Author Topic: The Castle  (Read 1653 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The Castle
« on: August 23, 2021, 10:44:32 PM »
I have a guess for the Castle
Dolorous Gard
And a guess for the tower on Demonreach.
In still another telling, in a nonviolent scene taking place under a blooming hawthorn, Merlin is betrayed and placed inside an invisible and indestructible tower, but then she(Niniane, Merlin's great love) comes to him every day or night (a motif reminiscent of Ganieda's visits of Merlin's house in an earlier version of Merlin's life as described by Geoffrey in Vita Merlini[14]).
I don't know that I buy into this, But it was weird seeing the name Gard. But this would make Mab the Lady Of the Lake.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The Castle
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:56:21 PM »
Both as good a guess as any.

Mab could either be Nimue/Viviane/Niniane or Morganna. She did end up with Morganna's Athame. But she has enough tying her to both that we need more information to break the tie.

I like the Dolorous Gard reference. Not sure that it is to do with Gard herself or that it is Harry's new home. But it could be!

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 03:36:49 AM »
Assuming Jim is running the legend I'll back that with odds since Korg asks Mab if Merlin would still love her as she was. If he isn't it's anybodies guess.

The name Gard is funny for the Chooser of the Dead. It appears to be French.  But what do I know.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 01:33:29 PM »
Assuming Jim is running the legend I'll back that with odds since Korg asks Mab if Merlin would still love her as she was. If he isn't it's anybodies guess.

The name Gard is funny for the Chooser of the Dead. It appears to be French.  But what do I know.
Yeah, I don't think that is her real name, Odin goes by several names there is no reason why she shouldn't either.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 02:09:47 PM »
The legend comes in so many flavors that almost anything is possible.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 06:29:54 AM »
There are legends that also have Morgana as the lover as well as student of Merlin. We don't have enough yet to make a call unless we've missed some clues, which is certainly possible.

It's hard to know what would influence Jim more - the older tales or the newer adaptations. He's often said he's more partial to the newer stuff yet he just as often picks more obscure legends and older tales (like Ethniu) which makes me think it could be some intentional misdirection on his part.

I don't think we will know until the BAT sadly.

Offline Ed0517

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 03:29:41 AM »

There is a Gard in France around Nimes, but it's also in old Norse. An enclosure. What do you think the Aesir's gard is? Asgard?

I don't think Chooser of the Slain is her personally, I think it likely refers to all Valkyries. And slain, not simply dead - the warriors who fall in battle. And if she had choices... had to hurt like Hell to choose Hendricks.