Author Topic: Instinct, short stories for puppy rescue  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Instinct, short stories for puppy rescue
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 05:45:04 PM »
Michael has a hot-line to Uriel who works with the Angel of Death, its prayer not a mind-link it’s interesting though that Kincaid the Hellhound is on Uriel’s radar in a good way. This would suggest Kincaid is on a redemption arc

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 08:00:21 PM »
... As for lash or Alfred, they are DESIGNED to communicate with humans, it is a key function - in Lash's case, absolutely essential ...
I repeat:  Lash isn't a separate "entity."  She's part of Harry's own mind.

... Are mental links a violation, or is CONTROL a violation? ...
The 3rd Law is, "Thou Shalt Not Invade the Mind of Another."  That seems pretty straight, but there's ambiguity on what constitutes an "invasion" (I think, after Peabody, the Council lightened-up a bit in their attitudes toward psychomancy).  "Control" has its own whole Law of Magic!  "Thou Shalt Not Enthrall Another" is the Fourth Law.  Again, it's nice and simple on the face of it, but admits of a large gray zone when you interrogate "enthrallment."

Even a 100% mutual & consensual mindlink spell (such Harry & Elaine used) would previously (pre-Peabody) have been seen as at least highly-dubious (likely contributing to fears & allegations of black magic, tho not seen as proof-positive, telling at trial but only circumstantial evidence).

Now they see the need to work on mental defenses, and so they need to work more robustly with the techniques and methods, and so they need to allow such minor and innocuous magics.

The key issue is willingness.  In particular, reading the mind of someone who hasn't given their active consent is forbidden.

... And even Michael has been known to use them - when Kincaid was hurt, Michael said "It's not his time" "how do you know?" "I asked"
I that think Michael is telling Harry he asked in prayer -- and got an answer.  That's not mindlink magic.

... I'd also guess that creatures of a certain level don't get auto-soulgazed. I don't think you can stare at Uriel and forge a link unless he permits it.
Given that a much weaker angel shut down Harry's Sight, I agree.
But also, recall that most creatures don't get soul-gazed at all.  Outside of humanity itself, I think it's pretty rare.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 05:59:48 AM by g33k »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 08:20:58 PM »

No, I don't think you can say that, she started out as the Shadow of Lasciel who eventually morphed into Lash.  Actually I think in the end Bonea will turn out to be Lash.

Offline kel0700

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 10:59:28 PM »
Hey this connection might be a bit weak but I noticed two scenes that are sorta linked that have made me believe that Justin is really cowl.

One is this scene in fugitive
“Harry,” Cowl muttered, staring at me. “You are an almighty pain in my ass.” The fires leapt higher on the other side of the farmhouse, and the shadows darkened. Now we came to it. “Ash,” Cowl said. “Nix his aura if you please.”

You'll notice that cowl refers to Harry as Harry but also cowl says "if you please"

The second scene is one which occurs in ghost story

"In my peripheral vision, I saw Justin turn back to his book. “Once more, if you please.”

Again I know its sort of a weak link but the fact that cowl referred to Harry as Harry in a familiar way and the fact that cowl and Justin both say "if you please" also by Jim's own admission he's a lazy writer and if something is in the story it's for a reason, I'm convinced that Justin is Cowl.
What do yous guys think?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2023, 12:13:40 AM »
No one on the Justin is Cowl team has pointed out that he called his Foo Dog Ash, Justin who they think supposedly burned to death.

Still think Nameless is Cowl.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 05:40:46 AM »
Because the Justin is Cowl team doesn't think he burned to death. The good guys in the books do. We just disagree on which WoJ is a deception. He could call the dog Ash because it was the one he saved from the burning building Harry fled from with Mouse and his littermates.

You do realize that Justin could be Cowl and Nameless could have still done all the other things you conjecture as one of his allies on the Black Council. The only theory of yours it upsets is Cowl's identity.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2023, 06:36:32 AM »
Michael has a hot-line to Uriel who works with the Angel of Death, its prayer not a mind-link it’s interesting though that Kincaid the Hellhound is on Uriel’s radar in a good way. This would suggest Kincaid is on a redemption arc

And who is to say prayer is NOT a specific kind of mind link? just the message is to/from a higher being?

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2023, 06:52:49 AM »
... As for lash or Alfred, they are DESIGNED to communicate with humans, it is a key function - in Lash's case, absolutely essential ...

No. She is implanted in his mind. If it was just his mind, how did he learned to speak Etruscan, or Sumerian (is that what the ghouls spoke?), or know how to dislocate his thumb to slip cuffs? Improve his guitar playing? Another entity had to be there whispering in his ear.
The 3rd Law is, "Thou Shalt Not Invade the Mind of Another."  That seems pretty straight, but there's ambiguity on what constitutes an "invasion" (I think, after Peabody, the Council lightened-up a bit in their attitudes toward psychomancy).  "Control" has its own whole Law of Magic!  "Thou Shalt Not Enthrall Another" is the Fourth Law.  Again, it's nice and simple on the face of it, but admits of a large gray zone when you interrogate "enthrallment."

Even a 100% mutual & consensual mindlink spell (such Harry & Elaine used) would previously (pre-Peabody) have been seen as at least highly-dubious (likely contributing to fears & allegations of black magic, tho not seen as proof-positive, telling at trial but only circumstantial evidence).

Now they see the need to work on mental defenses, and so they need to work more robustly with the techniques and methods, and so they need to allow such minor and innocuous magics.

The key issue is willingness.  In particular, reading the mind of someone who hasn't given their active consent is forbidden.
What about talking? Seems the Merlin was giving orders in the mistfiend fight? Did anyone ask for that? That was a conversation, mind reading is snooping. If I invited you in, and go to get refreshments in the kitchen, mind reading is rummaging thru my desk. Not implied by letting you in.

If we look at another UF world, Atticus has a link with Oberon - he "talks" to him, but no more compulsion than any dog owner would have on his pet.  Why can't Harry and Mouse?

I that think Michael is telling Harry he asked in prayer -- and got an answer.  That's not mindlink magic.
Unless a prayer IS a mindlink from a higher being.

But also, recall that most creatures don't get soul-gazed at all.  Outside of humanity itself, I think it's pretty rare.

Maybe you NEED a soul, and non-sentient beings may not usually have that.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2023, 08:19:20 AM »
And who is to say prayer is NOT a specific kind of mind link? just the message is to/from a higher being?

Uriel is an intellectus, it’s like Harry writing a note to Ivy, when someone prays. It’s just that Michael has been assigned his own ring-tone. Probably Amazing Grace, as I believe he once sang it. Harry’s is the main theme to Star Wars, Butters is of course Polka, Sanya ? I like to think the theme to Tetris, Shiro? Something by Elvis obviously. Murphy “I fought the Law, and the law won”

Mouse I believe has a Grace, meaning he is mostly soul.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 08:28:39 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2023, 09:22:58 PM »
No, I don't think you can say that, she started out as the Shadow of Lasciel who eventually morphed into Lash.
I think Lash became her "own person" (an independent entity) only at the very end.
When she exercised her free will, for the very first time... and chose to die in order to save Harry.

Before that, she was essentially just an automaton, going through the rotes that Lasciel had programmed into her.

Actually I think in the end Bonea will turn out to be Lash.
Although I think it unlikely, though not impossible.

WoJ says that Bob had a similar origin to Bonea (by that I presume he meant that:
  • the Shadow of a supernatural heavyweight was placed into the mind of a mortal wizard
  • the then Shadow developed Free Will
  • the Shadow performed some act of sacrifice/love/etc
This created a new spirit (who we know as Bob the Skull).

A key issue, for me, is that we can take Bob's word as a matter of core expertise; it isn't just general "probably this way" magical theory, which Bob can get wrong (particularly when he strays into matters of "Soul" and "good-vs-evil" and areas outside his academic core).

But how he himself was created?  How this works, in general?
I gotta presume Bob knows about this stuff...  And Bob thnks Lash is gone.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2023, 09:32:26 PM »
The Dresdenfiles canon itself.
"Mindlink" is thing of magic; there needs to be a spell cast.  Spell-casting is a relatively-rare ability, even the minor talents like Charity's and the Ordo Lebes's.

But anyone can pray.  Everyone can pray.

Maybe when you get an answer, that's "mindlink" style "magic."  Maybe -- since God has that whole "omniscience" thing goin' on -- God has a continual Mindlink to everyone.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2023, 10:09:01 PM »
The Dresdenfiles canon itself.
"Mindlink" is thing of magic; there needs to be a spell cast.  Spell-casting is a relatively-rare ability, even the minor talents like Charity's and the Ordo Lebes's.

But anyone can pray.  Everyone can pray.

Maybe when you get an answer, that's "mindlink" style "magic."  Maybe -- since God has that whole "omniscience" thing goin' on -- God has a continual Mindlink to everyone.

Prayer can be REQUESTING a link, but some entity with more power has to establish it to get two way comm.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2023, 02:01:28 PM »
I think Lash became her "own person" (an independent entity) only at the very end.
When she exercised her free will, for the very first time... and chose to die in order to save Harry.

Before that, she was essentially just an automaton, going through the rotes that Lasciel had programmed into her.

Although I think it unlikely, though not impossible.

WoJ says that Bob had a similar origin to Bonea (by that I presume he meant that:
  • the Shadow of a supernatural heavyweight was placed into the mind of a mortal wizard
  • the then Shadow developed Free Will
  • the Shadow performed some act of sacrifice/love/etc
This created a new spirit (who we know as Bob the Skull).

A key issue, for me, is that we can take Bob's word as a matter of core expertise; it isn't just general "probably this way" magical theory, which Bob can get wrong (particularly when he strays into matters of "Soul" and "good-vs-evil" and areas outside his academic core).

But how he himself was created?  How this works, in general?
I gotta presume Bob knows about this stuff...  And Bob thnks Lash is gone.

Lea is most likely Bob’s ‘father’, she is a dark muse giving inspiration in return for an early death. Remember Lash was able to act as a muse for Harry in playing the guitar. Her interest in children also has to be considered as does Bob’s excitement at seeing her when hiding from Winter. Jim has said we have seen Bob’s parents, suggesting that we have seen a mortal  from about 1200 years ago, which is the Gatekeeper, possibly The prisoner in Demonreach, perhaps Nameless or here is a weird one mortal MAB before she became the Winter Lady. Timing would be right given what we know from Peace Talks, what if Mab wanted inspiration as to magic to be able to attract Merlin, got it, realised it was a death sentence and then took on the Winter Lady Mantle to survive it, as an immortal? Bob would then certainly have the requisite knowledge of killing immortals in that instance.

Under this theory Bob has two mummies, and it would be incredibly sneaky of Jim to do this, misdirecting all the readers.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2023, 10:00:45 PM »
Lea is most likely Bob’s ‘father’, she is a dark muse giving inspiration in return for an early death ... 
I think Lea and Mab are each likely candidates for the creation of the Bob-to-be Shadow.

Mab -- as the more-powerful, and the one prone to r-e-a-l-l-y long-term planning -- is IMHO more likely.  In this WAG, Bob is actually a deep-cover Winter agent, an invaluable tool for mortal wizards... who don't realize that Mab set Bob's original programming in place.  Bob is afraid of Winter (particularly Mab) precisely because (like Lash did) he gained his independence of the programming and "went rogue."  Alternatively, Bob hasn't gone rogue, and secretly is still Mab's faithful servant; he's feigning terror as part of his cover, to deflect suspicion.  Every time he goes on a "scouting mission" for Harry (or any other wizard) he has a chance to touch base.

... Jim has said we have seen Bob’s parents, suggesting that we have seen a mortal  from about 1200 years ago, which is the Gatekeeper
The Gatekeeper is an interesting theory!  I think it among the more-likely I've seen, in fact.

Rashid + Mab ?  It works rather well, actually!

But do we know Bob's age that precisely, "about 1200 years"?

IIRC we only know that "Etienne the Enchanter" put Bob into the skull in "the Middle Ages."  That might be as old as 450ish CE, as recent as 1500ish, depending on who you consult.

And I've got to point out that -- IIRC -- we know little to nothing about pre-Skull Bob... was he previously bound into a staff?  A different skull?  Did he lurk discorporate in caves for a century?  Maybe he has a longer pre-Skull history than he has since Etienne!  Maybe "Bob" was actually a "rough draft" or "proof of concept" project for what eventually became The Archive.  (unlikely, I admit!  But my point is:  we have very little solid info)

... possibly The prisoner in Demonreach, perhaps Nameless
Anyone imprisoned in Demonreach is frankly too-powerful for the "mortal host" role; either could have been the Supernatural Baby-Daddy.

... or here is a weird one mortal MAB before she became the Winter Lady. Timing would be right given what we know from Peace Talks, what if Mab wanted inspiration as to magic to be able to attract Merlin, got it, realised it was a death sentence and then took on the Winter Lady Mantle to survive it, as an immortal?
Merlin's orgin was -- at least, Arthur was -- more like 1500-1600 years ago.  Given the power Merlin displayed, and that we know he used time-related magic, the phrase "Merlin's Origin" may be a confounding one until canon or WoJ speaks unambiguously!

I'm not positive, but I *think* I recall WoJ that Lea elevated as Mab did; it was Mab's "patronage" that made Lea the power she is today.  If I am recalling correctly, that would preclude the Lea+
Mab combo.

But I'm pretty sure Mab's ascension was part of a much-larger event involving a Starborn, and at least Amoracchius (maybe one or both of the other Swords, too).

Bob would then certainly have the requisite knowledge of killing immortals in that instance...
I presume most immortals have that knowledge.
Bob could have gotten it from virtually any Shadow-parent who was an immortal.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2023, 11:44:29 PM »
Hey this connection might be a bit weak but I noticed two scenes that are sorta linked that have made me believe that Justin is really cowl.

One is this scene in fugitive
“Harry,” Cowl muttered, staring at me. “You are an almighty pain in my ass.” The fires leapt higher on the other side of the farmhouse, and the shadows darkened. Now we came to it. “Ash,” Cowl said. “Nix his aura if you please.”

You'll notice that cowl refers to Harry as Harry but also cowl says "if you please"

The second scene is one which occurs in ghost story

"In my peripheral vision, I saw Justin turn back to his book. “Once more, if you please.”

Again I know its sort of a weak link but the fact that cowl referred to Harry as Harry in a familiar way and the fact that cowl and Justin both say "if you please" also by Jim's own admission he's a lazy writer and if something is in the story it's for a reason, I'm convinced that Justin is Cowl.
What do yous guys think?

Maybe, but I think it's just that, as you say, Jim is a lazy writer.  "Misplaced politeness & and a touch of formality" is Jim's signifier for the really dangerous villains, the ones who think:

Shadow, if you would, disable Dresden.
- Nicodemus Archleone, addressing Lasciel's Shadow (unbeknownst to him, now gone); Small Favor ch.45

One could, I suppose, argue that Nicodemus' different phrasing lends extra weight to the fact that Cowl & DuMorne used the same phrasing.  But I find the argument tenuous, at best.