Author Topic: New Weird  (Read 30086 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: New Weird
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2023, 12:55:52 AM »
Hi Regen!
At first, it was complicated because I began following the route in the inverse direction, and it did not count. But then, it was good and fun. Now I saw there are several routes around my home, so perhaps when I have the time I will walk some more, following the routes. Perhaps tomorrow, that it is supposed to be warm. I have to wotk all the morning and  part of the afternoon, but I may be able to get home relatively early.
Rain is very much needed here too, but luckily we had some in the past days.

Ohh, the travel to Austria sounds awesome! I have a cousin who is going to Czechia for work for 3 months (starting Aug 1). I do not remember the city but he told me is closer to Vienna than to Prague. At the end of his time, he wil visit Vienna. I envy him a lot. Also, as a child I was such a fan of Empress Sissi that I always got excited when I hear "Vienna"  :). But all what I have seen in movies and internet about Austria is beautiful. I hope you and your family enjoy the lake and the mountains  :)

Yes, I have not seen the last episode yet but I like Strange New Worlds a lot (season 1 better than season 2 so far).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2023, 09:42:56 AM »
  I have a cousin who is going to Czechia for work for 3 months (starting Aug 1). I do not remember the city but he told me is closer to Vienna than to Prague 
Cool. He'll probably be in or near Brno. My grandmother grew up in a small village in that area.

I admit I've never been in Vienna. Just once for half an hour at the train station on my way to Linz, which doesn't really count in my opinion. Not that I saw anything. But I want to see it some day. My husband doesn't like cities, he prefers nature. When we go there, I'll send pictures. Promise.  :)
I am still trying to convince him of a day trip. I'll take crutches with me, so I can walk.

Strange New Worlds is awesome. I like their joice of actors. At first I was in doubt about Spock, but I soon changed my mind. And Christine Chapel! Once I noticed who this is, I said to my husband, hey she's always been in love with Spock. He couldn't even remember her. In the old series she always had cool hair. Woven somehow. I tried to do my hair like that, but I didn't succeed, lol. One probably needs a second person to help. And very likely longer hair than I ever had. I always felt pity with her, because Spock didn't love her back.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2023, 11:01:15 AM »
Yes, I think that is city, the pronounciation was weird. In Spanish you don't really have a way to pronounce Brno, so I believe he said something like "Brun". He told me it is a place with many students. He is an Engineer and is going to be in an Institute which does language processing or something like that.

I do remember Christine Chapel from the original TOS. It was the main character played by Majel Barret, Roddenberry's wife. She also played the original Number One, who only appeared in one episode I believe. And an Orion. Of course, she later played Lwaxanna Troi and is generally the computer voice.
I have quite curly hair, so I could never dream with styling my hair like Chapel (Lwaxanna perhaps, now that I am older...)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2023, 11:51:53 AM »
Really? She played Lwaxana? I never noticed. Well, probably because I always only wanted to see her hair and never looked at her face, LOL.

We say Brünn in German.

I forgot to tell you something funny:
Our neighbour is sometimes a bit clumsy and he managed to saw into his main water pipe. So he has no water in the house at the moment. The funny thing is, that nobody knows why he did work near the pipe in the first place, because his wife said, they have an appointment with a plumber anyway next week. LOL.
They are renovating inside and essentially all the workers need at the moment, is water. So for now they are using our outside water with their water hose. The wife was pissed but in an eyerolling way, like she knew what she had to expect when she married him, loves him anyway, but this situation now sucks, LOL.

Also there will be a new house next year, because one of their daughters will build one in their garden, so we will get nice new neighbours, but will have to endure construction again. She'll move in with her husband and child

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2023, 01:13:31 AM »
She is! I actually learnt that Lwaxanna was Majel Barret, the computer voice and Roddenberry's wife, before learning that she was Chapel. Besides, Chapel is blonde and Lwaxanna is a brunette, so I never realized they were the same person until I've read it. I am quite a trekkie, so now I am very used to the idea, but I remember I was flabbergasted when I learnt it.

That is funny about your neighbors! And I am glad you will have nice neighbors in the future.

I confirmed that my cousin is going to Brno! He is on the plane right now. He will spend a night in Madrid and then keep flying to Vienna. Then he will take a bus to Brno.

In other news, on Friday a colleague of my hubby, who has an avocado plant at home, gifted him (well, us) with 3 very, very big avocados. We spent the weekend enjoying avocado toasts, and we also had nachos with guacamole...I have a small container with an avocado "purée". And I still have a full avocado (but I think it is getting wasted).
'
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2023, 02:42:18 AM »
You know, it's been a minute since I've been here, but I'm just now noticing that the symbol for the spoiler tags is actually a radioactivity symbol. That humor was lost on me when I was younger. Also hi. :)
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2023, 11:40:07 AM »
*glomps DC*
Hello there! How are you doing?
Here, all is good. I confirmed my teaching job, so I will have a salary for most of the dark times that lay ahead (elections are coming in my country!)
You made me laugh about the spoiler tag. Your younger self was so unobservant  :). But in your defense, I do not think you used that tag too much. You were mostly here and in the RPG, not so much in the discussions.
Do you know that the second Cinder Spires book is coming? November 7

Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2023, 08:09:03 AM »
You know, it's been a minute since I've been here, but I'm just now noticing that the symbol for the spoiler tags is actually a radioactivity symbol. That humor was lost on me when I was younger. Also hi. :)
LOL
I think everybody has these moments, when we come back to stuff we have read, seen or heard in our youth. And we go : ooops, THAT's what it meant.

We have found accommodation in Austria near my husband's stepmother's home. So we will meet her next week, go see the city, go see the lake, maybe go up a small mountain and generally have fun.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2023, 01:44:55 PM »
Yay! I hope you have a lot of fun.

We are having normal cold weather these days, but they are forecasting warm weather again for next week. It is incredible, around 23 C in August, they say. In July there was a day of 29!

I saw the Barbie movie! I liked it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2023, 06:20:40 PM »
I'll wait for Barbie on TV, Netflix, Disney or whatever. Where I have the possibility to shut it off, if it annoys me, lol. I am glad none of the girls wanted to see it.
But maybe it is like Baywatch with Dwayne Johnson. We watched it with extremely low expectations and it was very funny.

We have arrived in Austria. Very cool. We stay in a house in the outskirts of Linz. There is a garden with fruit trees and some wine, though it's not ripe yet. I am sitting on the terrace outside enjoying a cup of coffee and watching the sun go down.
Tomorrow we will meet with the mother-in-law and go to a restaurant.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2023, 07:51:02 PM »
Hello Regen!
I think the movie will probably be boring for your girls, especially for micro.

That sounds great about Austria! Enjoy it
Tomorrow we will have the primary elections. I should be excited, but as I am pretty sure my option will loose, I am not (I am not going to say more as we are not supposed to talk about real life politics).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2023, 12:00:09 PM »
And it was completely shocking and (for me) really bad. But it is a primary, we will see what happens in October, in the "real one"
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 16, 2023, 03:23:13 AM »
*glomps DC*
Hello there! How are you doing?
Here, all is good. I confirmed my teaching job, so I will have a salary for most of the dark times that lay ahead (elections are coming in my country!)
You made me laugh about the spoiler tag. Your younger self was so unobservant  :). But in your defense, I do not think you used that tag too much. You were mostly here and in the RPG, not so much in the discussions.
Do you know that the second Cinder Spires book is coming? November 7
HI DINA! Yeah, I knew the new book was coming out. I have to find my copy of the first book somewhere and scarf it down before then, though, which is a great tragedy.  ::)
In my defense, I did spend a lot of time in the forum spoiler threads but I didn't spend a lot of time posting, just reading. I've since learned a thing or two about storytelling and I don't spend time arguing on the internet with strangers.  :P

LOL
I think everybody has these moments, when we come back to stuff we have read, seen or heard in our youth. And we go : ooops, THAT's what it meant.

We have found accommodation in Austria near my husband's stepmother's home. So we will meet her next week, go see the city, go see the lake, maybe go up a small mountain and generally have fun.
I've had those moments a lot, but in this forum in particular I was like...15 when I joined?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2023, 11:24:16 AM »
Yes, you were such a sweet kid  :)
Seriously, I love you (((((((((DC)))))))))))
How are you doing?
Here we are all in shock about who won the preliminary election, we will  see what happens in October.
Also, they are forecasting 27 C for today, which is super crazy, we are in the heart of Winter right now. There is raining a little and perhaps tomorrow the temperature will drop.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2023, 02:31:53 AM »
Sweet like sweet tea.  ::)

Thankfully I am no longer like that.  :P
I've been okay. This week in particular at work has been infuriating because of some less than stellar proofreading on my/my bosses' part and I'm the one who takes the brunt of complaints/questions when people get stuff with typos.