Author Topic: Uriels previous wars?  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Uriels previous wars?
« on: June 03, 2021, 02:42:28 PM »
So in Skin Game Uriel says he's been fighting wars since before the Earth was a gascious substance... makes you wonder what wars he was fighting.

Outsiders and Cthuhlu are the obvious choices... I kinda want him to have fought extraterrestrials as well.

Primordial gods would make sense as well.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Uriels previous wars?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 02:52:03 PM »
So in Skin Game Uriel says he's been fighting wars since before the Earth was a gascious substance... makes you wonder what wars he was fighting.

Outsiders and Cthuhlu are the obvious choices... I kinda want him to have fought extraterrestrials as well.

Primordial gods would make sense as well.

The Old Testament is full of wars that I am sure he participated in, one way or another, direct or indirect..  And yes, I wouldn't discount wars in galaxies far, far, away.. ::)

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 03:39:09 PM »
The Old Testament is full of wars that I am sure he participated in, one way or another, direct or indirect.. 

Yes, but that was after the Earth was formed.  He was speaking of before that.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 03:53:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was indirect unless the Outsiders are separated from our WG

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »
Yes, but that was after the Earth was formed.  He was speaking of before that.

When was Lucifer's rebellion? He had clearly been cast out by the time of the Garden. That's one for sure.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »
Or he fought them before he became Uriel
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 07:47:34 PM »
If I had to guess I'd say either:

1.  The Rebellion
2.  The Outsiders
3.  Titans/gods from other Pantheons

It's possible that every other Pantheon of beliefs has Beings that have always existed, but it was TWG and His Angels that won out as the ultimate rulers of reality. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 11:15:05 PM »
If I had to guess I'd say either:

1.  The Rebellion
2.  The Outsiders
3.  Titans/gods from other Pantheons

It's possible that every other Pantheon of beliefs has Beings that have always existed, but it was TWG and His Angels that won out as the ultimate rulers of reality. 
This seems fairly accurate, although I am not sure about the order of events. Jim said that Lucifer's shenanigans at the beginning of Creation caused all sorts of problems which partly contributed to why the Gods of various religions have differing Creation accounts. I also seem to remember something about how the Outsiders were very upset when Creation happened because it was so loud an noisy. If I had to guess I'd say it goes - Outsider/Old One war, War in Heaven, Titan/gods war.

Or he fought them before he became Uriel
Can you elaborate on this?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 02:11:09 AM »
Can you elaborate on this?
We have seen in Skin Game that Uriel’s grace has some things in common with mantles. What would have happened if Uriel without grace had died?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 02:44:19 AM »
We have seen in Skin Game that Uriel’s grace has some things in common with mantles. What would have happened if Uriel without grace had died?
Is your theory that Uriel wasn't always Uriel? That someone else might have once held that role?

I'll allow that certainly is possible. But do you have any further theories on who or what once held that mantle? Anything from the text or WOJ to indicate that idea? I grant you it's an intriguing idea. But I don't know that I have seen anything to hint to that actually having happened, despite the fact that perhaps it could. Not trying to sound harsh here, I hope that's clear.  :)

It's just a very unusual idea. The only thing I have found is an old post about a WOJ (that I cannot actually find) that said that Uriel might simply believe himself to be a being called Uriel who is an Archangel, not that he is. Something to do with how human belief makes that possible.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 07:18:33 AM »
Anduriel was the previous Uriel it's all in the name which we know is Important because uriel freaked when called Uri by Harry. Lash also mentions Harry Naming thing.

Anduriel means literally Anti-Uriel

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 10:06:22 AM »
The world would have had to deal with two Archangels named Michael, it would have been awkward.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 12:12:23 PM »
The world would have had to deal with two Archangels named Michael, it would have been awkward.
Or or Michael would take the name Uriel with the mantle Grace.

Mantle and grace look similar but we do not know exactly what the differences and similarities are. However how Uriel manifests on this world and what he can do has a lot to do with the stories told and is probably dependent on who interacts with him from what culture.

So I think there is a possibility we had earlier Uriel's. Uriel himself as a name used for interaction with mortals is relatively new and the story of what (arch) angels are is also relatively new, say a few thousand years. And it changes continuously.

Even the white god himself could be in his second or third bearer. His power as manifested on this earth certainly fluctuated but he had probably also other mantles.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2021, 04:16:35 AM »

I suspect it would be the opposite.  Uriel's grace would swallow him much like anyone who became Mab would eventually lose all their humanity and become just like the previous Mab.

Michael would cease to exist, and Uriel would be back, but there would be this tiny piece of Michael there.  Michael's soul would be like a grain of sand on the beach that is Uriel. 

Or or Michael would take the name Uriel with the mantle Grace.

here is what I think the difference is.  A Mantle is constructed while the Grace has always been.  Kind of like when Harry compared Mab to HWWBefore...  The Grace is much deeper, real, while a Mantle is a cheap knockoff by comparison.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 04:19:11 AM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 07:25:00 AM »
I suspect it would be the opposite.  Uriel's grace would swallow him much like anyone who became Mab would eventually lose all their humanity and become just like the previous Mab.

Michael would cease to exist, and Uriel would be back, but there would be this tiny piece of Michael there.  Michael's soul would be like a grain of sand on the beach that is Uriel. 

here is what I think the difference is.  A Mantle is constructed while the Grace has always been.  Kind of like when Harry compared Mab to HWWBefore...  The Grace is much deeper, real, while a Mantle is a cheap knockoff by comparison.
Mantles come in various shapes and sizes but we mainly have seen weaker mantles and one extremely strong grace so that makes comparison difficult.
SH[Elaine+++]