Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 30368 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2023, 03:53:46 AM »
I am sorry to hear about that. Hopefully next week will be better.
We had a big storm today, with some streets flooded, a few trees broken by the wind (one of them totalled a parked car), things like that. Hopefully I had wisely decided to stay at home. Hubby had no real problems either as the storm was very bad in the wee hours of the morning and also in the afternoon, when he was safely at his workplace. By the time he had to come home, the rain has stopped. It was still windy but not too cold.
Tomorrow after work I plan to go to a sort of march against some of the things the presidential candidate has said. Luckily they are not forcasting rain.

Ohh, this weekend (Sunday) is Children's Day here, and I just saw that our cable service is going to offer the last Spider-man movie for free (the animated movie with Miles Morales). We are planning to watch it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2023, 03:25:27 PM »
Hey weird people! I am back home.
The trip to Austria was good. We did not do a lot of sightseeing, it was mostly relaxing, but we managed to go to a museum of art, which was mostly boring for Micro, but interesting for Mini and amusing for us grown-ups. One room made us laugh a lot, though it was somehow disgusting: it looked like a room full of waste, but the artist sometimes did something with it. There were sections with old bottles standing around, an almost full body plastic with two heads which looked like something a mentally ill serial killer would leave for people to find and be shocked. But what amused me the most, were patches of wiry dark hair nailed to the wall. I hope the hair was from the artist's beard, lol.

There were several themes, so there was art for every taste, not just the weird stuff.

We managed to go swimming in a lake twice and we rented a small boat in my husband's town of birth. And we tested two ice cream vendors, one before the boat trip and one after, lol. Just to be able to compare, of course.

Sad news:
Did I tell you that our cat died in the last week of July? We were with her all the time. This was the first cat who had a good death in my opinion. We noticed on Sunday that she would go now, because she even refused to drink and she had trouble standing up. She died during the night from Sunday to Monday.

But there is good news, too:
One of my husband's colleagues told him that his cat is pregnant. We said we would take 2-3 babies. The kittens are very cute and we will have them at the end of October. They are mostly dark, one I think is almost completely black, as far as can be seen in the pictures.

So there are kittens to look forward to.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:29:23 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2023, 10:26:07 AM »
(((((((Regen)))))))) Hi!
Glad to hear you had a good time in Austria!  :)
The museum sounds super weird but I read you said this is not all what there is there. You made me laugh about the hairs...hope is from the beard too. That reminded me I had a classmate (from high school) who is now a photographer who made a super-weird (for me) exposition with pictures related with the female condition...including the period. I actually think she exposed it in Austria too.
Great about swimming in the lake. Here Winter finally is normal, which means it is cold (not freezing cold, Buenos Aires is never that cold, but still).
You had told us about your cat dying, but I am super happy about the kitten news. Are your children excited? It is good that you will have more than one baby cat, so they can play with each other and not only with humans.
Well, I have to leave now. I have to collaborate in a few classes this semester, even when it is not my teaching semester See you around!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2023, 04:31:17 PM »
So, I drove my bike along the river on both sides today, to see how it looked like after all the storms and the almost flood. It's OK now, though there was a tree across my way, but I managed to climb over it with the bike.
There is still a lot of water in the river, but no more danger that it will spill over. We were lucky, the rain stopped in time.
The last two weeks the temperature dropped from 36 to 16°C. Now it is 27°C. That's perfect for me. And everything is green again.

We visited the kittens yesterday. So cute! We will get all three of them. They are already bigger than my hand, toddle around a bit, but their eyes are still blue.
It's one male and two females. The male is very dark, but not completely black. I call it dark grey with light black stripes, lol. One can see the stripes only in sunlight.
The females are both dark grey with black stripes. One has tiger stripes and one has more rounded lines. I don't know the English name for that kind of colour scheme. In German it is called "gerädert". Our old cat was coloured like that, too. But she was brown, black and red-brown.

The kids are very excited. Now we can think about names.
Do you have any ideas?

I would like to call the male Loki, but then I would need fitting names for the girls.
Or maybe all names starting with the same letter.
Nero would be a cool name, but then I would have to worry if he will burn down the village.  ;D

For the girls I have maybe Mara, Dora, Mia, Cleo, Nora...
Short names. I am open to everything, except names like Fluffy Puffcake, Sugar Candy Cotton or something cringy like that, lol.

Edit: lol
We had a discussion about names and I threw in Leonardo. Micro and my husband immediately said Mona and Lisa.
Leonardo, Mona and Lisa. The more I think about it the better it sounds.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 04:56:18 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2023, 06:37:01 PM »
((((Regen))))
Beginning by the end...I love Leonardo, Mona and Lisa!
The kitten sounds so cute. I bet the whole family is all excited, with good reason. Kittens are just the best.
It is good that all is right with the weather and river around you. Here we finally had a few days of normal cold Winter days but since yesterday we are having cold nights and early morning and warm afternoons. It is supposed to rain today.

A paper I've sent has been accepted for publication. I am super happy  :)

Next week I will have several meetings and administrative things, quite boring.

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2023, 09:40:13 AM »

A paper I've sent has been accepted for publication. I am super happy  :)

Next week I will have several meetings and administrative things, quite boring.
That's great. About the paper. What's it about?

Administrative things suck.

We agreed and decided on Mona for the striped kitten. Alternatives for the others are  Loki and Cleo or Luna. But I have the feeling it will be Leonardo and Lisa. These are the names we all agreed on immediately.

I have to take Micro to the dentist today  :(.
There is some swelling around one of her teeth and it hurts. Please wish us luck that it is nothing complicated.

And I am in the middle of selling the rest of our old cat's special kidney food. The rest  will go to the shelter, if they can use it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2023, 12:42:01 AM »
I have been wishing luck to micro (and you).

Paper: I do not remember if I told you I work with a species of fruit fly. We got (from databases) sequences of a fragment of DNA from flies of several countries, calculated some basic variability indexes, and suggested a possible history for the origin of the species and its spreading for the continent. I will not give more details here.

I am sure the shelter would welcome the food.
I promise to do a better post tomorrow, as I am too tired to human right now  :D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2023, 09:35:44 PM »
Hi again. We had a nice but cold day, it was good.

I am watching Ahsoka, so far I am liking it a lot but that is not surprising as it is a sort of sequel to Star Wars: Rebels. That is an animated show that I loved (even when it broke my heart).

I began also watching Futurama, the new reboot. The first episode was super meta, the second one was more normal. That is all what I watched so far. And speaking of the Groening shows,  I was reminded that I have to watch the last season of Disenchanted too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2023, 02:51:01 PM »
We finished Disenchantment 2 days ago. I am almost a bit sad, that it's over now.

The fruit flies sound interesting.

Micro's tooth is purulent. She already had parodonthosis there and the tooth was repaired, but now it has to be removed. She is lucky that it is still a baby tooth and the adult one is already near. So she has to take antibiotics and then the doctor will remove the tooth in 2 weeks. Until this time the tooth is open.

We are watching Killing Eve. Very funny and crazy.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2023, 06:35:18 PM »
Thank God it is a baby tooth, it won´t hurt. Still, crossing my fingers for her. By the way, we call those teeth "dientes de leche", meaning "milk teeth".
I´ve heard good things about Killing Eve, but I´ve never watched it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2023, 12:26:19 AM »
Thank God it is a baby tooth, it won´t hurt. Still, crossing my fingers for her. By the way, we call those teeth "dientes de leche", meaning "milk teeth".
I´ve heard good things about Killing Eve, but I´ve never watched it.

We also call them Milchzähne, milk teeth.
I think you can say milk tooth in English as well.

Killing Eve is great. I think we are in season 3 or so, and Eve is still alive, LOL. The killer is great, they chose a fitting actress.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2023, 09:43:34 PM »
I am having a fun problem with my Paramount+ subscription. When you choose the language as English and the subtitles in English too, it shows the subtitles BOTH in English and in Spanish. For example, the character says "why?" and the subtitle writes "why? Por qué?". it is super annoying. For a while it appears to be solved, and then it begins again.
I had to watch the last Strange New Worlds episodes with Spanish subtitles, and I guess I am going to do the same with the current season of Lower Decks.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2023, 11:19:26 AM »
I am having a fun problem with my Paramount+ subscription. When you choose the language as English and the subtitles in English too, it shows the subtitles BOTH in English and in Spanish. For example, the character says "why?" and the subtitle writes "why? Por qué?". it is super annoying. For a while it appears to be solved, and then it begins again.
I had to watch the last Strange New Worlds episodes with Spanish subtitles, and I guess I am going to do the same with the current season of Lower Decks.
So you usually watch with English subtitles? And now there is double text. That's annoying, indeed.

Today was the first day of school here. Micro is already home, Mini will come in 20 minutes, except if she talks with her classmates longer.

I am just a little bit annoyed, because I have trouble writing in English with my new phone.
I still have to find out how to change autocorrection to english. Because I have to tip back at every single word to correct it back to what I have written.

Would I just let it be like autocorrection corrected, it would look like this:

World Internet justieren let IT be live  autocorrection corrected, IT World Look live this.
LOL
So, sorry if there are any weird words in my text.

But at least the program is learning, not like the one I had before.
And the rest is also a great improvement. I can continue with Codex Alera, because my Audible app is working again. There seemed to have been an update a few months back which was not compatible with my old android version. I could open the app, see my books, but not listen to them.

Today I finally got to defreeze my deep freezer. During the last weeks we ate a lot of the food that was stored there.
Micro once left the door open, and so there was a thick coating of ice, which had to be removed. And of course the freezer was quite full.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2023, 07:02:39 PM »
If I can, I watch with English subtitles. If the option is not available, I watch with Spanish subtitles. Spanish dubbing is my least chosen option. In this case, I guess I will watch with the Spanish subtitles.

I hope your girls had a good first day. Yesterday I was watching an article about funny tweets (well, X now) and there was one where a parent asked their 3rd-grader son how his first day has been, and the boy told a long story about a bug that he found in the yard...and nothing else  :D

You made me laugh about your phone. Autocorrection is always a problem, even when you have the right setting  :) But it is good that it learns, that is always useful, especially if you use the...swipe? The thing when you do not write every letter but move your finger in the pattern of the word you want to write. My phone never understands that I want to write "Cómo" and tries to write "Chino" ("how" vs "Chinese"). Note that "Chino" is a common word for Buenos Aires inhabitants to call the small self-service stores on each block (that is because most of them are from Chinese people, sometimes Korean ones too).

Freezer surprises! Something you forgot that were there? There is a comic-strip by an Argentinian author (Sendra) about a child called Matias, it is published everyday in the journal. Well, i remember once when he asked his mom what would be the dinner and she answered "brown thing with carrots and peas". When he, confused, asked what she meant by "brown thing" she answered she had found a bag of a brown thing in the bottom of the freezer and she placed it in the pot just like that  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »
Anyone alive here?
Today is the official start of Spring here. It is cloudy but at least it does not rain yet, which is good because traditionally students make picnics (even when the tradition has weakened with the pandemia). I will write more about this another day. Meanwhile, have a nice Spring or Autumn, whatever you are  :)
Missing you, Md