Author Topic: In defense of the WC  (Read 18332 times)

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: In defense of the WC
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2022, 12:19:44 AM »
I don't think they was a need to check Harry cause he never came to the HQ and when he did he never signed a thing. Hence Lucio.
Was having a talk with a friend about the Merlin. Other than the mist fiend and the ward tag team with the gatekeeper has the Merlin done any magic on screen/ on page

That was referring to child Harry - after Malcolm died and he went into the system until Justin found him. They might have been interested in a Starborn child of Margaret LeFay

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »
That was referring to child Harry - after Malcolm died and he went into the system until Justin found him. They might have been interested in a Starborn child of Margaret LeFay

They might have been if they had known.  I got the impression from what Harry had been told by Lash, what Margaret herself, had told Harry in his soul gaze with Thomas, and others that it was only after she fell in love with Malcolm that she decided to actually conceive one.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2022, 05:11:01 AM »
They might have been if they had known.  I got the impression from what Harry had been told by Lash, what Margaret herself, had told Harry in his soul gaze with Thomas, and others that it was only after she fell in love with Malcolm that she decided to actually conceive one.

Eb knew Malcolm, if nothing else. Would not be shocked if Morgan knew something, and probably Luccio.  There may be others - didn't the Gatekeeper say there was sort of a wilder group?  I'd actually be surprised if Rashid did NOT know. Boy gets around

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2022, 11:21:20 AM »
Eb knew Malcolm, if nothing else. Would not be shocked if Morgan knew something, and probably Luccio.  There may be others - didn't the Gatekeeper say there was sort of a wilder group?  I'd actually be surprised if Rashid did NOT know. Boy gets around

Oh I wouldn't be shocked if Rashid was in on it, as far as her decision goes anyway.  I think the whole Winter Court was in on it.  That is why Harry got a real Fae godmother in Lea.  But as he told Harry in Cold Days I believe, what he tells the Council is mostly on a "need to know" basis, and most of the time in his opinion, they don't need to know.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2022, 04:12:22 AM »
Yes, but I bet a lot of the members have their own spies and intel gathering...

I doubt they would wait for Rashid to tell them

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2022, 12:07:24 PM »
Yes, but I bet a lot of the members have their own spies and intel gathering...

I doubt they would wait for Rashid to tell them

But do they know just enough to be stupid?

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2022, 08:43:10 AM »
  But do they know just enough to be stupid?

Kinda doubt it. These seem to be the type where information is power - they get some, they want more. I'm surprised they didn't find her with Raith. Queen consort to the White court can't be too low profile.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2022, 11:48:41 AM »
Kinda doubt it. These seem to be the type where information is power - they get some, they want more. I'm surprised they didn't find her with Raith. Queen consort to the White court can't be too low profile.

Or they know a lot less than they think and that is a lot of the problem.  That is the impression I got from what Rashid said when he and Harry had their little talks at the Gates.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »
Or they know a lot less than they think and that is a lot of the problem.  That is the impression I got from what Rashid said when he and Harry had their little talks at the Gates.

The two are not mutually exclusive. They can be trying to learn, but not know how much there is TO learn. Like when early Murphy and Billy asked Harry questions and he tried "You don't want to know"

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 19, 2022, 05:14:41 AM »
The two are not mutually exclusive. They can be trying to learn, but not know how much there is TO learn. Like when early Murphy and Billy asked Harry questions and he tried "You don't want to know"

Or is it, "you want to know, only what you want to know..."?  Which distorts everything of course.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2022, 06:51:36 PM »
But there's quite a bit of protection there, with Papa Raith.  Also, he hasn't yet suffered her Curse, so he's at the very peak of his power, a more dynamic leader with a firmer seat on his throne, than the White Court ruler we all know from the books.

The White Council is all too prone to taking a "wait and see what happens" approach, and I expect the Blackstaff would have been urging inaction (for his own private reasons)...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 06:47:06 AM by g33k »

Offline Tinfoil hat

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2022, 08:16:09 PM »
l
But there's quite a bit of protection there, with Papa Raith.  Also, he hasn't yet suffered her Curse, so he's at the very peak of his power, a more dynamic leader with a firmer seat on his throne, than the White Court ruler we all know from the books.

The White Council is all too prone to taking a "wait and see what happens" approach, and I expect the Blackstaff would have been urging inaction (for his own private reasons)...

The problem with having power is knowing when to act and when not to. Act to soon and you can trigger bigger problems.
In the grand scheme of things how strong is the white council. I know everyone thought it was going to win against reds but how strong  do you think it is. In the real world the US can beat any nation but it rarely uses its army. Same with all the major powers cause the other may use the small power to fight as a proxy

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2022, 04:14:58 AM »
lThe problem with having power is knowing when to act and when not to. Act to soon and you can trigger bigger problems.
In the grand scheme of things how strong is the white council. I know everyone thought it was going to win against reds but how strong  do you think it is. In the real world the US can beat any nation but it rarely uses its army. Same with all the major powers cause the other may use the small power to fight as a proxy

If you want the military analogy, it is not that you can beat anyone, it is that you cant beat EVERYONE. You can beat the toughest guy in the biker gang - but there are 15 in the bar, you get in a fight, you get your ass kicked. 

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2022, 06:24:35 AM »
... In the grand scheme of things how strong is the white council ...

Nobody really knows.

I presume they've done some pretty epic ass-kicking, in days of yore; they did something to earn their rep, and the immortals will have long memories, so it's not likely that exaggeration over time will have been a substantive part of that rep.

I think it remains to be seen how formidable they remain; the modern White Council may be a bit of a Paper Tiger.  A few formidable members, like Eb & most of the Senior Council, many of the Wardens, a few others...  But (particularly with the influx of very-young & inexperienced Wardens) the overall combat fitness of the WC is surely reduced in the post-VampWar era!   Certainly there are many WC wizards who are little to no use in combat, nor even much use for logistics/support.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2022, 04:43:43 PM »
I think it remains to be seen how formidable they remain; the modern White Council may be a bit of a Paper Tiger.  A few formidable members, like Eb & most of the Senior Council, many of the Wardens, a few others...  But (particularly with the influx of very-young & inexperienced Wardens) the overall combat fitness of the WC is surely reduced in the post-VampWar era!   Certainly there are many WC wizards who are little to no use in combat, nor even much use for logistics/support.

I think it is dangerous to assume that.