Author Topic: So When Maeve Died, What Happened to.....  (Read 6265 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
So When Maeve Died, What Happened to.....
« on: August 16, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »

Nemesis?  I mean we know what happened to the mantle, it entered Molly.. Did Nemesis also enter Molly even though it isn't apparent right now?  Could this be the real reason why Mab ordered Harry to kill Molly if something happened to her?  Because of Mab dies, Nemesis would come forward and take full advantage.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: So When Maeve Died, What Happened to.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 12:51:18 AM »
Good question,but wouldn't Mab put her on ice like she did Lea if that were the case and she knew?

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 02:03:54 AM »
If this had happened, reality already would not be a thing. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 05:23:08 AM »

Or can someone be infected but not possessed?  Maeve, infected..  Justine possessed..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 10:23:34 AM »

Or can someone be infected but not possessed?  Maeve, infected..  Justine possessed..
I think it works very much like a denarian in that respect. It can influence, talk to you and negotiate or it can just take over.

But what differs is that it does not even have to tell you it is there and it can just influence you. Aurora did not know but was not taken over.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 11:41:34 AM »
When Maeve died the Nemesis connection was broken.  He isn't a Mantle or a body jumper like Corpsetaker and has his own corporeal existence.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
When Maeve died the Nemesis connection was broken.  He isn't a Mantle or a body jumper like Corpsetaker and has his own corporeal existence.

But was she actually possessed?  Infected and insane but possessed?  I still think that is unclear and that is why Mab wanted Molly killed if something happened to her.  That is the only thing that makes sense..  Because while Molly might not run the Winter Court as Mab would, she has demonstrated that she'd do her part to protect it and the rest of the world and would with Harry's help.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 01:36:36 PM »
Mab told you about love.
“Everyone,” she said, “thinks that hate and love are somehow opposite forces. They are not. They are the same force, facing opposite directions.”

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 394). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Given control over Harry what do you think Molly would do? And how do you think Harry would respond? Jim has always teased that Molly could go off the rails.  I think there is very little doubt left that it is his plan to have her do precisely that.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 01:58:22 PM »
Mab told you about love. Given control over Harry what do you think Molly would do? And how do you think Harry would respond? Jim has always teased that Molly could go off the rails.  I think there is very little doubt left that it is his plan to have her do precisely that.

But basically she has control over Harry now as his Lady.. No, I think there is more to it than that, also Mab has to know that is an order that Harry wouldn't obey unless she really got down to basics as to why he should.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 06:10:28 PM »
No she doesn't, not as long as Mab lives. Mab can stop her in her tracks by the simple expedient of telling her no. And she told him why.  It really couldn't be more explicit.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 08:23:36 PM »
No she doesn't, not as long as Mab lives. Mab can stop her in her tracks by the simple expedient of telling her no. And she told him why.  It really couldn't be more explicit.

Was it?  I think she was rather vague beyond it wouldn't be good, but that can come down to a point of view.  I also think that Mab should know Harry well enough by now that if he thought Molly was going to real harm he wouldn't exactly obey her either, he'd do it his way.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 09:45:03 PM »
Why, in the heat of a fight would Mab take the time to tell him that?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »
Why, in the heat of a fight would Mab take the time to tell him that?

Who knows, it's Mab after all... Another question would be why wasn't Harry more upset about
her suggestion?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 02:11:39 AM »
“Should I fall, I have one last command you would be wise to fulfill.” I tilted my head. “Kill Molly Carpenter,” she said calmly. “As quickly as possible.” “Funny,” I said. Mab stared at me. Of course. She hadn’t been joking. On a normal day, I would have been more upset. Today already hurt so much that I hardly noticed. Mab wanted me to kill someone. She usually did. It was sort of my job description. I frowned dully at her. “Why?”

As Winter Lady, she shows promise,” Mab said. “But she is not ready to become Mab. The consequences would be . . . unsettling. For both of you. Perhaps for all of Winter.” I tried to think of the kind of situation that would unsettle Mab. My mind shied away from it.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (pp. 219-220). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
I realize that you disagree with me, but this passage speaks Jim's purpose to me.  It answers your question. So put yourself in Harry's shoes and answer the question that Harry asks.  What would unsettle Mab? Harry knows, he just doesn't want to consider it.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 03:41:44 AM »
Nemesis?  I mean we know what happened to the mantle, it entered Molly.. Did Nemesis also enter Molly even though it isn't apparent right now?  Could this be the real reason why Mab ordered Harry to kill Molly if something happened to her?  Because of Mab dies, Nemesis would come forward and take full advantage.

I think the Mantle is unalterable.  Meaning that Nemesis couldn't latch on to it.  So It's connection was lost when Maeve died. 

I think that Mab knows that there is too much humanity left in Molly.  She needs Molly to give herself to the Mantle, completely.  A Winter Lady that's conflicted is tolerable, a Winter Queen is not.  The Queen must be laser focused on the mission at hand.  The mission to protect the Out Gates at any cost. 

Remember that Molly loves Harry.  Mab does not.  She see's Harry as a weapon, and my guess is a disposable weapon that isn't supposed to survive past the Stars and Stones.  Molly might not have what it takes to sacrifice Harry the same way Mab will do it without hesitation.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.