Author Topic: How powerful is Ivy getting?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline I_hate_lotr

• Lurker
    • View Profile
How powerful is Ivy getting?
« on: November 25, 2021, 04:03:53 AM »
She's the embodiment of knowledge but with as many people on the planet and the internet. How smart is she getting? Also does she know every spell the original Merlin knew?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: How powerful is Ivy getting?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »
She's the embodiment of knowledge but with as many people on the planet and the internet. How smart is she getting? Also does she know every spell the original Merlin knew?

The Archive knows all of what has ever been written down, and now that she is growing up and
has control, she is very powerful indeed as we saw in Battle Ground.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 06:14:00 PM »
Ivy is probably the greatest wizard on the planet and is only held back by her physical form's limitations. She knows all the spells and has an apparently greater efficiency than even the older White Council members when it comes to powering them. She should have access to enhancement type magic like the Fagin-like villain in Ghost Story if she doesn't just atomize her opponent.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:42:16 PM »
It’s no just knowledge as an abstract, it’s the ability to comprehend and apply that knowledge.

For example she will have access to every bit of science and technical data the human race has ever developed, but does she have the native ability to apply that knowledge other than just write it out? Is she little more than a data storage device? Of can she develop new formulae and applications? She might have every bit of information about the internal combustion engine, but could she actually diagnose a problem with one and fix it?

By analogy Bob on a much smaller scale only realised some of his potential working with Butters, who Harry freely admits is a genius. Butters can’t store the information like Bob, but in some respects he can process information in ways Bob simply cannot unaided.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 09:30:45 PM »

By analogy Bob on a much smaller scale only realised some of his potential working with Butters, who Harry freely admits is a genius. Butters can’t store the information like Bob, but in some respects he can process information in ways Bob simply cannot unaided.

Not so much because Butters was a genius [agreed he is] but because Butters is an ordinary vanilla human, Bob had access to things and information, like computers etc that he couldn't with Harry because of wizard technology limitations

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 09:33:36 PM »
Honestly, I feel like Ivy was a lightweight in Battle Ground. In the Shed Aquarium battle, she fought many Denarians at once, but in Bettle Ground, she had "heavy things" floating around her. It doesn't make sense to me why if she was so skillful, she would use blunt objects as her weapon of choice. Why not a fistful of Mordite or lightning or some other more elemental or powerful weapon. While Ivy has a large magical "battery" and is very talented in some aspects, I think her human side prevents her from becoming the ultimate powerhouse she could become. Maybe as she ages, she'll learn how to use her power in other ways.

Update/edit:
On the other hand, maybe my thinking is wrong. When I was writing this, I was thinking of physical power. However, that's not what the Archive is supposed to be. While the Archive can defend itself, its main purpose and power come from knowledge. So in incidences of mass casualty (such as post Battle Ground), she can direct humanity in the most efficient ways possible and can preserve knowledge.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:36:52 PM by seanham »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2021, 01:23:04 AM »
Not so much because Butters was a genius [agreed he is] but because Butters is an ordinary vanilla human, Bob had access to things and information, like computers etc that he couldn't with Harry because of wizard technology limitations

Thinking more along the way Bob has problems with faith and the White God’s artefacts, not his “wavelength”, it’s how he is built, the Archive I think has a similar problem, she was designed for the preservation of Human Knowledge, so when she was up against the Denarians the human hosts knowledge accumulated by the Fallen over Millenia. Against the Non-Human Fomor and the Titan they are operating from a totally alien knowledge base to the Archive, she can’t “see” what they are doing and how to counter it. She has to make it up as she goes along, and I suspect the Archive isn’t good at that type of spontaneity.

I wonder if this is why Nick recruited Blood on His Soul? To broaden out the knowledge base of the Fallen.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 02:21:23 AM »
I thought the Archives purpose was to win the Oblivion War.  Having access to all human lore was to make sure that those things are erased from human memory. Am I mistaken?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2021, 02:40:07 AM »
It’s no just knowledge as an abstract, it’s the ability to comprehend and apply that knowledge.

For example she will have access to every bit of science and technical data the human race has ever developed, but does she have the native ability to apply that knowledge other than just write it out? Is she little more than a data storage device? Of can she develop new formulae and applications? She might have every bit of information about the internal combustion engine, but could she actually diagnose a problem with one and fix it?

considering her ability with magic, it's not just set to read only. She Incorporated and understood it well enough to use it to great effect.
Honestly, I feel like Ivy was a lightweight in Battle Ground. In the Shed Aquarium battle, she fought many Denarians at once, but in Bettle Ground, she had "heavy things" floating around her. It doesn't make sense to me why if she was so skillful, she would use blunt objects as her weapon of choice. Why not a fistful of Mordite or lightning or some other more elemental or powerful weapon
likely for the same reason harry used vanilla fire vs the corner hounds(also hwwbh), because stuff from the real world is harder for magically resistant beings to slew off them. An the titanic armor seemed to handle magic easier than physical attacks (like Lara's hamstring)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2021, 12:04:11 PM »
I thought the Archives purpose was to win the Oblivion War.  Having access to all human lore was to make sure that those things are erased from human memory. Am I mistaken?

I don't think you are, but that doesn't mean all human lore is erased from it's memory.  It may be why the Denarians wanted the Archive so badly, they wanted access to some of the memory that was erased so they could use it.  Notice they made their move when the human shell it resides in was a orphaned child and vulnerable.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
The purpose of the Archive is two-fold

(1) publicly itis solely to ensure that all human knowledge is retained against calamity such as the fire at Alexandria

(2) secretly it is to win the Oblivion War, to remove all recorded of names or rituals which might summon beings such as those in maximum security at Demonreach.

It strikes me the Archive and the Warden are working at cross purposes, Harry can use that knowledge to summon said beings and put them in maximum security. But Harry doesn’t know about the Oblivion War, and Ivy may not know of Demonreach as there doesn’t appear to be a user manual. This may have been a secret passed down orally by the Senior Council. Frankly, Harry is being extremely lax in writing it up in the Files, but he hasn’t done that in the narrative yet.

As pointed out above Ivy probably isn’t very good at spontaneity- being what she is she is probably on the autistic spectrum as well, and this will affect to some degree how she approaches problems. She is best with problems recorded in human knowledge, but the Titan may pre-date the Archive or even written language, creating a blind-spot, with only post literary myth to go on and the Fomor not being human and hiding away creates another similar blind spot. She knows everything recorded by the White Council, including their intelligence reports and may know everything recorded by the White Court if they are considered human enough.An alliance of the Titan and the Fomor must have been Ivy’s worst nightmare, she obviously had no indication the attack was going to happen and was blind sided with everyone else.

Knowing this you can work around the Archives Intellectus and exploit her lack of knowledge, as Nick obviously did to trap her.

Offline Dagroth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »
She's the embodiment of knowledge but with as many people on the planet and the internet.

There's something I'm wondering about here: Ivy has access to everything written or printed on paper (Not just books, for example, in I think "Small Favor", Harry writes the message along the line of "Hold on, help is coming" on a random piece of paper, and Ivy later says she got it.) - but with computers, Internet, audio- and e- books, etc... well, does she have access to all that information, too? (Magic has problems with modern technology, as evidenced by Harry's)

If not, that'd seriously limit her knowledge. Or maybe even nullify her purpose. H.P. Lovecraft's works most likely also exist in audio- and e- book form, for example, and they made humanity aware of some of the Old Ones. Other ones can also easily be on the Internet, e-books, digital audio recordings... if Ivy's power can't access that kind of stuff, that'd make it largely obsolete in a modern age, at least until magic "catches up" (I don't remember where, but Harry once said, or narrated, that magic once caused warts and the like, which made its practicioners easy-ish to identify - presumably, it will eventually adjust to modern tech, and the side effects move on to something else).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »

I really don't think it is a matter of how powerful Ivy is getting, the Archive always had that power.
  The issue has always been of Ivy controlling her emotions and letting the Archive doing what it needs to do.  I think that is what Luccio was getting at when she warned Harry about treating Ivy like a normal little girl at the end of Small Favor. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 08:48:43 PM »
There's a WOJ somewhere about Ivy and computers.  There isn't anything special about print per se. ASCII or it's other forms are just another way of encoding ideas and thoughts, like text.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 08:58:53 PM »

I really don't think it is a matter of how powerful Ivy is getting, the Archive always had that power.
  The issue has always been of Ivy controlling her emotions and letting the Archive doing what it needs to do.  I think that is what Luccio was getting at when she warned Harry about treating Ivy like a normal little girl at the end of Small Favor.

The Archive must inherently be conservative - after all it's fighting a war that takes centuries / millennia. What Harry was doing is push it/her to be active NOW, which is a risk, but comes with way more power expenditure.

So if Ivy gets out of the way and only the Archive acts, it will be careful to extricate itself from situations where she can show her power. But when Ivy acts, she stands up and shows what the Archive can really unleash in terms of direct power, as she did at the aquarium.

(the more subtle power of information, that probably works better in Archive-mode)