowl (in Dead Beat Cowl recognised Bod and that he contained The Word) He is the right power level for Cowl and resides in Chicago. As Marcone’s Lawyer he was aware of the vault in Skin Game and would have been in a position to notify Tessa to try to derail Nick, suggesting she was the Denarian involved in the attack on Arctis Tor.

Harry has some of this information The Red Cap, Sarissa and Mab all have more information. Marcone and Namshiel too will have information regarding Nameless/Tessa, nobody has it all but I suspect Harry will put it all together over the Next Book.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2023, 08:21:52 PM »
Sarissa cannot be Kumori. Go reread Cold Days for all the reasons.

Wizards get a sense of another wizard by touching them. Sarissa was Harry's physical therapist for 7+ months. There had to be contact there, especially in the early stages where Harry was regaining his mobility. Plus, it would have been easy to engineer an "oopsie" during one of Mab's tests that resulted in Harry's death.

Sarissa would have to be the world's greatest shinobi/wizard/actress to have fooled the Winter Court, Eldest Gruff, Vadderung/Kringle, Maeve and later Nemesis/Maeve and Mab for hundreds of years. If she was that good, Cowl would have been her flunky.

I highly doubt that Kumori wouldn't have taken some action when Harry and Fix went against Maeve. She was going to die if the Outsiders or Maeve won.

Jim's love of foreshadowing has everyone overthinking every new character. Sometimes things are as simple as they appear.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 01:07:29 AM »
Well it's not like we don't already have woj transfiguration is on the list of stuff Harry's supposed to learn. So I don't think,"he is not immediately identifiable to the reader" really outs anyone as cowl. Cowls meant to be obscured. Anything directly identifying him or anyone doing so sorta outs the game intentionally set up where we do not know for sure who cowl is. Jim was already hesitant from writing a mouse short specifically because he knows too much to be allowed too much monologue on anything overarching.
And I confess. Considering the connection between size and importance, wizards and fae, breaking ones word, ect. I rather think MM Harry will be a couple inches shorter than Harry. Not a lot, but noticable.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 06:01:36 AM »
Sarissa cannot be Kumori. Go reread Cold Days for all the reasons.

Wizards get a sense of another wizard by touching them. Sarissa was Harry's physical therapist for 7+ months. There had to be contact there, especially in the early stages where Harry was regaining his mobility. Plus, it would have been easy to engineer an "oopsie" during one of Mab's tests that resulted in Harry's death.

Sarissa would have to be the world's greatest shinobi/wizard/actress to have fooled the Winter Court, Eldest Gruff, Vadderung/Kringle, Maeve and later Nemesis/Maeve and Mab for hundreds of years. If she was that good, Cowl would have been her flunky.

I highly doubt that Kumori wouldn't have taken some action when Harry and Fix went against Maeve. She was going to die if the Outsiders or Maeve won.

Jim's love of foreshadowing has everyone overthinking every new character. Sometimes things are as simple as they appear.

She’s not a properly mortal practitioner like a Wizard, she’s a Changeling. You are inferring that one set of rules apply to her when it isn’t clear that is the case. We do not have enough information to ascertain whether the same rules apply as regards mortal practitioners, whether she was taught a way to hide this or whatever by Nameless/Cowl. We do however have the facts set our above as regards her and Kumori’s time-line and that of Nameless and Cowl.

She spent decades making sure she was overlooked so as not to get on Maeves radar, so of course she was hiding from everyone.