Author Topic: Mistakes Harry has made that will come back  (Read 7144 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Mistakes Harry has made that will come back
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 05:49:23 AM »
You can call it pulling the trigger on her emotionally, or you can say he showed her the truth.  When she realized that Martin was pulling the double cross and her little girl was going to die because of it, it pissed her off and she proceeded to rip his throat out as most loving mothers would. 

Then Harry explains to her as she is turning why the Red King wanted to kill Maggie, further explained that as the youngest vamp, she could kill all of them with her death.  Susan is conflicted some as she is turning, then she looks at her daughter, she tells Harry she doesn't think she can do it.

Then she says to Harry; page 419 Changes
At that point, there was only one way to save little Maggie, they both knew it... Yes, she was telling him to cut her throat, it was the only way.

"One day I hope God will forgive me for giving birth to the idea that came next.  Because I never will.  I knew how angry she was.  I knew how afraid she was.  Her child was about to die only inches beyond her reach, and what I did to her was as good as murder".....

Sounds like he made a deliberate decision here.  Hey could have thought of something else, but he chose this.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »
"One day I hope God will forgive me for giving birth to the idea that came next.  Because I never will.  I knew how angry she was.  I knew how afraid she was.  Her child was about to die only inches beyond her reach, and what I did to her was as good as murder".....

Sounds like he made a deliberate decision here.  Hey could have thought of something else, but he chose this.

Or once again it is Harry's conscience beating himself up overly, even though he did all he could at the time to save both her and their daughter.   They were losing the fight, Maggie was about to die, so what did Harry do? Told Susan the truth about Martin.  He may call that murder, but it wasn't, Susan still had a choice whether or not to tear Martin's throat out, she knew it would complete her change.  Heck it may have happened anyway the moment Maggie's throat was cut, and there wouldn't have been anyone or anything to stop her turning.

Susan's final words..
"Help me please, save her please.."  Um, at that point killing the Red King wasn't going to happen, in spite of all his efforts, their daughter's throat was about to be cut.... Once that happened, Harry was dead, Maggie was dead, Eb was dead, and Susan would be a vamp.. Another way to save their daughter?  I don't think so, Holy Knights, powerful Fae, Odin, the Black Staff and others of the Grey Council fighting to stop it from happening, and they were still losing, Maggie's throat was still about to be cut by the Red King.. Also hate to get technical here, but when Harry did cut Susan's throat, she was no longer Susan, she was the youngest Red Court Vamp.  So he didn't murder Susan, he murdered the youngest Red Court Vamp, if she was still Susan the spell reversal wouldn't have worked.   So like we see in Christmas Eve., Harry beats himself up with woulda, shoulda, coulda, when in truth he did the best he could and it wasn't enough.  Even though it was the only way to save little Maggie, and her mother was no longer a human at the point that he killed her, still hurts and will always hurt, so he beats himself up.. But did he really have another option?  No, is the answer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:29:19 PM by Mira »

Offline Monkez

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 08:13:28 AM »
Harry cut her throat.  I don't see any text where he said to Susan. Is this what you want? He didn't say here's my plan. Are you all in? He primed her and aimed her at Martin and pulled the trigger on her emotionally.

This is the point where Harry becomes a monster.  He is our monster but none the less a monster. He will do anything to do what it is that he wants to accomplish.  Make any deal, use anyone to save his daughter. And a reasonable person might suggest that Harry meant for it to turn out this way given that he says this in Chapter Two.

Actually, Harry was feeling guilty about it and was starting to believe that he was a monster.  In Skin Game, it was Michael who set him straight.  That as a Red Court Vampire, Susan HAD given her consent because if she didn't, Harry would not have been able to proceed.  Susan would have overpowered him.  So no, Harry is not a monster and he does not believe that he's a monster.  But he does work with/for them.

I always wanted to be a monk, but I never got the chants.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »
In Battle Ground Harry came as close as he ever will to being a monster, that’s why Sanya and Butters were there, not to kill a monster (the Titan) but to stop the birth of a worse monster (Harry).

If Harry had gone Monster it would have doomed his time-line and the best opportunity to stop the Outsiders this cycle without the loss of far too many time lines.

I believe the White God will win each cycle, but is forced to erase doomed timelines where the Outsiders win. This means in some cycles the Multiverse is pruned back radically with untold time-lines erased in others it is relatively light. Harry’s time-line has an Infinity War Type chance of success, but success is dependent upon the exercise of Harry’s free will. The decision not to kill Murphy’s murderer may have saved untold time-lines and Trillions upon Trillions of sentient beings. The next best chance with a much higher degree of success may leave the Multiverse say 40% smaller, the next after that 45% smaller etc.

Harry’s time-line is an outlier, a fluke, a Longshot Universe, where more than 90% of the multiverse can be saved this cycle, meaning a greater probability of early success next cycle and in each successive cycle as the Multiverse generates more diverse time-lines and potential saviours.

If Harry succeeds in this Longshot Universe, the pruning may be relatively light this time, only those Universes created since Grave Peril only will be erased, which of course includes the Mirror Mirror Universe. Harry may come to understand this in Mirror Mirror, his choice not to kill may in retrospect be the best he has ever made.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 05:40:11 PM »
In Battle Ground Harry came as close as he ever will to being a monster, that’s why Sanya and Butters were there, not to kill a monster (the Titan) but to stop the birth of a worse monster (Harry).

I don't think killing Rudolph would have made Harry a monster.  Now if the attempt had been unprovoked, coldly, and more importantly for pleasure, then he would have become a monster. 
Don't get me wrong, killing Rudolph still would have been bad and when he came to himself again, something Harry would feel guilty about for the rest of his life.  But in reaction to what he saw as the murder of his friend and lover?  Not a monstrous act at all.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 05:56:55 PM »
Hope he doesn't have to kill Carlos

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2021, 07:42:13 PM »
I don't think killing Rudolph would have made Harry a monster.  Now if the attempt had been unprovoked, coldly, and more importantly for pleasure, then he would have become a monster. 
Don't get me wrong, killing Rudolph still would have been bad and when he came to himself again, something Harry would feel guilty about for the rest of his life.  But in reaction to what he saw as the murder of his friend and lover?  Not a monstrous act at all.

The Faithsabre says No! A blade which can only hurt monsters, and which Harry had had no trouble with previous, wounded him.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2021, 08:20:39 PM »
I believe FaithSabre will only do as much as needed to overcome the situation against humans

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2021, 08:29:45 PM »
The Faithsabre says No! A blade which can only hurt monsters, and which Harry had had no trouble with previous, wounded him.

It burned him, he immediately snapped out of the state he was in.  Kind of a slap on the ass to bring him back.. Burned him a little, yes, but hey it could have taken his arm clean off if he were really bad in his heart. Harry felt shame and remorse every time he felt that pain, a monster wouldn't feel anything.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
Harry's a monster.  Showing remorse doesn't mean anything. A man might show remorse after beating his wife to death. It makes him no less a monster. The day might come when Butter's or someone isn't there.  And then what? And this isn't the first instance of Harry going into a killing rage.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2021, 12:05:33 AM »
Harry's a monster.  Showing remorse doesn't mean anything. A man might show remorse after beating his wife to death. It makes him no less a monster. The day might come when Butter's or someone isn't there.  And then what? And this isn't the first instance of Harry going into a killing rage.

A true monster in my opinion is a psychopath and or sociopath, Harry is neither.  A monster wouldn't have demanded that the people hurt and killed in the battle be compensated.  People lose their tempers all of the time, that doesn't make them monsters.  We tend to cut Rudolph a bit of slack for killing Murphy because he was paranoid, scared shitless, and totally careless.  Yet, many aren't willing to cut Harry a bit of slack, react, yes, but with merely a flood of grief, not violent retaliation.. That makes him a monster some seem to think, but left out in that scenario is the kind of pressure Harry was under at that moment,people were dying left right and center and he couldn't do much about it, then Murphy was killed before his eyes, he snapped, everyone has their breaking point.  Sanya and Butters know this, if they thought for one moment that he was a monster, they would have dispatched him, the Sword would have instead of a mere slap on the wrist in the form of a burn to bring him back to the job at hand.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2021, 01:17:00 AM »
It has nothing to do with cutting anybody any slack.  The sword hurt him not because he was a monster.  It hurt him because the act was evil. Frankenstein was a monster but he was not evil in an classic sense.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2021, 11:00:42 AM »
It has nothing to do with cutting anybody any slack.  The sword hurt him not because he was a monster.  It hurt him because the act was evil. Frankenstein was a monster but he was not evil in an classic sense.

No, if he were a monster, the sword would have cut off his arm.. It didn't.  Earlier in Peace Talks Harry didn't feel anything from the blade during that practice session with Michael and Butters.  If Harry were a monster it would have burned him then, it didn't.  The Sword acted like a shock collar, it zapped him good, it brought him back to reality, he stopped, a monster wouldn't have.  In the classic sense, angels are monsters, so what does that prove?  Frankenstein's Monster was not evil in the classic sense either, he was considered "unnatural."

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2021, 07:30:33 PM »
I've said it before and I will no doubt say it again: I believe the shock of Murphy's sudden depth slipped Harry's control over the Winter Knight mantle, demonstrated in text by the parallel with when he gave it its head in Cold Days, and the burn from the Faithsabre was to allow him to reassert his free will/mastery over the mantle. The burn wouldn't stop him from killing Rudolph, but it would shift it to him killing Rudolph, instead of the meat suit being piloted by the id-machine Winter Mantle.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2021, 08:33:02 PM »
I've said it before and I will no doubt say it again: I believe the shock of Murphy's sudden depth slipped Harry's control over the Winter Knight mantle, demonstrated in text by the parallel with when he gave it its head in Cold Days, and the burn from the Faithsabre was to allow him to reassert his free will/mastery over the mantle. The burn wouldn't stop him from killing Rudolph, but it would shift it to him killing Rudolph, instead of the meat suit being piloted by the id-machine Winter Mantle.

Pretty much, the pressure and shocks that Harry had been under and received the the days leading up to witnessing Murphy's death at the hands of Rudolph sent Harry over the edge.  For a few minutes he was sent into a mindless rage, all he wanted to do was react and kill the one who killed his love.  The Sword burn was like getting ice water thrown into his face, the shock of it brought him back to himself and reset his brain..  Everyone loses it sometimes, Eb lost it when he was fighting Harry with almost tragic results, that reset Eb's brain and he reacted with the same shame as Harry, both know they should never lose control, but enough emotion, enough pressure, it happens.  Both Eb and Harry are basically good people, they are not monsters