Author Topic: Mab Lying to Demonreach  (Read 12414 times)

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Mab Lying to Demonreach
« on: April 02, 2021, 09:53:32 PM »
In chapter 51 of "Ghost Story," when Mab told Demonreach that he couldn't gainsay her claim on Harry, and that Harry was hers to shape as she pleased, Uriel could and did call those statements "lies."

How could Mab, a faerie, lie?

Or if she was telling the truth (or even just what she believed to be true), how could Uriel call what she said lies?

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mab Lying to Demonreach
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 10:53:05 PM »
In chapter 51 of "Ghost Story," when Mab told Demonreach that he couldn't gainsay her claim on Harry, and that Harry was hers to shape as she pleased, Uriel could and did call those statements "lies."

Or if she was telling the truth (or even just what she believed to be true), how could Uriel call what she said lies?
Uriel's not banned from lying, is he?

Now he is banned from certain lies, in the sense that they allow the Fallen to break the rules in return, but I don't think he actually has to tell the exact truth.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 11:36:40 PM »

Mab cannot lie, however she can be mistaken.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 03:29:01 AM »

Did Mab lie? (At the end of Ghost Story)
Mab did not lie, Mab was wrong. There's a subtle difference to that, at the end of Ghost Story. As far as Mab is concerned, she's telling the truth, because she's telling the truth from her experience, as she knows it. Dresden, however, is getting an earful of truth on a more cosmic level. So we'll see how that plays out a little bit more in the next book
From a 2011 DC signing.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 04:26:46 AM »
From a 2011 DC signing.

That doesn't explain why Uriel said she WAS lying, though.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:10:45 AM »
7 words is a pretty harsh word limit, presumably just saying wrong instead wouldn't have been enough to snap Harry out of it.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 05:31:08 AM »
7 words is a pretty harsh word limit, presumably just saying wrong instead wouldn't have been enough to snap Harry out of it.

It may also be a greater lie.  Just speculating obviously but if I told a lie to you, and you said it to someone else, you may be lying without even knowing it.  So I could see how Mab in a way could be lying, but not on purpose.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 11:22:37 AM »

He didn't say she was lying, but what she said wasn't true.. As far as her understanding goes, she was telling the truth, but in her experience she never had had a wizard for a Knight, let alone one that has an archangel at his back.

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 02:43:17 PM »
He didn't say she was lying.

Yes he did. He called her statements, and I quote, "Lies."

It seems to me like he could have gotten the point across just as easily by saying, for example, "Mab cannot change who you are, Dresden," so it has to be important in some way that he specifically called Mab a liar.

Maybe it's just that archangels have different criteria than mortals or fae or WOJ for what is or isn't a lie. That's the only explanation I can think of.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 02:49:09 PM by Paviel »

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »

It seems to me like he could have gotten the point across just as easily by saying, for example, "Mab cannot change who you are, Dresden," so it has to be important in some way that he specifically called Mab a liar.

Maybe it's just that archangels have different criteria than mortals or fae or WOJ for what is or isn't a lie. That's the only explanation I can think of.

I've always had the opinion that the Fae do in fact lie, but not from their point of view.  So to them it is absolute truth, that is why one should never bargain with them.  You think you are agreeing to something, which you are, however while Mab might say,"yes" to whatever it is.. She didn't say it was still, "yes" when it is raining for example. If you don't ask, or go into detail, it is on you when you find out it is "no," when it rains.  So she isn't lying exactly, but neither is she telling the truth.  So from her point of view she was telling the truth..  However she was also lying because she was omitting the fine print.  The seven words holds her to the fine print in the bargain.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
That does not mean she was lying. Mab believed what she was saying and she had good reasons to do so.

It is also that Uriel and Mab have a different worldview. In Uriel’s view you are the only one who can change yourself. The only one who can change your soul, nobody else can do so.

Mab just applies pressure and temptation to a person and see he changes. According to Uriel he did so himself.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 07:10:07 PM »
Jim is a English major.
And a voice—a very calm, very gentle, very rational voice whispered in my ear, “Lies. Mab cannot change who you are.”

Butcher, Jim. Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, Book 13) (p. 575). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
lie2
/lī/
noun
plural noun: lies
(click to show/hide)

used with reference to a situation involving deception or  founded on a mistaken impression.
    "all their married life she had been living a lie"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:50:01 AM by morriswalters »

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 03:26:14 PM »
"Intentionally false statement" seems pretty clear to me.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 03:27:33 PM »
"Intentionally false statement" seems pretty clear to me.
Which Mab did not do.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »
So why did Uriel say that she had? He was clearly referring to two or more statements, not situations. (There's only one situation that's really at stake.)

"(The statements that were just spoken are) lies. Mab cannot change who you are" makes a lot more sense to me than "(The situations here are) lies. Mab cannot change who you are."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:39:48 PM by Paviel »