Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 30082 times)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2023, 04:46:16 PM »
Hey there. I'm Autumn. ;D

I've had my knee surgery last week. As of today, I am allowed to go without crutches, but I have to be careful not to exaggerate what I'm doing. So no jumping up and down with one leg, jumping from the roof and landing on one leg or such stuff, lol.

I have finally finished Alera. I have the feeling, he might return there for the next story after Cinder Spires, and he also said he wanted to write epic fantasy.
Well, wasn't Alera just that? OK, he wrote it because of a bet, but it is Fantasy, it is another world, there are fantastic creatures, and they are doing the fighting with swords and so on.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2023, 07:38:26 PM »
((((((((Regen))))))))))
Congratulations about your surgery! It sounds as all is going well, so, jokes aside, take a lot of care of yourself.
Any news about the kitten?
I have not read Alera, but according to what I hear about people, it is epic fantasy all right.

Apparently our young people have forgotten about the picnic tradition, there were only a few of them doing it. It seems that after the pandemics, the tradition was lost. But many of them gather for a pizza or something and there were sweet couples everywhere. Also, for reasons I am not sure but I think they are related to a TV show, yellow flowers were the must.

I bought Warriorborn, the Cinder Spires Novella, but I had not read it yet. I also watched "Fast X" and oh, those films have no sense at all, but there are a lot of explosions and excitement.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2023, 09:47:57 PM »
Explosions are always fun ;)
That's sad about your tradition.

The kittens are getting bigger. They already eat some meat and run around chasing each other and fighting. Absolutely adorable!
We have decided: the male will be Leonardo now, not Loki.

Btw we are watching Ragnarřk on Netflix. It's  a fun Norwegian series. The theory is: Ragnarřk has already happened. The gods lost, but the Jötnar are still there. Disguised as a family.
And it seems like Ragnarřk is supposed to repeat itself, because there are some people who can be awakened to be the gods. One boy is supposed to be Thor, he has a brother who (surprise!) has a different father: the Jotun family father.
In the episode today he had a tapeworm. A very big one, which has survived its extraction. LOL the Midgard Serpent is a tapeworm!!!!

Then there is an old one eyed man in a wheelchair. Surprise! Odin.
And LOL he is called Wotan Wagner. Wagner!!!!!  ;D
Yes, I am having fun with this.
Now there is a valkyrie. They didn't say she was, but today she chose a boxer to fight for their cause.

I also have purchased Warriorborn and have already started reading it. So far it is interesting.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2023, 09:57:35 PM »
I am sorry, I thought I had already answered this.

Yes, it is a shame about the tradition, perhaps it will be resurrected some year.

Ragnarok sounds fun, I am not sure I have it in Netflix (different countries have different shows available, of course.) Wotan, of course. But Wagner  :)

I began Warriorborn but I've read too little so far.
In other topics, I am planning to go to the theatre to see Hunting in Venice tomorrow, the Agatha Christie's adaptation by Kenneth Branagh (spelling?). I have read lots of A. Christie's books, I love them, but I know this movie is only loosely inspired by one of them. I am not sure what to expect, and that is good.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 27, 2023, 12:45:01 PM »
Hi Weird!
I enjoyed the movie. It has a different feeling than most Agatha Christie's adaptations but the core of her novels were there. There was something unexpected with a character, and Venice is a really good setting for a mystery. And Kenneth Branagh does a fantastic job.

I also finished Warriorborn, and I liked it. Looking forward to the aftermath of it in the next book  :). I commented a little more in the CS spoilers section.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2023, 02:13:49 AM »
Welp, as of today I'm looking for a new job. My current job has decided to do my previous supervisor dirty, and I'm not really interested in sticking around for the shi...spiral that will probably happen.

Also. ((((Dina)))) ((((Regen))))
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »
(((((((((DC))))))))))) It is always good to see you here.
Well, on the bright side, perhaps you can take a few days for resting? Best wishes for you finding a better job!

Have you read Warriorborn? (or, actually, have you read The Aeronaut Windlass first?). I like Benedict and I think he was underused in TAW so I enjoyed seeing him as the lead character.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2023, 03:17:07 AM »
I've read the Aeronaut's Windlass, but it's been a few years since the last time. I haven't read Warriorborn but I don't know if I will before the new book comes out.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2023, 03:48:53 AM »
You should, it is not expensive and I am pretty sure it kickstarts the next book.
Also (((((((DC)))))))))

I forgot to rant a little about Haunting in Venice. it is quite a dark movie. Literally dark, I mean. It is difficult to see. It seems to be a trend lately and I do not like it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2023, 02:15:34 PM »
Hi!
(((((DC))))) (((((Dina)))))

I finished Warriorborn today. So I can finally read through the spoiler section. I liked it a lot. I'm also quite fond of Benedict. :)

I've read the Aeronaut's Windlass, but it's been a few years since the last time. I haven't read Warriorborn but I don't know if I will before the new book comes out.
I have to agree with Dina. It's worth reading.
I hope you find a new and better job soon. I just changed departments about one year ago. I am much happier now. People ask me, if I now have no more night or late shifts or weekends, and when I say no, the same, they are surprised. I didn't leave because of the work, I left because of the management. I can deal with the work. I even like working at night, which most people not working night shifts don't understand.

@Dina: someone should tell them to turn on the lights in those movies.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2023, 07:15:14 AM »
@Dina: someone should tell them to turn on the lights in those movies.
Yes!  :)
On the good side, the sound in the cinema was good and it has the advantage that some things could be heard like coming from a side (not the front) of the room. It helped a lot with the immersion in the dark, supernatural story.

Today was a sunny day and I was alone in my office/laboratory for several hours, so after lunch I did a short walk around the campus. It felt good.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2023, 12:10:20 AM »
You want me to read a story written by Jim Butcher? Twist my arm, why don't you?  ::)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 04, 2023, 12:34:58 AM »
Yep! We are cruel that way.
(((((((DC)))))))))))
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 05, 2023, 01:08:49 AM »
LOL! Harvard made me so happy yesterday.
They welcome a former president of us (Argentina) and the girl who was making his introduction and reciting his résumé said he had been president of Venezuela from 4 years. It was so fun! Especially because he hates Venezuela so much...He based some of his campaign in "do not let Argentina became Venezuela"  :) :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2023, 07:58:59 AM »
LOL! Harvard made me so happy yesterday.
They welcome a former president of us (Argentina) and the girl who was making his introduction and reciting his résumé said he had been president of Venezuela from 4 years. It was so fun! Especially because he hates Venezuela so much...He based some of his campaign in "do not let Argentina became Venezuela"  :) :)
:) did they show his face when she said that?

You want me to read a story written by Jim Butcher? Twist my arm, why don't you?  ::)
Muahahaha!!!

I'm reading that new spin-off story from the Percy Jackson world. The one with Nico di Angelo and Will Solace, if you know who they are.
I do it in secret, because I intend to buy it as a surprise gift for Mini (probably for Christmas, but we'll see, I'm not opposed to give it to her for an exceptional good grade, if there should occur some in the next weeks, lol) and I have to restrain myself to not say anything about it. Which can be difficult, because we usually talk about what we are reading.

We were hoping to visit our future kittens this weekend, but both my husband and I are ill.

I'm looking forward to next weekend. A long time friend of mine will come to visit us with her kids. They live about 5 hours away and she visits her parents 2 or 3 times a year. This time she'll stay about one week, so there is time to see each other.