Author Topic: Time for an Update  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Time for an Update
« on: May 31, 2021, 06:50:05 PM »
It's been almost 11 months since Peace Talks was released, which means it's been over a year since Jim was actively working on a new book (battle ground was originally part of PT)

I for one would like to know how he's doing on the book after "The Aeronaught's Windlass" and if he's even started on sketching out the next DF book

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Time for an Update
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 10:13:29 PM »
Me too. And it has been 5 months without any update on the website. I hope there will be some information soon.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 02:18:43 AM »
Did Jim say sometime that he was hoping for one new book a year? (might be confusing authors with this one)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 08:01:54 AM »
Jim just doesn't do Twitter very much any longer, which isn't all bad because it can be a real time waster.  I thought if Jim was doing DragonCon this year he might make an announcement or at least a progress report, but as far as I can tell Jim isn't making any personal appearances this year.  Again, not a bad thing because it means fewer distractions, but it does leave us without any sources of information.  Even Jim's official website hasn't had anything new to say since near the end of 2020.

Personally, I'm reading a lot of nonfiction books I have long wanted to tackle and I'm looking forward to the final Alex Verus novel this December.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
Jim just doesn't do Twitter very much any longer, which isn't all bad because it can be a real time waster.  I thought if Jim was doing DragonCon this year he might make an announcement or at least a progress report, but as far as I can tell Jim isn't making any personal appearances this year.  Again, not a bad thing because it means fewer distractions, but it does leave us without any sources of information.  Even Jim's official website hasn't had anything new to say since near the end of 2020.

Personally, I'm reading a lot of nonfiction books I have long wanted to tackle and I'm looking forward to the final Alex Verus novel this December.

While I am sure there are others, I don't go on Twitter, but I remember the firestorm he set off when he Tweeted, he had just finished writing Murphy's funeral.  Turns out, he did kill her off, but for me the funeral itself was a disappointment.  So maybe he has decided it isn't worth it?  Yeah, I've been going through a huge stack of books, fiction, nonfiction, rereading some favorites as well as new stuff.

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:03:07 PM »
It would be nice to get some sort of update. I really liked Aeronaught's Windlass, and I'm looking forward to the next book in that series. I'm also obviously looking forward to the next Dresden book.

It's kind of pathetic that there is nothing at all in the news section of his website since December 2020. It's been over 5 months, as someone noted. That's an awful long time with no updates at all. It makes me wonder if he's even writing.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 11:00:13 PM »
He's not our monkey to have dance for us. We're his monkey's. The man will get it to us when he gets it to us. Remember, he's writing two books simultaneously. He's said he's writing Twelve Months over the next year, taking it bit by bit each month, and also the next Aeronauts book. Give the man some space.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 01:50:36 AM »
He's not our monkey to have dance for us. We're his monkey's. The man will get it to us when he gets it to us. Remember, he's writing two books simultaneously. He's said he's writing Twelve Months over the next year, taking it bit by bit each month, and also the next Aeronauts book. Give the man some space.
Speak for yourself,  I am no mans monkey.;) I'm not concerned that he isn't communicating. But people will talk.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 03:42:49 AM »

I guess I missed that detail, that Jim's splitting his writing time on both books.  It will be interesting to (eventually) hear how well that works for him.  Does Jim feel it makes his writing experience more fresh or go faster?  We'll have to wait and see. 

However, I don't believe anyone here is metaphorically yelling "dance monkey dance" at Jim.  Also, we are not his monkeys either.  At any time, anyone can decide to stop reading the series.  Jim is free to write his stories anyway he prefers and we are free to purchase and read his work or not do so at all.  I think Mab would consider the scales to be balanced.         
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2021, 06:50:15 AM »
I guess I missed that detail, that Jim's splitting his writing time on both books.  It will be interesting to (eventually) hear how well that works for him.  Does Jim feel it makes his writing experience more fresh or go faster?  We'll have to wait and see. 

However, I don't believe anyone here is metaphorically yelling "dance monkey dance" at Jim.  Also, we are not his monkeys either.  At any time, anyone can decide to stop reading the series.  Jim is free to write his stories anyway he prefers and we are free to purchase and read his work or not do so at all.  I think Mab would consider the scales to be balanced.         
Yeah that's his process, by the time he's done writing a Dresden Files novel he's sick of being in Harry's head so he goes to write a third person novel (Cinder Spires now) and play with all the new options there and then by the end of that he's worn out from dealing with all the extra options and longing for something simpler like being in Harry's head.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2021, 06:28:13 PM »
I haven't been following on here (the boards) as much lately, but it crossed my mind that I hadn't heard anything from/about Jim in quite awhile, and was going to post how much I missed the weekly Dresden drops we were spoiled with last year.  Hopefully all this quiet is a good sign that whatever he's working on is progressing nicely!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 07:50:13 PM »
I am grateful for everything I get but periods of silence are to be expected and unless he makes a special commitment nothing to complain about.

If you want a regular weekly update Benedict Jacks updates his blog every Friday. It is actually superhuman how on schedule his blog posts are.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 08:00:34 PM »
I'm sure he's hard at work.

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 11:28:02 PM »
Guys, I don't want to discuss this too much but it seems like Jim is going through another personal crisis.

I feel very sorry for him. I don't know too many details but there is a rumour, and I stress that it is a rumour as it hasn't been confirmed by Jim or anyone else (that I can see), that he is unfortunately going through his second divorce. I don't know the reasons and it's not our business. 

I am sure this is a very difficult time for Jim, assuming the rumours are true. Let's try and be as respectful and supportive as we can.

Try not to let it worry you. He will get back to writing eventually. But he is a human being after all and he needs time to heal.