Author Topic: Erlking's purpose?  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Erlking's purpose?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »
Looking at the Lore of the Wild Hunt it's an honour as well as a curse everyone from Kin Arthur Pendragon to Sir Francis Drake wee said to be a part of it. Theirs even an infamous dodgy socttish lawyer somewhere. I'm not quite sure if it fits with Dresden Files Fae heavy interpretation of it, but the Wild Hunt was full of the most dangerous spirits of voilence and leadership.

In some versions they even have hounds from hell or Heckhounds as they're known in Dresdenverse. But their point was too hunt down the demons and escaped souls from Hell, usually on times when the barrier between spirit world and real world are at it's weakest. The Equinoxes or Samahin, All Hallows eve etc.

So if using the folklore surrounding it Erlking is the stable Leader of the Wild Hunt when all the other leaders tend to rotate in and out. He keeps them more or less undercontrol for the rest of the year and unleashes them once or twice a year at most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2021, 03:40:18 PM »
Looking at the Lore of the Wild Hunt it's an honour as well as a curse everyone from Kin Arthur Pendragon to Sir Francis Drake wee said to be a part of it. Theirs even an infamous dodgy socttish lawyer somewhere. I'm not quite sure if it fits with Dresden Files Fae heavy interpretation of it, but the Wild Hunt was full of the most dangerous spirits of voilence and leadership.

In some versions they even have hounds from hell or Heckhounds as they're known in Dresdenverse. But their point was too hunt down the demons and escaped souls from Hell, usually on times when the barrier between spirit world and real world are at it's weakest. The Equinoxes or Samahin, All Hallows eve etc.

So if using the folklore surrounding it Erlking is the stable Leader of the Wild Hunt when all the other leaders tend to rotate in and out. He keeps them more or less undercontrol for the rest of the year and unleashes them once or twice a year at most.

So he provides a sense of structure to the Wyldfae that wouldn't be there otherwise plus acts as an enforcer of sorts for the natural order. Interesting.

Now I wonder who imposed the structure?
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2021, 05:50:06 PM »
I mean WOJ is Erlking rose as part of a ritual reminiscent of the Darkhallow, presumably less necromancy though.
"If he'd succeeded, he'd have had the collective power of all of those supernatural beings and then some.  He'd have been clearly stronger than the Ladies, and a full-on equal to Mab.  I mean, why do you think the Erlking was summoned as part of that ritual?  Because that's how the big E got so boss in the first place.  :)
For that matter, how do you think the Mothers and Queens and Ladies established their original base of power?  That big old sacrificial, power-sucking stone table in Tir na noth isn't there for its primitive decorative aesthetic."

And this tidbit

Actually, in the Dresden universe, the Wild Hunt can be led by a number of beings--INCLUDING Cern, but not exclusive to him.  :)  The Erlking (who isn't Cern) is a being of Faerie who is in Mab's weight division, if not her equal.  I believe he is identified as the ruler of the goblins--which should not necessarily be equated with Tolkeinesque/Gygaxesque goblins

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »
Thinking the "kings" somehow balance the queen's on another scale. They are polar opposites of their respective sides, EK being violent to the summer idea of peaceful. Kringle being a do gooder to winters malicious nature. Both kings have freedom to act, both queens are confined by their power, ect.
Off topic(more on the 4 horsemen theory)
(click to show/hide)

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 09:03:00 AM »
Below is all the WOJ on the faerie kings.

(click to show/hide)

So it changes quite a bit from 2010 to 2014, perhaps the truth in the Dresdenverse is somewhere in between.
2010 Dragon-Con @6:30
Where are the Farie kings?  Do they exist?
Yes they do.  The Erlking as sort of the Hunter king, and Santa Clause, the Winter king who is not the commercial Santa Clause.  The kings are sort of the opposite of the queens in their given season.  They are independent of their Queen’s courts.  The Erlking is a summer king and he is not a particularly friendly guy, whereas Santa Clause, one of the winter kings, is kinder, the spirit of generosity in a time of bleakness.  Yah I’ve gota have Harry ask Mab about him so she can roll her eyes.

2014 AMA
Is The Erlking a mantle in the same way as the other Fae titles? I know he’s referred to as Herne at one point in Cold Days, so that got me thinking, considering that he’s also iirc the Summer King.
There is no such thing as a Summer King in the Dresden Files faerie cosmology. Mab and Titania need a King like a fish needs a bicycle. :)
There are a ton of independent rulers of the Wyld, though, much like the Erlking, who is a member of the Winter Court more or less as a sign of courtesy and respect. They will occasionally make alliances (and dalliances) with the great rulers of the Sidhe.

Perhaps the answer is that the Erlking is a fae king related to the summer court, but not the summer king.

It did not really find anything about his function though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 09:05:16 AM by TrueMonk »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 09:38:05 AM »

Thinking on this some more, I think this is probably right. The purpose of his power as leader of the Wild Hunt, to make sure the Hunt fulfils its mission. The Hunt is clearly important to the order of things, and I think the reason you gave works as well as anything I have read.

Maybe the Erlking is Herne under the mask the same way Kringle is linked to the older sky gods?

I could see Hades or someone deciding to go have a chat. I doubt Uriel would but we still have yet to meet some other Death Gods who may be a bit cranky about a new competitor.

I hope there are some other seasonal types of Fae. May not be but I hope for it.
Possibly, possibly. I suspect the Erlking has many names. Cern, Herne, who knows what else?

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 06:57:30 PM »
Don't forget Dorf. He's the Lord of Fishing, too.

I think the Erlking represents and controls the choice inherent in the Hunt. It is mindless, he is the mind.

So the Erlking gives you your choices: Join, fight, or become prey.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 01:12:16 AM »
Not quite true, I am not saying there haven't been female Knights, but so far the Knights of the Queens have all been male.  The Knights do their bidding, including killing those that Queens are forbidden to kill.
Lili was the Summer Knight, after Ruell's assassination. When Aurora was killed she was the closest suitable vessel for fae power and became the Summer Lady. We never got to see her in action as the Summer Knight, but she had the mantle.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:10 AM »
So we get told repeatedly power has purpose. What's the Erlkings purpose for his power?

The Wild Hunt and King of the Goblins.
The Wild Hunt does exactly that. It hunts in the Never Never or in Reality, as needed. Sometimes it hunts threats to fae. Sometimes it hunts threats to reality. Like when it was taken over by Harry and used to hunt Outsiders near Demonreach.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.