Author Topic: Harry and NAMES  (Read 4179 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Harry and NAMES
« on: May 22, 2021, 02:15:57 AM »
Anyone have thoughts of Harry naming beings and, thereby, having power/influence over them?

General Toot-Toot---He seems to be growing each time Harry sees him. (And he gets new title from Harry.)
Lasciel (Lash)--Harry doesn't give in to the coin and Lasciel's shadow becomes Lash.
Uriel (Uri--He was advised not to do that)
The Nickelheads (Denarians)
Octakongs (Fomor creatures--don't think this one qualifies, but...)

Anyway---Hope you are well. I do enjoy reading through all your thoughts and musings.

Cheers---Brien

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Harry and NAMES
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 02:31:00 AM »
Wasn't this covered in another post?

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 03:50:45 AM »
Possibly, but I can't find it.

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 03:56:54 AM »
I'll look. Thought they had some good info

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 04:51:43 AM »
Anyone have thoughts of Harry naming beings and, thereby, having power/influence over them?

General Toot-Toot---He seems to be growing each time Harry sees him. (And he gets new title from Harry.)
Lasciel (Lash)--Harry doesn't give in to the coin and Lasciel's shadow becomes Lash.
Uriel (Uri--He was advised not to do that)
The Nickelheads (Denarians)
Octakongs (Fomor creatures--don't think this one qualifies, but...)

Anyway---Hope you are well. I do enjoy reading through all your thoughts and musings.

Cheers---Brien

Also for the record it goes both ways according to Jim.  It's a direct line to one another, so creating it isn't without some risk.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 12:32:51 PM »
Also for the record it goes both ways according to Jim.  It's a direct line to one another, so creating it isn't without some risk.

Yup, and there are a few folks calling Harry names, so far it has been limited, HWWB called him, "Child of the Stars," there might have been others, cannot remember at the moment, but watch out if someone starts calling him, "Destroyer" on a regular basis...

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
Not everything is a name. Nicknames and descriptions do not count.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

Don't they?  "Lash," was merely a nick name, and we saw what happened... Now was it or was it not because Harry gave her a nickname?  Uriel objected to the nickname, "Uri," because of it's meaning, but Harry merely saw it as a nickname, and called him that without thinking. When Uriel called him on it, he did change it to "Mr Sunshine, but yes, apparently nicknames can and do count.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 04:27:56 PM »
But with the fae it is quite normal to call them with something that is not their real name. Toot and Lacuna are not their real names and the erlking is a title.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
I guess it depends on how involved that nickname is and how much it's used and how much is reference and how much people believe in that nickname

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 05:10:24 PM »
But with the fae it is quite normal to call them with something that is not their real name. Toot and Lacuna are not their real names and the erlking is a title.

That may be, but then again Toot has changed, hasn't he.  I don't think Lacuna has a nickname as of yet.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 05:14:13 PM »
That may be, but then again Toot has changed, hasn't he.  I don't think Lacuna has a nickname as of yet.
It definitely is not her real name:

(click to show/hide)
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 05:23:43 PM »
It definitely is not her real name:

(click to show/hide)

What we are talking about are the beings that Harry has given a nickname to.  In the case of Lacuna, someone else gave her that name, remains to be seen if that had changed her in the past.  It could be her real name is say, Whoopie and she started out loving pizza just like Toot.. But with the nickname, she became a health nut..  Harry hasn't given her a nickname.. It would be interesting if it turns out that it was Elaine, when she was hiding out in the Summer Court that gave Lacuna the name she now answers to.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2021, 05:50:45 PM »
It is in the core of her being. She wants everyone to have healthy teeth.

We see it with toot as well. Everyone can hear him saying toot but when he summons toot he keeps his real name secret.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2021, 06:42:25 PM »

Uriel would disagree...  He didn't care for Harry's Nickname
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.