Author Topic: I wonder how long Raith has had his protection.  (Read 3255 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
I wonder how long Raith has had his protection.
« on: June 19, 2021, 02:32:26 AM »
Neither Eb, nor Harry could touch Raith with magic.  It was like it just slipped off of him.  Maggie on the other hand cut his privates of (in a sense).  She hit him where it hurts most.  His ability to have pleasure, both physical, and his love of controlling women.  She destroyed him.  Now either she targeted him in a different way than Eb hadn't thought of, had help (from Leah), or Raith didn't get that magical protection until after he got neutered.  He may have made a deal with a certain Outsider, demon, or Drakul for some sort of protection..  The red gem he had maybe?

So anyways do you think he's had that protection for a long time, and Maggie got him regardless, or do you think it was after she hit him that he got it?  Maybe Nemesis took advantage of his weakness, and fear to get a foothold in reality.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder how long Raith has had his protection.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 03:23:59 AM »
I assume before, because Maggie had to do something clever and indirect instead of overtly destructive. She probably knew what she was getting around.

Seeing as it's powered by anchoring to her two sons, I wonder if her clever trick was that one of the batteries was Lord Raith's son and the other was a latent Starborn. It would make a degree of sense, especially if the sponsor was indeed an Outsider. It would be interesting to see if Harry can tag Lord Raith directly now that he's (mostly?) activated as a Starborn, and Eb's reaction if so.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 05:41:33 AM »
I don't think Raith bothers with protection, he's had like, a bunch of kids despite being a White Court vampire after all.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 06:03:59 AM »
I assume before, because Maggie had to do something clever and indirect instead of overtly destructive. She probably knew what she was getting around.

Seeing as it's powered by anchoring to her two sons, I wonder if her clever trick was that one of the batteries was Lord Raith's son and the other was a latent Starborn. It would make a degree of sense, especially if the sponsor was indeed an Outsider. It would be interesting to see if Harry can tag Lord Raith directly now that he's (mostly?) activated as a Starborn, and Eb's reaction if so.

Maybe but Jim made it sound like she did what she did with purpose..  Said if she had killed him, the White Court would have replaced him while she basically sandbagged them for over 30 years...  Before it happened they were growing in power (much like now that Lara has taken over), but after her curse, they stagnated.  He focused on defense instead of expansion..
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 07:06:43 AM »
Maybe but Jim made it sound like she did what she did with purpose..  Said if she had killed him, the White Court would have replaced him while she basically sandbagged them for over 30 years...  Before it happened they were growing in power (much like now that Lara has taken over), but after her curse, they stagnated.  He focused on defense instead of expansion..
I have read that woj. Jim did not talk about Margaret’s purpose with the curse, he talked about the effect it had. It might have been the same but it does not have to be.

Margaret lived with him for some time and had time to study him. She probably could not kill him with her death curse directly and she knew.

She went for what she could do. But she might have seen that it was the best option as well to protect Thomas.

And also it made him suffer. That too. Far more than just killing him.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
I have read that woj. Jim did not talk about Margaret’s purpose with the curse, he talked about the effect it had. It might have been the same but it does not have to be.

Margaret lived with him for some time and had time to study him. She probably could not kill him with her death curse directly and she knew.

She went for what she could do. But she might have seen that it was the best option as well to protect Thomas.

And also it made him suffer. That too. Far more than just killing him.

I also don't totally buy that it was a death curse.  Or if it was, it was thought out and set up to be triggered by her death, so an indirect death curse.  Or she may have set it up so that if he killed Thomas in his anger at her after she left, it would still trigger.  Because it is rather cold that she'd leave her son when she went off with Malcolm.  Raith had to have known she would have thrown her cruse at him when he killed her, and apparently he thought he was immune to that, but whatever she did, it was effective and caught him totally by surprise. 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 10:09:44 AM »
I mean from what's been hinted at about Mama Dresden, her being a cold hard bitch isn't much if a surprise- and even if it was, I don't think that you can really fault her for leaving Thomas behind, after all that escape would have been difficult enough without a toddler under one arm.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 10:12:27 AM »
I also don't totally buy that it was a death curse.  Or if it was, it was thought out and set up to be triggered by her death, so an indirect death curse.  Or she may have set it up so that if he killed Thomas in his anger at her after she left, it would still trigger.  Because it is rather cold that she'd leave her son when she went off with Malcolm.  Raith had to have known she would have thrown her cruse at him when he killed her, and apparently he thought he was immune to that, but whatever she did, it was effective and caught him totally by surprise.
Jim said it was Margaret’s dead curse so in his view it was. She might have done some prep work though.

I do not think taking Thomas with her would have been an option, he would have become a vampire after all. I also do not think it was a cold decision either. It was what she thought was best for him.

Raith doubtlessly thought he was immune to her dead curse and he might have handled a few death curses in the past but Margaret was clever and could study him.

I am still not sure Margaret met Malcolm before she left. We do not have a clear time table here. I always thought they met shortly after.

But that depends also on how much freedom of movement she had when she was in Raiths power. Could she meet people?

I mean from what's been hinted at about Mama Dresden, her being a cold hard bitch isn't much if a surprise- and even if it was, I don't think that you can really fault her for leaving Thomas behind, after all that escape would have been difficult enough without a toddler under one arm.
Actually from what we know about her relatives and what we hear from people Margaret being overly emotional is just as likely.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2021, 10:36:33 AM »
True to an extent, but from what we know of the crowd she ran with, she'd have needed to be a pretty hard person.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 11:00:02 AM »
True to an extent, but from what we know of the crowd she ran with, she'd have needed to be a pretty hard person.
Oh crap, I feel another thread coming on... ::) Yeah, sort of fits with this, but on the other hand would totally hijack this one... :o

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »
A pretty explosive personality would work as well. People behave careful around her and think she is crazy. Actually making people think you are crazy enough can be a good self defence strategy. It signals you are prepared to run considerable risks for revenge.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 03:14:11 PM »
A pretty explosive personality would work as well. People behave careful around her and think she is crazy. Actually making people think you are crazy enough can be a good self defence strategy. It signals you are prepared to run considerable risks for revenge.

Or reflects on the extreme prejudice of the White Council, they tend to think that anyone who doesn't conform to their views could be a warlock or insane.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 08:40:44 PM »
I'm in the camp that says Raith made a deal with Beside for protection at a very young age, which helped him ascend to power centuries ago.

I think Maggie's curse worked because it targeted his Wamp demon and not him. I'm guessing he made the deal for protection for himself, and the demon is separate enough that it wasn't included in the umbrella because of some technicality.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2021, 09:06:21 PM »
Margaret may well have prepared a death curse...but does that make it not a death curse? Remember, what Lord Raith killed her with was an Outsider-powered curse on the level of the Barrabus curse. It just forces the universe to kill the target, and clearly Margaret didn't have time to stop it (assuming she could) or get behind any defences. Harry had to redirect the energy and it's hinted that it tainted him. Margaret was also giving birth I believe so she was a fairly vulnerable in that moment. She probably was doing all she could to shield her child.

Back to the OP -
Yes, I believe he has had it a while. Not 2000 years probably though. Maybe since Hastings. Jim said Lord Raith has been involved in the last couple of cycles of the game, so maybe just before Hastings at minimum. He learned about it and now wants to be a player and failed to be the last few times. Ebenezar also believes the reason Raith rules the White Court is likely due to his protection. Which has a huge hole as we know, his demon. The Hunger isn't protected which allowed Maggie to curse him, and allowed Lara to control him/feed from him.

I'm in the camp that says Raith made a deal with Beside for protection at a very young age, which helped him ascend to power centuries ago.

I think Maggie's curse worked because it targeted his Wamp demon and not him. I'm guessing he made the deal for protection for himself, and the demon is separate enough that it wasn't included in the umbrella because of some technicality.
Why do you think He Who Walks Beside? I assumed it was Behind if anything because that's the one he summons in Death Masks (I think).

Agree about the curse. I think that Death Masks actually says that's how Maggie made the curse stick. I suspect the reason the Hunger wasn't protected is because like all such deals, they're often never as good as they seem. Maybe the Outsider's wanted to leave a vulnerability to a potential competitor. Maybe they can't protect the Hunger at all. Impossible to say without more information.
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »
Why do you think He Who Walks Beside? I assumed it was Behind if anything because that's the one he summons in Death Masks (I think).

Agree about the curse. I think that Death Masks actually says that's how Maggie made the curse stick. I suspect the reason the Hunger wasn't protected is because like all such deals, they're often never as good as they seem. Maybe the Outsider's wanted to leave a vulnerability to a potential competitor. Maybe they can't protect the Hunger at all. Impossible to say without more information.
I asked JB on Twitter a few years back if the human body Before was using in Cold Days was what was left of Vitto Malvora after the battle in Raith Deeps. He tongue-in-cheek said it was. (The mental whammy Vitto used and the mental whammy Before used were almost identical, so it fits).

I'm not sure that Behind needs a host body. He didn't seem to have one in the Ghost Story flashback. He temporary used Marge as one to communicate in Blood Rites, but then evacuated it and hasn't been seen since.

It makes sense to me that Before and Behind both use just one body at a time, but Beside uses multiple. And what better body to use than a Wamp that thinks he's using you for protection, when he's actually unknowingly providing you with the ultimate safe body to hide in.

And Beside being "trapped" in Raith's shell gives a deeper purpose to Cowl and Vitto/Before going all out to take over the Wamps in Blood Rites. They were basically trying to free him (assuming he was trapped in the body and couldn't leave due to the nature of the deal with Raith).