Author Topic: Carlos in Infected  (Read 3096 times)

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Carlos in Infected
« on: July 11, 2021, 07:28:09 PM »
I was recently thinking about what characters have been acting strangely, and Carlos came to mind. Throughout PT and BG, he was suspicious and argumentative toward Harry. Is it understandable why he was angry and frustrated? Yes, however, does it fit his character? I'm not sure. We know that Nemesis lost a high-level assent in the Council during TC (Peabody) and that Carlos is a rising star among the Council (both in the Warden faction and in the younger generation). Due to Carlos's increasing popularity, it makes sense why Nemesis would want him. Nemesis then used Carlos to push Harry away from him and the Council as a whole, making him more isolated and easier to kill or manipulate.

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos in Infected
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 08:25:02 PM »
Maybe you're right, but Carlos's actions also make sense if he is not infected but hurt by Harry's repeated lack of trust in him and his experience with Molly. As far back as White Knight we've seen him express doubts, and really, who can blame him?

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:53:02 PM »
How did Carlos get injured? Was it because Molly beat his ass?

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:03:15 PM »
How did Carlos get injured? Was it because Molly beat his ass?

It was in Cold Case. Molly tried to bang Carlos and the mantel protected Molly's purity (because the Lady cannot have a child). Carlos almost died.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 02:41:16 AM »
Possible, but if character changes end up written as 'because Nemesis' too often, it's going to get predictable.

Turning him adversarial as a consequence of Harry not investing enough trust and effort in maintaining a friendship makes more sense. From the way PT was written, Harry doesn't seem to have checked in with him after getting off the island.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 02:43:02 PM »
Harry constantly threatened Carlos with Molly/what happened.

Harry didn't know that, but Carlos clearly reacts.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 03:59:31 PM »
Possible, but if character changes end up written as 'because Nemesis' too often, it's going to get predictable.

Turning him adversarial as a consequence of Harry not investing enough trust and effort in maintaining a friendship makes more sense. From the way PT was written, Harry doesn't seem to have checked in with him after getting off the island.

I agree the infected with Nemesis thing can become too predictable, but more predictable these days it the star born gig..  Everyone and his uncle these days seem to be star born, especially if they are extra nasty or powerful.. I wouldn't be shocked if the word got out that Marcone was yet another star born..

I don't know if Carlos and Harry were all that close before Changes in the first place.  Yeah, friends for sure but I don't remember them just hanging out at Mac's place for an ale for example.  Yes, missions together for sure, yes, they commanded North America together, but not close buds..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 06:11:23 PM by Mira »

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
They seemed pretty friendly when teaching kids at Camp Kaboom--then again, Harry behaved in a rather appalling way there, so....

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 06:59:14 PM »
They seemed pretty friendly when teaching kids at Camp Kaboom--then again, Harry behaved in a rather appalling way there, so....

He did, but then again he had just witness the ghouls capturing and eating several sixteen year old kids that he had been teaching.  I don't know that Carlos would have acted too differently had he been first on the scene. Harry was also under the influence of Lasciel at that point, but Carlos would have no way of knowing that.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2021, 07:41:33 PM »

I doubt the guy who's been making a necklace of teeth taken from his kills in the war was all that bothered.

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2021, 08:41:40 PM »
He was kinda shocked at the example Harry was setting for the students, if nothing else. And someone who can make a necklace of his enemies' teeth might be susceptible to being pushed into anger and bitterness at a perceived betrayal.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 01:09:09 AM »
He was kinda shocked at the example Harry was setting for the students, if nothing else. And someone who can make a necklace of his enemies' teeth might be susceptible to being pushed into anger and bitterness at a perceived betrayal.

All that says is Carlos is human, and as far as that goes, so is Harry.  Back in the Camp Kaboom days they were at war, a pretty ugly war, in wars ugly things sometimes happen..

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2021, 02:58:42 AM »
It is said repeated throughout the books that Carlos and Harry were friends, and they shared some very bad experiences together, forging their friendship in blood (thinking Dead Beat fights, Camp Kaboom, and Raith Deeps, just to name a few). Additionally, in PT Carlos, appears to be sad and angry when Harry won't let him in what's really going on. To me, his reaction to Harry's unwillingness to share information really shows how much he feels betrayed by Harry's apparent lack of trust. However, as my OP discussed, this could just be a sign of Nemesis's frustration that it cannot figure out Harry's plan and thus the best way to combat it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »
It is said repeated throughout the books that Carlos and Harry were friends, and they shared some very bad experiences together, forging their friendship in blood (thinking Dead Beat fights, Camp Kaboom, and Raith Deeps, just to name a few). Additionally, in PT Carlos, appears to be sad and angry when Harry won't let him in what's really going on. To me, his reaction to Harry's unwillingness to share information really shows how much he feels betrayed by Harry's apparent lack of trust. However, as my OP discussed, this could just be a sign of Nemesis's frustration that it cannot figure out Harry's plan and thus the best way to combat it.

But trust is a two way street isn't it?  I mean since he secretly put a tracking device on Harry, was Carlos sad because his friend didn't clue him in?  Or frustrated because he was fishing for information for someone and came up empty?  He didn't put that tracking device on Harry on his own.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 05:11:37 AM »
Him being Infected would make sense.  Perhaps he was attempting to Infect Molly when he got beat down. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.