Author Topic: any word on Jim?  (Read 8158 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: any word on Jim?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »
I like both SF and FM, perhaps not as much as other books, but I would enjoy them on screen. FM in particular, if budget is good, would be visually amazing, with so many kinds of werewolves. Also, poor Kirby.
Summer Knight is one of my favorites of the whole series.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 11:28:36 PM »
It depends on whether they want to expand the fan base, SF and FM are not as technically accomplished as Grave Peril. If going purely for fan base, you have Restoration of Faith as a pre- title prologue to Storm Front. Storm Front is about 30 pages shorter than even Full Moon, so it could take up say the first 20 minutes of the first episode. I think that would help strengthen Storm Front.

Do the original comics, but animated like they have with The Boys prequel. That way you can drop them between the live action series without disrupting the live action series production, more Dresden for your money.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 11:43:56 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 02:19:37 AM »
Yes, we all have the dilemma of whether to pay the full price for a book for a little hit of Dresden.

If it’s half a dozen pages it will be very annoying, if it 90 pages much better. As the headliner I would hope the latter.

Jim is much better than most authors in that we will get a Side Jobs or Brief Cases  in time so that we see these stories

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2022, 02:31:39 AM »
I hope he is well and is writing the Olympian Affair. I'm really looking forward to that book.

I wish we got some sort of updates on this website, Twitter, or somewhere (anywhere). I saw the video from Dragon Con where he said he thought he'd be having something finished by February... it's now February. I wonder how things are progressing...

I yearn for the days when Jim was cranking out a book a year!

At dragonCon he said he was at 40% and hoped to be done by his (October) birthday. Guess not..... (Ref: Con, https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,54440.0.html )

There WAS a rumor of another divorce.. and we know  how badly the first threw him off. Not as much solid documentation on that rumor, reddit stuff

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2022, 05:02:52 AM »
Jim is much better than most authors in that we will get a Side Jobs or Brief Cases  in time so that we see these stories

So we buy the same story twice. Three times with the audiobook. Four times if it’s not Marsters.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 06:49:48 AM »
So we buy the same story twice. Three times with the audiobook. Four times if it’s not Marsters.

Well, that IS assuming you bought the first anthology.  I don't buy them for one or two stories. Jim gives me the option to bypass it. Appreciated.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 08:57:26 AM »
Agree. Also i do not buy audiobooks.
That said, I have several books both in kindle and in paper. I like to read them anywhere with my kindle, no matter where I am. But I also like the feeling of the paper pages and the look of them in my shelves (for reasons I explained later, I stopped doing that, too expensive. So I do not own SG, PT or BG hard copies. Perhaps one day).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2022, 10:21:59 PM »
Well, that IS assuming you bought the first anthology.  I don't buy them for one or two stories...

Libraries are my friend!

Like you, I don't buy an anthology for 1-2 stories.  OTOH, it's not uncommon for a DV short to occur in an anthology with a lot of other stories of interest!  Then I'll buy it (unless Larry Correia is attached, I still haven't forgiven him for the horridness that was Sad Puppies &c, nor seen anything resembling a genuine apology or remorse on his part).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2022, 02:43:36 PM »
Agree. Also i do not buy audiobooks.
That said, I have several books both in kindle and in paper. I like to read them anywhere with my kindle, no matter where I am. But I also like the feeling of the paper pages and the look of them in my shelves (for reasons I explained later, I stopped doing that, too expensive. So I do not own SG, PT or BG hard copies. Perhaps one day).

I agree, call me old fashioned but I prefer a real book with real paper pages in my hands when I cuddle up at night to read and relax.  Now I do have a Kindle and have used it to get the anthologies and to get older books that are now mostly out of print, if they are available at all, are more affordable in the Kindle format.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2022, 09:12:09 PM »
Yes, but how long do you want to wait for a fix of Dresden?

Libraries are fine, but Jim is popular (damn him for being a talented and engaging author) and waiting for a library copy can take months. If the library buys it in the first place. Looking at the Cover it does seemed designed to get bought by Libraries leaning heavily on the Jim Butcher name, so that is something.

The same for waiting several years for enough short stories to be published to make up a collection (currently only the Microfictions and the Good People have not been republished) only the story in Heroic Hearts is awaiting publication, with no news of other stories and Next Book being episodic (so Dresden centered work will be in that) I am thinking three years minimum. We will see Next Book before the next short story collection (I favour Cold Cuts as a title, tasty little slices of red meat served after the main meal, and set entirely during Harry’s tenure as Winter Knight. The number of times Harry is described as eating them is not incidental).

We may get a Dresden TV series BEFORE another short story collection, it’s that unlikely in the near to medium term.

Besides I am relatively well off and can afford to maintain a high cost Dresden habit, even if I feel slightly dirty and used after making payment to Amazon.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2022, 09:58:59 PM »

Well, some of us are just afraid we will never live to see how it all ends..

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2022, 11:25:37 PM »

Well, some of us are just afraid we will never live to see how it all ends..

George RR Martin does that to you.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2022, 11:34:13 PM »
If he keeps adding books and taking three years per book he may not live to end the series. Had I known I would have caught another bus.  He's already changed my reading habits.  Nor more series that aren't complete and no more books by Butcher other than the Dresden Files.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2022, 11:38:32 PM »
Jim is relativel young and in good health and planning for after the Dresden Files, but I still say my plan to have him sequestered in a place with no distractions until  he dies of old age, writing 16 hours a day has its attractions.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 01:53:37 AM »
Jim is relativel young and in good health and planning for after the Dresden Files, but I still say my plan to have him sequestered in a place with no distractions until  he dies of old age, writing 16 hours a day has its attractions.
I hope he lives to a hundred. I hope he writes 100's of books.  I'm just saying that I won't be reading them if I have to pay. There are hundreds of thousands of book that are finished that I haven't read yet. So assuming he doesn't run off the rails I'll get my Dresden fix at the Library.  If he can make me wait years I can wait the additional months to check out either the audio book or the hardcover.