Author Topic: Wonder what Eb meant by this  (Read 3104 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Wonder what Eb meant by this
« on: September 21, 2021, 03:49:05 AM »
When he thought he killed Harry he said "Oh, lad.  Didn't think you were going to come at me again.  Didn't think it would trigger"

What would trigger?  What did he mean?  I don't think the spell was meant for the Beetle because it was just a small projectile the size of a quarter.  I'm wondering what exactly he's referring to.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder what Eb meant by this
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 04:47:14 AM »
When he thought he killed Harry he said "Oh, lad.  Didn't think you were going to come at me again.  Didn't think it would trigger"

What would trigger?  What did he mean?  I don't think the spell was meant for the Beetle because it was just a small projectile the size of a quarter.  I'm wondering what exactly he's referring to.

Last line of defense maybe or failsafe?  In other words, if he, the Blackstaff was in serious danger of going down in a close fight, it would automatically trigger the projectile killing the enemy.  It makes sense, the last thing Eb or the Council would want is for the Blackstaff to fall into enemy hands.  It just speaks to how close Harry may have come to actually defeating Eb. Or perhaps because of the emotional aspects of the fight, Eb lost his grip on that last line of defense. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 05:08:56 AM »
Last line of defense maybe or failsafe?  In other words, if he, the Blackstaff was in serious danger of going down in a close fight, it would automatically trigger the projectile killing the enemy.  It makes sense, the last thing Eb or the Council would want is for the Blackstaff to fall into enemy hands.  It just speaks to how close Harry may have come to actually defeating Eb. Or perhaps because of the emotional aspects of the fight, Eb lost his grip on that last line of defense.

I think it was more about emotional control rather than Harry being close to beating him.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 05:12:44 AM »
Reading the passage again, the thing that killed doppelganger!Harry seemed like a small piece of whatever main spell that Eb was preparing. 

Quote from: Peace Talks Ch.32
“Family,” came the old man’s voice, a primordial growl lurking in it. “One. Of those things.”

He whirled toward the retreating boat, barely visible from the shore by now, and his staff burst into incandescent blue flame as he lifted it in his right hand, the hand that projects energy, drawing it back.

“No!” I shouted, and lurched toward him.

He spun, eyes surrounded by white, his face scarlet, his teeth bared in a snarl, snapping his staff out …

And what looked like a comet about the size of a quarter, blazing like a star, leapt from the staff, like some kind of bizarre random static spark, and plunged into my ribs and out my spine.

I tumbled down to the dock on my back, the stars suddenly unusually bright above me.
In that kind of emotional state, I could see Eb being sloppy with control of his spell.  He took in a bunch of energy, but wasn't careful enough with how he was controlling it.  When Harry surprised him, he lost control of a spark of it that was enough to kill Harry. 
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 12:20:31 PM »
I think it was more about emotional control rather than Harry being close to beating him.

Yes, but enough fear was felt that the fail safe was triggered.  Eb had underestimated his grandson,  his power and skills, that is why he didn't block the fail safe, he never thought the fight would go so far that it would be triggered.  Not understanding the full situation made it worse.  Emotional control was involved, in more ways than one, it prevented Eb from listening to what Harry was trying to tell him in the first place.  Eb feared for his grandson, then when not only presented with a great granddaughter, but the idea that he had a vampire grandson as well, was too much, Eb's judgement from that point on was compromised.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:25:35 PM by Mira »

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
I think Eb thought he had a lock down on his rage enough that he wouldn't trigger to the point that he would risk killing Harry, but he did and totally lost it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »
I think Eb thought he had a lock down on his rage enough that he wouldn't trigger to the point that he would risk killing Harry, but he did and totally lost it.

But that is exactly what shocked him, Eb realized in that moment that he had lost control.. The Blackstaff especially should never lose control, his/her judgement is paramount because of the kind of force they can wield.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if we see Eb trying to resign his post once he recovers.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 05:58:09 PM »
But that is exactly what shocked him, Eb realized in that moment that he had lost control.. The Blackstaff especially should never lose control, his/her judgement is paramount because of the kind of force they can wield.  I wouldn't be totally shocked if we see Eb trying to resign his post once he recovers.
While it's true that the Blackstaff should never lose control, Eb is a wizard with a wizard's arrogance.  He won't resign his post.  He either doesn't want to foist the burden on someone he loves or he doesn't think the new guy could do it as well as he could.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:35 PM »
While it's true that the Blackstaff should never lose control, Eb is a wizard with a wizard's arrogance.  He won't resign his post.  He either doesn't want to foist the burden on someone he loves or he doesn't think the new guy could do it as well as he could.

Yup, that is arrogance alright.. That is partly why I think Eb will be the last Blackstaff.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 09:49:21 PM »
do you think that Mother Winter is going to get her walking stick back?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 10:13:28 PM »
do you think that Mother Winter is going to get her walking stick back?

I do.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 05:15:07 AM »

i think he meant, the magic itself. He thought his own belief in what he should do with magic would stop him from doing something that would kill harry directly.
The power behind the spell would have launched it across the water with enough left over energy to sink the beetle imo, that was his primary goal. Then they'd have to come back aground to him.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 05:32:12 AM »
Here is something else I found interesting:  He spun, eyes surrounded by white, his face was scarlet

Earlier:  His face was red.  Too red.  The veins stood out sharply in his head, his neck.  And the ground was shaking.

I'm not positive but it makes me curious if something else is going on here.  Jim did say that all the Senior Council members have a secret power that nobody knows about.  I'm wondering if this is a hint of what Eb's secret power is.  Kind of like the Hulk rages out, if Eb loses it, this destructive ability will manifest, as Harry found out.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 07:01:19 AM »
Maybe the Staff itself is sentient? Harry's charge set off a self defense protocol beyond Eb's control? Eb was holding back - but the Staff doesn't. Maybe the black veins on his rams are a threat to take over the wielder as well. Need great power and will to hold it back - when you project power and will it makes advances. Then you need to make it retreat. Elric's sword Stormbringer?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 11:08:11 AM »
Here is something else I found interesting:  He spun, eyes surrounded by white, his face was scarlet

Earlier:  His face was red.  Too red.  The veins stood out sharply in his head, his neck.  And the ground was shaking.

I'm not positive but it makes me curious if something else is going on here.  Jim did say that all the Senior Council members have a secret power that nobody knows about.  I'm wondering if this is a hint of what Eb's secret power is.  Kind of like the Hulk rages out, if Eb loses it, this destructive ability will manifest, as Harry found out.

The fail safe..  But that seems to be a bit weird though, so if they are voted onto the Senior Council they get a secret power along with a key the executive bathroom? :o