Author Topic: Margarets  (Read 1563 times)

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Margarets
« on: September 29, 2021, 03:30:42 PM »
Margaret (Maggie) Dresden, Margaret (Molly) Carpenter, Margaret Dresden (LeFay). Maiden, Mother, Crone?

IMHO, the nicknames are to distract you from the fact that the most important women in Harry's life are all named Margaret.

In fact, since Madge if a diminutive form of Margaret, I'd be completely unsurprised if Mab's proper name wasn't Margaret.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Margarets
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 10:03:37 PM »
Clearly Cinder Spires is DF earth after the BAT. Why? Gwendolyn Margaret Elizabeth Lancaster.

Or maybe Jim just likes that name *Shrug*

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 11:21:38 PM »
I think part of the reason why there are so many M names in this series is how Jim (at least used to) come up with names when he was stumped.  Just flip open the yellow pages and point a finger.  You tend to open up in the middle of the book, and M's are right there in the middle.  Between that and so many mythology names that are less flexible, we get lots of M names.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 08:20:00 AM »
also, don't discount Maggie could well be simply named after her grandmother. Wasn't there once a pattern that suggested first daughter be named after the maternal grandmother? Not independent.

Or Jim had a girlfriend by the name. 

(Gwen in CS is also known for a big mouth and not following the recommended routes. )

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 11:02:22 AM »
Clearly Cinder Spires is DF earth after the BAT. Why? Gwendolyn Margaret Elizabeth Lancaster.

Or maybe Jim just likes that name *Shrug*
Wasn't Margaret Dresden's middle name Gwendolyn?
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 07:58:58 PM »
I believe that it's stated in Changes that Susan named her after Harry's mother... not so much mystery?

now Molly on the other hand