Author Topic: The Coins and Demonreach  (Read 4386 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Coins and Demonreach
« on: April 14, 2021, 02:40:43 PM »
Quick question: Do you believe Dresden could secure the Coins within Demonreach? Why or why not?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: The Coins and Demonreach
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 04:13:27 PM »
He can try but I think Jim will find a way to bring them into circulation again. They are supposed to be in circulation.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 05:38:56 PM »
He can try but I think Jim will find a way to bring them into circulation again. They are supposed to be in circulation.

Yeah, like Fallen Angels are out of Alfred's jurisdiction perhaps?  Then again how well do the Fallen communicate with one another?  In other words if Harry could keep it secret where the coins are kept, they may stay there for a long, long, time.  Verses either apparent corruption with in the Church allowing for them to be taken and put back into circulation, or they do communicate with others allowing for them to be stolen and put back into circulation.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 07:17:26 PM »
Yeah, like Fallen Angels are out of Alfred's jurisdiction perhaps?  Then again how well do the Fallen communicate with one another?  In other words if Harry could keep it secret where the coins are kept, they may stay there for a long, long, time.  Verses either apparent corruption with in the Church allowing for them to be taken and put back into circulation, or they do communicate with others allowing for them to be stolen and put back into circulation.
How did the fallen whisper those seven words in Harry's ear, no coin around.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 07:25:41 PM »
Quick question: Do you believe Dresden could secure the Coins within Demonreach? Why or why not?
You can't get blood from a coin so sticking them in a cell is a no-go, containment in Demonreach would be leaving them on the floor and hoping nothing bad happens. It's a lot less viable than it looked before PT.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Just Al

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 08:15:28 PM »
If I remember correctly, Niccodemus told Harry that he can summon the coins. The Church can obscure the location to some extent, but that hasn't proved very effective in the long run

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
If I remember correctly, Niccodemus told Harry that he can summon the coins. The Church can obscure the location to some extent, but that hasn't proved very effective in the long run

I think it was Lash that told him that in White Night, however Harry already had the shadow in his head, so there was a connection if Harry wanted to complete it by accepting Lasciel into his head. So on one level it was summoning the coin, but more like the holder of the coin, Lasciel, not a physical summoning of the coin itself. 

How did the fallen whisper those seven words in Harry's ear, no coin around.

I've often wondered that myself.  This is the best explanation I can come up with.  It was Lasciel who did the whispering, it was in Father Forthill's office that it happened.  It was Father Forthill who Harry called to pick up the coin after he dug it up from his basement.  It may still have been in the office, and at a short distance and given the fact her shadow had been in Harry's head, she was close enough to make the projection.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:20:50 PM »
I think it was Lash that told him that in White Night, however Harry already had the shadow in his head, so there was a connection if Harry wanted to complete it by accepting Lasciel into his head. So on one level it was summoning the coin, but more like the holder of the coin, Lasciel, not a physical summoning of the coin itself. 

I've often wondered that myself.  This is the best explanation I can come up with.  It was Lasciel who did the whispering, it was in Father Forthill's office that it happened.  It was Father Forthill who Harry called to pick up the coin after he dug it up from his basement.  It may still have been in the office, and at a short distance and given the fact her shadow had been in Harry's head, she was close enough to make the projection.

I thought that the Fallen who spoke to Harry was Anduriel, not Lasciel and he just used his basic shadow control to whisper at Harry.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 08:30:39 PM »
I thought that the Fallen who spoke to Harry was Anduriel, not Lasciel and he just used his basic shadow control to whisper at Harry.

I think it came out in Skin Game that it was Lasciel, goes along with "hell hath no fury than a scorned female."

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 01:48:07 AM »
Iirc Alfred mentioned in BG that he can only hold things that are so metaphysically 'big'. I suspect Lucifer's top hitters qualify as such.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 02:13:48 AM »

My idea is that the fallen can break the rules they normally operate under. There are consequences so they normally won’t do it but every now and then they try because they are the fallen for a reason.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 05:56:50 AM »
My idea is that the fallen can break the rules they normally operate under. There are consequences so they normally won’t do it but every now and then they try because they are the fallen for a reason.

That is why they are fallen in the first place, they broke the rules for Heaven.  Some of my favorite moments in the whole series is when the Shadow of Lasciel becoming Lash, remarks wistfully on the beauty of St Mary's and later her making music through Harry's guitar playing.  How much she missed both, there are consequences, mostly suppressed.  I don't think it was just the nick name that changed the Shadow into Lash, Harry made her remember how it was before, and she felt regret.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 01:07:37 AM »
I think it came out in Skin Game that it was Lasciel, goes along with "hell hath no fury than a scorned female."

Could be her message but Anduriel acting as the megaphone for her.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 05:44:18 AM »
Balance, permanently lock away the coins, you permanently take the Swords out of the game.

With no third Knight I suspect those coins currently out of play, for example with Hades,  will stay out of play, but will be back in circulation as soon as there is a third Knight.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 01:44:24 PM »
Could be her message but Anduriel acting as the megaphone for her.
It could but why would she need that? What gives you the impression Lasciel couldn't do such a thing unaided?

Agreed. Functionally speaking it seems any Angel (Fallen or otherwise) can break the rules. But there are consequences. Not the least of which is that, for example, Heaven responds each time the Fallen break the rules. As you say, the Fallen are the way they are for a reason.

As for the OP -
I believe that the Fallen could be contained in Demonreach. If he can contain a god he can contain an Angel, and there is apparently things far worse than Ethniu in Demonreach. However, I suspect that the Coins would always end up free.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:51:56 AM by Yuillegan »