Author Topic: Can only a mortal take up a Coin? Who should get Deirdre's Coin?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Like could Thomas have one, or Mavra?  Humans can obviously have one, and we saw a sasquatch with one.  I believe it was suggested that Goodman Grey could have accepted one.  I wonder about Vampires though.  Because if they can, I want to see what that kind of hybrid would be capable of.  I could only imagine Mavra with Deirdre's Coin...  Undead spell caster with razor blade hair?  Pretty scary lol. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Can only a mortal take up a Coin? Who should get Deirdre's Coin?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:35:29 AM »
I mean if a Bigfoot can and Goodman Grey can I'd imagine so.

Harry certainly speculated that Thomas could take one up before when he warned him not to touch a coin back in Small Favor
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 06:59:52 AM by forumghost »

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Like could Thomas have one, or Mavra?  Humans can obviously have one, and we saw a sasquatch with one.  I believe it was suggested that Goodman Grey could have accepted one.  I wonder about Vampires though.  Because if they can, I want to see what that kind of hybrid would be capable of.  I could only imagine Mavra with Deirdre's Coin...  Undead spell caster with razor blade hair?  Pretty scary lol.
Thomas can, Jim has talked about how the result would be a very onesided power struggle between the hunger and the fallen.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 01:24:29 PM »
Thomas can, Jim has talked about how the result would be a very onesided power struggle between the hunger and the fallen.

Or in other words from the frying pan into the fire, as they say.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 02:32:23 PM »

In Thomas' specific case because he tries to tamp the hunger down, or in general? For any regular whamp without a conscience, I'd expect the hunger and the fallen would be synergistic. The hunger doesn't seem to have much in the way of high-level strategic objectives that would come into conflict with the fallen's scheming; it just wants to eat life. The fallen wants to corrupt the host, and nudging them to enjoy taking life even more seems to suit the bill.

Any but the most self-disciplined of whamps in that case won't be particularly conducive to Nicodemus' brand of wanting high-functioning lieutenants, but the combination would be hell on wheels for Tessa's preference for powerful goons addicted to hedonism.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
Obviously the only person who should take up a coin should be Michael.

Because it's such a Jim thing to do. Michael, lost, angry, desiring revenge. Perhaps if Charity were to be killed it would be enough.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 02:20:01 AM »
Obviously the only person who should take up a coin should be Michael.

Because it's such a Jim thing to do. Michael, lost, angry, desiring revenge. Perhaps if Charity were to be killed it would be enough.
If he wants revenge bad enough to do that he has Harry and Molly's phone numbers and neither of them would mind getting nasty with whoever killed Charity. The coins just aren't that tempting to people who have other options.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 02:22:00 AM by TheCuriousFan »

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 03:00:45 AM »
If he wants revenge bad enough to do that he has Harry and Molly's phone numbers and neither of them would mind getting nasty with whoever killed Charity. The coins just aren't that tempting to people who have other options.

You're not thinking Jim enough. What if Charity dies because of something Mab does? Harry and Molly would be powerless to raise a hand against her because all Mab would have to do is command them not to. Michael would be on his own.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 03:21:46 AM »
You're not thinking Jim enough. What if Charity dies because of something Mab does? Harry and Molly would be powerless to raise a hand against her because all Mab would have to do is command them not to. Michael would be on his own.
She'd have to be micromanaging them 24/7 to stop them from weaseling out from under that sort of command, not to mention willing to burn her bridges with them both by going with a plan that takes out Charity.

Also it's just not the Jim approach, he's big on consequences of prior actions coming back and this would be the world twisting itself into knots to swing at people through several layers of protection and who are staying out of the general mess of politics.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 05:32:35 AM »

Michael has Trust in God.  He also knows that bad things happen to good people, but still chooses to Trust.  Michael of all people knows that a Coin isn't the answer. Uriel....  An Archangel trusted Michael with his Grace.....  Michael is made of something pretty pure even if not perfect.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 05:34:15 PM »
Michael has Trust in God.  He also knows that bad things happen to good people, but still chooses to Trust.  Michael of all people knows that a Coin isn't the answer. Uriel....  An Archangel trusted Michael with his Grace.....  Michael is made of something pretty pure even if not perfect.

Michael is human, so anything is possible, however I agree, things would have to be worse than dire for him to even consider being tempted by a coin.  And even then, I think he'd reject it, and as you say, "put his trust in the Almighty."

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2021, 06:46:32 PM »
Mab would not do something like that because Molly has to balance the scales. It would make winter totally unmanageable.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 09:49:32 PM »
Hell, Mab wouldn't do it because Mab would have to balance the scales.

She's a faerie. Killing Charity would incur a massive debt to the entire Carpenter family.

For one thing, she'd probably be on the hook for raising the rest of the Jawas, which would either result in a Evil Stepmother scenario or a hilarious sitcom plot about a faerie queen adapting to life in the 'burbs- possibly both.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:00:01 AM by forumghost »

Offline Braincandy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 03:40:50 AM »
Hell, Mab wouldn't do it because Mab would have to balance the scales.

She's a faerie. Killing Charity would incur a massive debt to the entire Carpenter family.

For one thing, she'd probably be on the hook for raising the rest of the Jawas, which would either result in a Evil Stepmother scenario or a hilarious sitcom plot about a faerie queen adapting to life in the 'burbs- possibly both.

Let's not forget that she can't personally do a hit on a mortal. I am sure she could cook something up to take out Charity without incurring debt, I mean she is among the worlds foremost experts on the subject. I think the one thing we can agree on is that she won't be able to get her Knight to do the job.

The question is WHY would Mab put a hit on Charity. She certainly knows who Charity is and she knows that if something bad happened to her it would cause unimaginable turmoil in her Winter Lady. Even if Charity found out about Molly being a Queen under Mab and went looking for revenge against Winter, I don't know if Charity could make herself enough of a nuisance for Mab to need to act that severely.

I'll tell you one person who I wouldn't mind seeing with a Coin just because it means the gloves can come off in dealing with him.......good ole Rudolph.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 01:43:53 PM »
I'll tell you one person who I wouldn't mind seeing with a Coin just because it means the gloves can come off in dealing with him.......good ole Rudolph.

Now that I could see, and it would work on a number of levels.