Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 30160 times)

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2023, 06:53:36 PM »
Norway sounds like an awesome place for a vacation.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2023, 07:09:37 PM »
Well, I'm here visiting a friend. It's been quite nice, though today the weather took a dip below freezing and it started snowing. One thing I've really appreciated is the public transit. My friends don't own a car which is a bit weird being from the US, but we haven't really needed one. It's a pleasant surprise.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline PilgrimDan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2023, 08:07:47 PM »
I hope you enjoy your vacation.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2023, 11:01:05 PM »
Ah yes, I've heard that in most Europe public transportation is good. It is the same in my country. Pretty much every Argentinian going to USA (except NYC or something like that) comments about how weird it is that you are expected to have a car and always use it. I often wonder how people who cannot drive (impaired people or elder people) manage.
How long does the daylight last right now?
Also, have you tried Fernet? It is an Italian alcoholic beverage, but I heard that it is quite popular in Scandinavia. Or here. It is huge here (I am not a fan, but I tolerate it mixed with Coca-Cola)

It is so good to see both of you here, boys. 💗💗💗
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2023, 11:42:10 PM »
Hello people! Sorry for the double post but I wanted to tell you that this was an exhausting week for my country. On Sunday, we have the general elections. No candidate got the % of votes needed for winning in one round, so we now go to ballotage, that is, a second round with only the most voted candidates competing for the presidency.
At least we already defined governors, senators, majors and all that. That is something.
The definitive election will be on November 19. But when I said it was exhausting week, it was because a lot happened in these 5 days.

Let's see how things go in my country, with the presidential elections.
1) There is a preliminary election, with includes elections within the parties. And only the parties obtaining more than a certain % of the votes (3% I believe, I do not remember it) can go to the general elections.
2) General elections, with those parties that reached the threshold only (and one candidate for party, as this is not an internal election). There are two ways one candidate can win the presidency at this stage. a) they got more than 45% of the votes. b) they got at least 40% and at least 10% of difference from the forerunner.
3) if there is no winner in the general elections, the two candidates with more votes go to ballotage (battle royale!)

Well, in this case, preliminary election gave 5 parties, only 3 of them with real chances.
In the general election, party A got around 37%, party B 30%, party C 23%, party D got 7% and party E got 3.

Now is when things got interesting. Party C did all their campaign saying their goal was to destroy party A for ever. Of course they also said bad things about the other parties, but not so bad. Party B said that party A and party C were awful, and really insulted them, especially one of the groups conforming party C (which is made of several groups). Well, after the elections, the candidate of party C and some of their supporters said they will vote for candidate B and asked their voters to do the same. But other members of party C rejected that! Most of them said both parties were bad, but every voter should judge if their vote blank (white? Vote for no one) or choose one candidate. But some others said they support candidate A because candidate C is truly awful.
In case you are interested, party E said they would never vote candidate B, but no necessarily are all going to vote for candidate A. Party D is much of a mystery but their candidate said he will no vote any candidate. Their supporters can do the surprise.
So, basically party C is a turmoil and will probably be broken. Party B is compromising with party C and some of their voters are no happy.
So, there are insults, shock and outrage all around. Party A is mostly eating popcorn but as you can imagine, things are very interesting. And will probably be in the next few weeks.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2023, 05:07:46 PM »
@Dina

This really sounds exhausting. I hope the one winning in the end will be the one you would have supported.

@DC

Have fun in Norway. I would like to visit the country some day. We are planning a trip to Ireland for next year and stay with friends for a few days. After that maybe a road trip with bed and breakfast. Not sure yet. There are several places we want to see again and want to show to the kids.

We will have our kittens on Wednesday!

Edit:
Forgot to say: I'm still reading the new Percy Jackson adventure. It is nice and funny as always. The spin-off was good (the one with too much romance), but the secret is almost out. I did not betray anything, but she found the book on my kindle. What she doesn't know yet is, that the translation is already out. A good thing she did not want to go into the book shop last week, because she would have to run through the cold rain to get there, lol. I went through the rain but did not run, but walk slowly. Doesn't matter, if you get wet anyway, lol. The book was on display for everyone to see.

My next book will be the new one by Butcher junior.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 05:24:49 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2023, 06:27:11 PM »
Yay for kittens!  :)
Please tell us about them getting home. I am super happy they will be together.

Your future trip sounds great.

You made me laugh so much with your stories about the big secret. And I hope your daughter enjoys the book when she got it. Also, Butcher Sr. next book is about to arrive too!

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 29, 2023, 04:22:09 PM »
Yay for kittens!  :)
Please tell us about them getting home. I am super happy they will be together.

Your future trip sounds great.

You made me laugh so much with your stories about the big secret. And I hope your daughter enjoys the book when she got it. Also, Butcher Sr. next book is about to arrive too!
I definitely will tell you about the kittens.  :)
At work, I always have to show the pictures. Aaawww cute! 😆

Yes, the new book by Butcher Sr.! Soon. But I will finish Percy Jackson tomorrow. I need something in between.

Funny, there are so many months without new books and then they all seem to pop up at around the same time.
I still have not started the new series by Benedict Jacka. But of course there is no rush. It just always feels that way, when there are new books I've been waiting for.  ;D

I have not informed myself, but it seems that there will be at least 2 more Percy Jackson books, though usually they come in bundles of 5. He needs to do 3 quests and this book is only about the first. It is situated between the Heroes of Olympus and the Trials of Apollo, so after the first 10 books with mainly Percy as main character. And it is called book number 6. ??? Confusing, isn't it?
I like Percy. Sometimes he behaves a bit like a teenage Harry Dresden, lol. Only without all the attraction to good looking girls. And he has a cool mother who is still around.

Well, I don't know. I think I will start with Long Past Dues and see, if I can finish it before The Olympian Affair is published. And if I am still reading it: will I be able to continue or will I choose to start the OA? I'm not sure. It's no DF book, so there's no addiction, lol. I do not prefer the one or the other, but looking forward to both of them equally.

Mini is trying to read the secret book in English. I don't think she'll get far. She's 13 now and only learning English for 4 years, but she seems very motivated. Who knows. I know that it took me a long time to be able to understand most of what I'm reading. And I still can't always understand some of the details. Or I interpret them in a different way from the context. I think she will still be happy to have it in German. She has read all the other books several times, so I am sure she'll do that with this one as well.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 30, 2023, 07:00:24 PM »
Let us know if you liked the ending. It is very sad when a book ending disappoints you (Foucault's pendulum, the Eco book, came to my mind).
Long past dues is the one by Butcher Jr?

And I feel the same about reading in English. I have been doing it for year but they are things I do not get, not only entire words I do not know but also ways to interpret words I do know. Languages are fascinating that way.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 31, 2023, 07:36:29 AM »
Yes, Long Past Dues is the second book of James Butcher's series. The first was Dead Man's Hand. And as I write this, I notice that both book titles are three words with 4 letters for each word, if you count "man's" as a whole word. I wonder if it was on purpose and if he continues this in future books.

I can't remember any Percy Jackson book having an unsatisfying ending. Or even a cliffhanger. But I can be wrong with the cliffhanger. If there was, it wasn't so bad, because I always was ok waiting for the next book.
This one had a nice ending, too. And one knows that the series is not finished yet. I did not even miss the lack of an overall evil threat. Probably there is one, I just don't know it yet.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2023, 04:01:35 PM »
Sorry for the double post.
I've realised that I had ordered the printed version of The Olympian Affair which will arrive at the 17th. That's OK, so I won't have to choose which book to read, lol.
Maybe I'll get the audio too. The first one was very good. I alternated between reading and listening. Listening during my commute and during the night shift, before my phone started to break. Most apps were no longer compatible after the updates. Now I have a new phone and everything works fine.

Maybe we'll watch the newest episode of Loki today. Later. My husband fell asleep while cuddling with one of the cats. LOL, I can hear him purring. The cat, not the husband!
The females are both sleeping on the sofa. The male is quite funny, when he wants a belly rub. He throws himself on his back and puts both front paws in the air with toes stretched out.

Yesterday we visited a museum. They had an exhibition with paintings by a famous comedian (Otto Waalkes). I didn't know he was so talented. There were paintings in lots of different styles. Some were his own inventions, but mostly he sort of copied existing famous paintings while giving them his special touch of humour. Kind of like high quality memes. Very cool and funny. We took 3 hours just for his paintings.
I like him a lot. I grew up with his jokes . He is funny, a very talented musician and now I know he is also a talented artist.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2023, 12:18:41 PM »
Ey there!
Well, it is good that perhaps you are not so rushed with two books to read at the same time. One book first, then the other. Also, delayed gratification for Jim book (at least, I hope it will be pleasant to read it).

I still did not begin watching Loki but I finished watching the current season of The Dragon Prince (it is an animated show) and watched 6 episodes of Star Trek Lower Decks. Also, I began watching Bodies, a sci-fi show which is on Netflix. It is based on a Vertigo Comic I had not heard about.

Glad you have fun with the museum. It is so good when people we already admire surprised us with more talents!

And...kittens! How are they doing? How is your family adjusting to them? At least they are already cuddling with your husband, so it seems that they feel at home already.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2023, 08:33:51 AM »
And...kittens! How are they doing? How is your family adjusting to them? At least they are already cuddling with your husband, so it seems that they feel at home already.
The kittens are fine. They have adjusted to living with us. 2 days ago, they have started to sleep on our laps or directly beside us on the sofa. They play a lot, like kitten do and are fun to watch and play with. We are still practising to tell them apart, lol. They are all black, but with different white spots, you can't see all the time. By now there are differences in behaviour and I started to recognize them by touch. Leonardo is quite talkative and the biggest, Mona always seems very busy. Lisa is the smallest and does elegant jumps. I think Leonardo might have longer fur, when he is older. Lisa feels similar, but her fur will be shorter. Mona has short shiny fur.

I think I will have to stay away from the Cinder Spires spoiler section for a while. But I will read the book as soon as I have it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2023, 11:49:40 AM »
The book has arrived!
No time to read it yet, so I will stay away of the spoilers too, as I always do.

I love your description of the kittens and how you can tell them apart. I am sure it will be easier when they are older, but it is great that you are already finding ways to do that. Enjoy them! Especially their antics as they are so young.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2023, 03:18:03 AM »
I've finished The Olympian Affair and I have one thing to say: where sequel?  ;D
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?