Poll

Jim says the Blackstaff chooses.  I don't know if that means the Staff itself, or the person who has it.  Regardless who do you see getting it?

Harry: Winter Knight, and Jailer of dark gods.  Hero wizard to some, warlock villain to others
10 (62.5%)
Luccio: Commander of the Wardens.
0 (0%)
Carlos:  Talented up and comer.  Likely to follow orders.
2 (12.5%)
Other: Who would fit this role?
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Who will be the next Blackstaff? (If Eb dies)  (Read 4385 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Who will be the next Blackstaff? (If Eb dies)
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:18:33 AM »
Like I said, the Blackstaff chooses the wielder.  I really don't know if it's the Staff or if it's the person wielding it that decides.  Anyways who do you see getting it?  Besides Dresden, Luccio, and Carlos I can't think of likely candidates.  If you come up with other names, I will add them to the poll.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 05:20:36 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who will be the next Blackstaff? (If Eb dies)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:32:10 AM »
My money's on Carlos he's due for a power up, White Council loyalist, Warden officer (Just like Eb used to be). If nothing else Ebenezar would figure Harry has enough responsibility, plus you know he's no longer a member of the White Council. I doubt they'd let the one guy who can break the laws be Harry.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 05:39:59 AM »
My money's on Carlos he's due for a power up, White Council loyalist, Warden officer (Just like Eb used to be). If nothing else Ebenezar would figure Harry has enough responsibility, plus you know he's no longer a member of the White Council. I doubt they'd let the one guy who can break the laws be Harry.

Eb was the Captain of the Wardens.  Not sure but I think that means he was the leader of them behind The Merlin?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 05:53:28 AM »
Eb was the Captain of the Wardens.  Not sure but I think that means he was the leader of them behind The Merlin?

Carlos is Acting Captain with Luccio out of commission. Captains handle the day to day, and implementation of the Wardens. Senior Council still had to vote on outright mass operations during the Red Court War. During Dead Beat the Red Court Assault, Senior Council had to vote to do a counter attack. Luccio as Captain did make an executive decision during Dead Beat to scrounge up the strike team to take on Kemmlers Disciples though.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »
Okay I'm really going to go out on a limb, I don't think there will be another Blackstaff, Eb dies, and Harry will give Mother Winter her staff back.  It could be that that is the deal changer that is needed to defeat the Outsiders, or because of her role, Mother Winter will get her staff back.. Or.....Wait for it, Harry presents Mab with it as she takes over Mother Winter's job.. ::)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 02:00:41 PM by Mira »

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 07:30:49 PM »
Side note thought...

My cousin was a police chief in a small town for about 25 years and in that time saw a lot of officers come and go. The one thing he said that made the most sense with regards to this question of who gets it is that the last person you want in that position of authority is someone who can't wait to be there. I think Eb was the right person for the Blackstaff because he valued all that was beautiful and amazing about magic (that he imparted to Harry) and that he'd only use it if no other decision could be made. I'm starting to think that the Blackstaff (actual) is similar to one of the Swords in that the wielder must be right for the job.

Consider Winter's calculating and pragmatic approach to decision making and (if it really is Mother Winter's walking stick), how Eb was chosen to be its bearer. What dire circumstance was at hand (How long has Eb had it?) when Eb was chosen (or chose) to be the Blackstaff? Was he, like Harry, a tool to be wielded by Winter? I think that's a story I might like to read.

Just yapping.

Cheers and best to you around the globe!

Brien

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 07:37:55 PM »
Side note thought...

My cousin was a police chief in a small town for about 25 years and in that time saw a lot of officers come and go. The one thing he said that made the most sense with regards to this question of who gets it is that the last person you want in that position of authority is someone who can't wait to be there. I think Eb was the right person for the Blackstaff because he valued all that was beautiful and amazing about magic (that he imparted to Harry) and that he'd only use it if no other decision could be made. I'm starting to think that the Blackstaff (actual) is similar to one of the Swords in that the wielder must be right for the job.

Consider Winter's calculating and pragmatic approach to decision making and (if it really is Mother Winter's walking stick), how Eb was chosen to be its bearer. What dire circumstance was at hand (How long has Eb had it?) when Eb was chosen (or chose) to be the Blackstaff? Was he, like Harry, a tool to be wielded by Winter? I think that's a story I might like to read.

Just yapping.

Brien

Yeah, that was the theory behind Game of Thrones also, and it didn't turn out so well.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:31:01 AM »
I bet Cristos could throw a monkey wrench in things and expose the role and purpose of the Blackstaff to the Council, in an attempt to either get it for himself or a trusted lackey. I'd guess himself if he's Cowl, or a lackey if he's not.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 07:21:42 AM »
Side note thought...

Just yapping.

Brien

Which would be along the lines of the legend of Cincinnatus, serving as dictator in crisis, then returning to the farm,  or a Washington turning down a kingship, becoming president, serving two terms, and saying "Someone else's turn" and walking away.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 04:33:45 AM »
No one, Harry takes it from Eb not necessarily upon his death and returns it to Mother Winter earning a huge favour, and removing from the White Council a major magical artefact, which allowed it to act with rank hypocrisy. Harry would see that as a win-win.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 03:01:37 PM »
No one, Harry takes it from Eb not necessarily upon his death and returns it to Mother Winter earning a huge favour, and removing from the White Council a major magical artefact, which allowed it to act with rank hypocrisy. Harry would see that as a win-win.

This is what I think also.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 03:07:06 PM »

Is this the "Chosen one restoring balance to the universe" thing?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »
Nope, it’s Harry realising Mother Winter would eventually get it back and use it on Harry for not doing so sooner.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 08:43:52 PM »
It could be that Mother Winter will summon Harry and give him a command to ger her walking stick back. Either he dies trying to get it from Eb, or he survives and returns the stick; either way, Mother Winter would be happy.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 02:23:28 AM »
The unknown in this question is, "Where will Harry be when Ebenezer dies?"  If Harry just get's word of Ebenezer's death or if Harry is present, but so are a number of powerful members of the White Council, then in all likelihood the Council decides and either Captain Luccio or Warden Ramirez gets the Blackstaff.  The only reason I don't think it will be Luccio is because her fighting ability has been diminished.  The Blackstaff would make her uber-powerful, but it's a weapon that should only be used with great discretion and only at times when nothing else is appropriate.  So, I could see Ramirez getting the job in an attempt by the Senior Council to counter-balance Harry.

On the other hand, if Harry and Ebenezer are together when Eb meets his end, but no one else is around, that changes things.  I could see Harry picking up the staff and wouldn't you know it, Mab shows up to give Harry the most dangerous mission he has ever faced.  A task that even the Eye of Ethniu would be of little use in completing.  Now Harry won't want the Blackstaff, so I could see Harry getting summoned by Mother Winter and getting told that either he has to use the Blackstaff to complete his mission or return it to it's original owner, Mother Winter herself.  It doesn't have to be exactly that scenario, but it could be something close to that. 

If Harry does pick up the Blackstaff, my prediction is that it will be a one and done affair.  As Harry is no longer a member of the White Council, he couldn't act as Blackstaff Dresden of the Council, though it would give the Council a new level of deniability if Harry did their dirty work for them.  However, most of the Senior Council would never trust Harry with that job.  After using the Blackstaff once, my guess is that Harry would return it to the Council rather than Mother Winter.  Then again, maybe not, I don't know.  It's just a feeling I have.       
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx