Author Topic: Prequels  (Read 3676 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Prequels
« on: February 02, 2022, 08:21:09 PM »
Question: If you could have a prequel to the Dresden Files utilizing characters from the series (either known explicitly or only alluded to), who would you most want to see and why?

I think Maggie's (Mama Dresden) Adventures in the Never Never could be fun. What started as a mapping of the Ways would lead to all kinds of adventures. (Or maybe her adventures led to the mapping of the Ways.) And maybe along the way, we find out what makes Malcolm a truly good man.

Hope all are well here in the Dresden forum. Cheers---Brien

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Prequels
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 05:05:33 AM »

Oh I'd like to go back a bit further, Margaret as a little girl, just was her relationship with her father.
More importantly what was her mother like?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »
For me it's the supernatural influence on historical events. Every long lived or otherwise immortal creature references historical events they were witness or otherwise a part of.

OG Merlin would be great.

I'd love to see a series on Kemmler and hunting him down, like the Luccio short story.

French revolution maybe.

Jims got that LtW, Ebenezar and Langtry 7 years war-American revolution in his head. Washingtons a KotC

Cortez fighting the Red Court. Ebenezar says it was the last time the entire court went to Chitzen Itza. Very Bad Guys vs Bad Guys.

WOJ is Council helped develop the Renaissance.

Crusades woj is Saladin was a KotC.

Thing is nobody in current Dresden Files has any influence on contemporary and modern events. I mean I understand why, Harry can't because the White Council forbids it and Jim doesn't want current events impacting Dresden as either on the story or getting dragged into modern politics. Beside Battle of Chicago changes Dresdens world irrevocably but still some modern events are harder to ignore on impacting the world.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 03:42:54 PM »

Yeah, but I really want to know what was the dynamic between Eb and his daughter which led to her rebelling, which led ultimately to the birth of both Thomas and Harry. Which is also at the root of the problems Harry has had with the Council over the years.  I also want to know more about Margaret's mother, we know nothing about her, she is never mentioned, I think that is significant.. And why, exactly, does Eb hate all vampires so..

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 04:42:02 PM »
I'd love any or all of these things. But mainly I'd like him to finish first.  Or get rich letting someone else do it.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 06:26:51 PM »
There is one A Fistful of Warlocks.

Nothing else yet. Bah!

Why they just can’t hobble Jim and chain him to a bed with a laptop I don’t know.

(How many of you are thinking “Oh that’s horrible!” But also “minimum two long books a years plus plenty of novellas, comics, and short stories as well....”)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 10:46:03 PM »
I'm loving these ideas! Thanks for responding.

I like the idea of Influence.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 07:01:37 PM »
What was the supernatural doing in lesser known (or at least referenced) historical events, like the Polish Deluge, collapse of Carolingian Europe (and the root of the Carpenter line), the 30/80 years war, the 2nd Punic war...

But of course those aren't gonna happen because then the author would have to know them well enough to tweak them. But MW, Odin, Ferro, and the former Red King would've seen them all (in the Red King's case, for certain values of 'seen', no idea if the supernatural was already global).

For more likely cases:
- The ascendance of Mab
- The first Knights of the Cross after TWC died. We suspect they have been here before then given the Kusanagi connection, but how did that all go?
- The takedown of Abdul Alhazred

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 09:44:14 PM »
What actually happened in 1066.

The DV take on Merlin and Arthur.

Rashid's beginnings and how he became Gatekeeper.

What drove Ebenezar to do Tunguska, Krakatoa, or New Madrid.

Some Kincaid stuff - what Eb has against him, or what he has against Nicodemus.

The Stokerlypse.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 07:06:45 AM »

The Stokerlypse.

That's actually covered in Paranet Papers quite a bit.

As for Kincaid, something to do with Maggie Sr undoubtedly.

What was the supernatural doing in lesser known (or at least referenced) historical events, like the Polish Deluge, collapse of Carolingian Europe (and the root of the Carpenter line), the 30/80 years war, the 2nd Punic war...

I'd be interested to see which supernatural factions or powers were backing Rome and Carthage respectively.

White Court speaks Etruscans so they could be on either side. Hannibal had some tribes from Northern Italy rally to him.

For more likely cases:
- The ascendance of Mab
- The first Knights of the Cross after TWC died. We suspect they have been here before then given the Kusanagi connection, but how did that all go?
- The takedown of Abdul Alhazred

Arthurian and 1066- I think we all want to know the details.

Jim has said he might do an anthology for the various Knights some of whom died on the job.

I'd like some more stuff on Gatekeeper as well.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
An anthology of the Knights sounds good, but it should include at least one Historical Winter Knight, Tam Lin, as well as one historical Summer Knight,  Ronald Ruel, perhaps,  in a team up with a Knight of the Sword?

What if the Round Table included all three Knights of the Sword AND both Winter and Summer Knights? If Galahad was a Knight of the Sword and Lancelot (duLac) a Winter Knight, then  Gawain the  Summer Knight as well as Mordred as a hidden Denarian. I would have Sir Palomeides as the third Knight of the Sword. You would have Mab and Titania and the original Merlin so you would want this as the main novella of any anthology.

We already have a Michael and Butters Story so we would also want a Shiro and a Sanya Story, perhaps the classic story of Shiro finding god, or Sanya as a Denarian?

Call it KNIGHT VISION.

(See you are starting to come round to my plan for Jim, he spends far too much time not writing all of this)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 08:47:02 PM »
An anthology of the Knights sounds good, but it should include at least one Historical Winter Knight, Tam Lin, as well as one historical Summer Knight,  Ronald Ruel, perhaps,  in a team up with a Knight of the Sword?

I know Tam Lin has come up before in the forum. Remind me---Has Jim referenced Tam Lin specifically, or are the references just forum-related? In my VERY short internet search, he's rescued by his love on Halloween.

I wonder if we've even met Harry's true love, yet. Certainly, he loves faithfully and truly--ie Susan and Murphy.  And if Harry is Tam Lin, or Tam Lin-like, then who rescues him from Mab (or some other faerie queen) and the WK mantle?

Thoughts?

Thanks---Brien

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 09:21:43 PM »
In Cold Days at the party.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile