Author Topic: Fun (for some) thought  (Read 2596 times)

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
Fun (for some) thought
« on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:21 PM »
So while listening absentmindedly to BR at work, I got to the part where Eb showed up with his pickup truck to pick up Harry and take him to pick up Murphy. Harry made mention of Eb's rings on his index fingers. That made me think of all the times we have had references to rings of power in the stories. We have Molly making Harry one in PT, Harry's force rings, Elaine's shield ring, Mab's present to Maggie, and Eb's rings which I like to believe he holds his fingers like a gun, index finger pointing, and mimics pulling the trigger to get  pinpoint accuracy with a force blast. But alas, we don't have any idea what his rings actually do, just ideas because of being Harry's mentor and grandfather.

So the fun idea comes in here.

Say Harry is going to get married for real. To someone who has magic (Molly, Elaine, Luccio). And say that he makes the ring himself. What do you think he does to the ring? Locator beacon, force ring, shield ring, something else entirely?

Thoughts?

I kinda think it would have a beacon to it so Harry would always know where the person is and it would stay active while the person was alive or had been taken off, being powered by the persons energy.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Fun (for some) thought
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 01:30:51 PM »

If he marries Lara, he will need one that will block White Court Vamp feedings on his emotions.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 04:27:10 PM »
Nice idea.
I don't think, he would craft anything for Lara. Except if it would be less expensive and more practical to make the rings by himself. So if he would make a ring for Lara, it would just be for tracking.
She is pretty capable of protecting herself. No need for extra powers.

For any other loved one he would make a ring he could track (he could do that anyway with any object he crafts himself, especially a wedding ring, as it is supposed to be connected to his own wedding ring) and I'd say for communication with another wizard or a force ring for a vanilla mortal.
If it is possible to do both, he would go for force and communication for vanilla mortals.

Doing anything like force or shielding would be ridiculous with another wizard or the Winter Lady IMHO, because they could do that themselves and some even better.

So for wizards he might also do a sort of amulett, to let them behind the wards of the castle.

So tracking is included anyway.

Vanilla: force and key to the castle
Wizard: communication and key to the castle
Vampire: just tracking

Though if you could do three things with the ring, I would put in communication for the vanilla, too, if it is possible to use without magic.

Edit @ Mira:
For protection from some person/monster, I don't think, it would be practical to craft something the other would wear. It would make more sense to craft something for himself i.e. any person he wants protected.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:34:07 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »
For protection from some person/monster, I don't think, it would be practical to craft something the other would wear. It would make more sense to craft something for himself i.e. any person he wants protected.

Sorry, my bad that comes from trying to read these posts with too little sleep and no coffee! :-[
I meant for Harry to craft it for himself..

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 05:52:45 PM »
Sorry, my bad that comes from trying to read these posts with too little sleep and no coffee! :-[
I meant for Harry to craft it for himself..

Yes. He could use his own ring.

... Oh my, I'm so excited about the new book, but I am afraid, even if Jim writes it fast, we will have to wait for at least 2 years. First he has to finish the second Cinder Spires book. That will make it at least 10 years to finish with all the Dresden Files, if there will be one book every 2 years.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
Yes. He could use his own ring.

... Oh my, I'm so excited about the new book, but I am afraid, even if Jim writes it fast, we will have to wait for at least 2 years. First he has to finish the second Cinder Spires book. That will make it at least 10 years to finish with all the Dresden Files, if there will be one book every 2 years.

My fear is it will take longer and I will never live to see how it all turns out.  ::)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 05:38:55 AM »
My fear is it will take longer and I will never live to see how it all turns out.  ::)

I'm wondering the same thing; especially after the ridiculously long wait for PT / BG.  I really hope that Jim can; as he said to an audience I was a part of back in 2019, streamline his writing and become more efficient.  Plus, I miss the times when Jim would post on Twitter what percentage of the expected word count he had reached on a given novel.  I would love to know how much progress he has made with next Cinder Spires book.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 10:31:22 AM »
Plus, I miss the times when Jim would post on Twitter what percentage of the expected word count he had reached on a given novel.  I would love to know how much progress he has made with next Cinder Spires book.
Yeah. Me too.
Also I have been spoiled by the weekly posts in 2020, lol. I'm no longer used to seeing nothing for months. It wouldn't have to be much. Just maybe once a month a tiny little update like "making good progress with ... The pets are fine."
  ;)
But I think I get why he is being absent. I think it is to keep himself sane and not being stressed by pressure to produce something.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »
Because Harry is very good at focusing his emotions into his spells, I'd guess it would be tied to love somehow.  Maybe some sort of protective spell he can project to his wife or any loved one.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 07:53:42 PM »

Jim's in a good place now, and I think he's going to be cranking them out at a good pace.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 11:18:27 PM »
So while listening absentmindedly to BR at work, I got to the part where Eb showed up with his pickup truck to pick up Harry and take him to pick up Murphy. Harry made mention of Eb's rings on his index fingers. That made me think of all the times we have had references to rings of power in the stories.

I hope we don't see any Rings of Power any time soon, Sauron is a little above Harry's paygrade :P
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:25:39 PM by forumghost »

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 11:55:47 PM »
I hope we don't see any Rings of Power any time soon, Sauron is a little above Harry's paygrade :P

Actually, Sauron would be a sideways step from Ethniu and the Formor in Battle Ground. Harry and his allies(Winter and Summer, the White Council and the White Court, the KotC  and the various and sundry bit players)  would have Roflol stomped the armies of Mordor but the battle to throw The Ring into the fire at the end would have been an epic free-for-all.