Author Topic: A notion...  (Read 10173 times)

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A notion...
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 05:40:54 PM »
... @ g33k: Harry has his duster, and there was a hint in Changes that he'll eventually be able to learn how to extend its protection to cover the head.

He does have his duster.  But, in addition to the head, it's an open-front garment (can be closed, but default-open).  He sometimes skips it entirely "because of the heat," and would similarly leave it open for comfort.  Again, someone veiled could just walk up and gut him.

I guess a duster-upgrade could be made to work, though; if it "covers" the head without actually covering the head, it could do the same for his front.  He needs to build in some climate-control, though, so he doesn't just leave it behind!

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »
... Now what is Harry going to do with Bob’s old skull? ...
The  obvious solution is to make it Bonea's new digs.

Redecorated in "tween girl" themes of pink & purple, glitter & unicorns...
Bob visits once "for old times sake" and leaves, horrified...  ;D

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2022, 05:54:30 PM »
Harry as Junk Man, with Captain Kangaroo pockets and 15 minutes spent sorting his inventory before he can do anything. He isn't James Bond and he doesn't have Q to whip up the gadgets. I would settle for him using the gadgets he has. Like that nifty necklace with the maps.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2022, 07:35:20 PM »
Harry as Junk Man, with Captain Kangaroo pockets and 15 minutes spent sorting his inventory before he can do anything. He isn't James Bond and he doesn't have Q to whip up the gadgets. I would settle for him using the gadgets he has. Like that nifty necklace with the maps.

Indeed, though I think his mother's "N.W.F or Nevernever Way Finder,"  is going to come in handy very soon.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 07:36:56 PM by Mira »

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2022, 08:42:29 PM »
Indeed, though I think his mother's "N.W.F or Nevernever Way Finder,"  is going to come in handy very soon.

It kinda had a "starring role" in Changes!  I've wanted to see more.

But suspect that Jim finds it a challenge to write interestingly.  Hearing a pre-recorded voice of his mother only carries so much narrative weight, after the first few times.  In terms of the narrative, it can be reduced to a 1-liner along the lines of "a quick consultation with my mother's gem..."
(I mean, it gets a bit more wordcount each time it's 1st used in a book, simply because Jim needs to allow for new readers just jumping aboard.  But we've already had the emotional "this is my mother's voice" scene.)

I seriously doubt we'll see it in Twelve Months.  Jim has already said the book is a bit more "Daily Life" and "Guest Starring:  The City of Chicago," which mostly would seem to preclude a Wayfinder-Gem storyline...  Maybe the one after that?

I'm hoping (semi-expecting) that in TM he'll be interacting with the mortal Chicagoans who followed his Banner in BG.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2022, 08:57:32 PM »
It kinda had a "starring role" in Changes!  I've wanted to see more.
"Guest Starring"
That... Was absolutely horrible. When I read the second one I nearly bashed my head on the wall. The only thing that stopped me was the possibility of seeing stars.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2022, 11:51:11 PM »
The  obvious solution is to make it Bonea's new digs.

Redecorated in "tween girl" themes of pink & purple, glitter & unicorns...
Bob visits once "for old times sake" and leaves, horrified...  ;D

Bonea has a perfectly fine Sanctum originally Bobs intended back up made by Harry. As the Castle Bob is heavily defended but lacks mobility. Retaining a connection to his old skull would provide him with a “lifeboat” should the Castle fall. I have also speculated that there is no reason why Bonea and Bob could not create temporary ectoplasm bodies around their skulls and puppet them about to better interact with humans./

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2022, 03:41:09 AM »
To date, no spirit based in reality has show the ability to manifest an ectoplasmic body. Ghosts can and so can beings native to the Never Never or Outside. but I think this ability is outside of a spirits ability. Otherwise Bob or Evil Bob would have done it by now. there have been plenty of places and opportunities for them to do so. Also note that upon entering the Never Never, they both manifest freely.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2022, 11:01:17 AM »
To date, no spirit based in reality has show the ability to manifest an ectoplasmic body. Ghosts can and so can beings native to the Never Never or Outside. but I think this ability is outside of a spirits ability. Otherwise Bob or Evil Bob would have done it by now. there have been plenty of places and opportunities for them to do so. Also note that upon entering the Never Never, they both manifest freely.

Bob has traveled outside of his skull when Harry has given him time off or when he is on a mission for Harry.  However other than the mention of him riding on the back of Mister, nothing is said about what his appearance looks like. One time we have had that was in Ghost Story when Harry actually was inside of the skull with him.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2022, 12:46:42 PM »
Um he animated a bronze lion in Skin Game.

If he can do that then he can pull ectoplasm from the Never Never and animate that.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2022, 03:42:26 PM »
Bob has traveled outside of his skull when Harry has given him time off or when he is on a mission for Harry.

But he was a "naked" spirit there, subject to dissipation at dawn.

The speculation at hand is whether a spirit can summon an ectoplasmic body to protect them from sunlight ... a good case has been made for "no, they cannot."

...  However other than the mention of him riding on the back of Mister, nothing is said about what his appearance looks like ...
I think in those cases he is "riding" inside of Mister; a form of "possession" if you will.  And that protects him from sunlight, too.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2022, 03:44:56 PM »
Um he animated a bronze lion in Skin Game.

If he can do that then he can pull ectoplasm from the Never Never and animate that.

The one doesn't follow from the other.

And I'm pretty sure some of the scenes had Bob barely making it home before sunrise (which it was said would have destroyed him).

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2022, 05:28:02 PM »
Dawn would destroy him if he is outside of a sanctum, or the NeverNever if he surrounds his sanctum with ectoplasmic flesh he is safe, but the spell would fail and Bob’s body would dissolve into a splash of ectoplasm, meaning no overnight assignations for Bob as his date would wake up to a naked skull in a puddle of ectoplasm. It’s why you don’t take faerie gold (or bitcoin) they evaporate at dawn.

If Harry can sneeze living giant spiders into existence by creating them out of ectoplasm Bob and Bonea can create bodies, but it would taken a continuing expenditure of magic to do so, could be interrupted by dawn or a magic circle or enough gross physical damage.

We have interestingly been given visuals for both in Ghost Story Bob visualises himself as Butters nerdier younger brother. Similarly Bonea is an amalgam of all the women Harry has loved depicted as a vulnerable child younger than Maggie. Therefore Jim has certainly considered this.

Online g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2022, 10:21:21 PM »
Dawn would destroy him if he is outside of a sanctum, or the NeverNever if he surrounds his sanctum with ectoplasmic flesh he is safe, but the spell would fail and Bob’s body would dissolve into a splash of ectoplasm, meaning no overnight assignations for Bob as his date would wake up to a naked skull in a puddle of ectoplasm...

But the Ramps summoned their flesh-masks out of ectoplasm... and the older ones had learned how to even have their masks survive the sun!

I expect Bob knows that trick, too... but cannot use it, for some reason.

Bob is actually a VERY strong spirit -- strong enough that Harry used Bob to armor Murph against the Lords of the Outer Night -- so "not strong enough" doesn't seem like the answer.

It seems likely that it's something about the spirit-state.

If Harry can sneeze living giant spiders into existence by creating them out of ectoplasm Bob and Bonea can create bodies.
Harry -- embodied, living, mortal Harry -- is a different category of being.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2022, 03:55:34 PM »
If Bob or Evil Bob could manifest an ectoplasmic body, they'd be completely independent.

They could build as many Sanctums as they wanted while manifesting, hide them all over and have plenty of safehouses that no one knows about.