Author Topic: After the BAT?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
After the BAT?
« on: September 21, 2021, 10:31:53 PM »
I am reading The High King to my kids. So good! Spoiler alert for this book:

Magic leaves Prydain after Arawn's defeat.

Could something similar occur in the Dresdenverse at the conclusion of the BAT? I'd be inclined to say no because magic is part of the "physics" of the universe, but perhaps if the Outsiders are finally defeated (big if) these physics could change. Maybe magical beings would still exist but not interact with mortals, unless they were divine/angelic. Maybe "talent" would no longer occur among mortals. Maybe God will hit a big ol' reset button (but not in a Matrix kind of way, shudder).

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: After the BAT?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
Considering Jim has said a follow on series with Goodman Gray is in the offing, with Harry featuring as a frenemy, it seems unlikely that magic will go away. The Never Never, things that go bump in the night, vampires, wicked fae, all would seem to feature as prominently as they do in the Dresden Files.

Although Harry and the BAT might cause another change in the magical side effects of mortal magic. Harry might be able to get a cell phone! And drive a reliable car!
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 02:41:33 AM »
I am reading The High King to my kids. So good! Spoiler alert for this book:

Magic leaves Prydain after Arawn's defeat.

Could something similar occur in the Dresdenverse at the conclusion of the BAT? I'd be inclined to say no because magic is part of the "physics" of the universe, but perhaps if the Outsiders are finally defeated (big if) these physics could change. Maybe magical beings would still exist but not interact with mortals, unless they were divine/angelic. Maybe "talent" would no longer occur among mortals. Maybe God will hit a big ol' reset button (but not in a Matrix kind of way, shudder).

While I love that Book, my guess is that something happens in the BAT that turns our world into the world of the Cinder Spires.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 02:43:57 AM »
While I love that Book, my guess is that something happens in the BAT that turns our world into the world of the Cinder Spires.

I think something horrible will happen, world is in chaos, and somehow Dresden (time travel?) undoes it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 03:40:58 PM »
The likelihood is that the human and magic worlds integrate and Jim is using the A in BAT properly, as a disclosure of knowledge or revelation, not as destruction ( though there will be destruction)

BG is therefore a little ‘a’ apocalypse, the masquerade in Chicago wearing thin is now gone for good. Harry literally uses that line. You know that there has been a big A Apocalypse when Winter is asked to join the UN as a new Permanent Member of the Security Council, and when Harry Dresden is asked to be Winters UN Ambassador.