Author Topic: Mother Winter and Mother Summer Are the Same, Right?  (Read 3294 times)

Offline heidi_storage

• Participant
    • View Profile
Mother Winter and Mother Summer Are the Same, Right?
« on: March 21, 2021, 11:02:31 PM »
There's the bit in CD where the Mothers talk about Dresden guessing "our" names, when he was summoning Mother Winter; I thought I remembered a WoJ saying that Titania was MS's daughter, and Mab was the daughter of MW, and Mab and Titania are sisters. Am I off base?

(Sorry for the lack of quotes. I'm typing one handed while feeding the baby.)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mother Winter and Mother Summer Are the Same, Right?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 05:16:28 AM »
Yes, the implication is that they are indeed the same being. There is even a big hint in Skin Games, when Harry sees a statue in the vaults of Hades. But...I suspect it might be more than that too. It isn't clear on who or what split the Courts, and whether that divided them or doubled them. So the actual original being could have reduced it self down or doubled itself. Most people here seem to believe (myself included) that the original being split itself into several lesser beings - the Queens of Faerie. It did this likely so it could have more flexibility. But there is always a cost too...
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 06:34:19 PM »
Yes, the implication is that they are indeed the same being. There is even a big hint in Skin Games, when Harry sees a statue in the vaults of Hades. But...I suspect it might be more than that too. It isn't clear on who or what split the Courts, and whether that divided them or doubled them. So the actual original being could have reduced it self down or doubled itself. Most people here seem to believe (myself included) that the original being split itself into several lesser beings - the Queens of Faerie. It did this likely so it could have more flexibility. But there is always a cost too...

The going theory is it was Hecate or Persephone who sacrificed themselves on the stone table correct?
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 02:26:37 AM »
Both yes and no. God level and above may be both singular and multiple at the same time. The Mantles look to be artificial barriers created to prevent too much power coalescing into a single being. The Mothers can barely intervene in the mortal reality without potentially breaking it. The Queens look to be just powerful enough to not break reality. Add the power of the Lady and the Knight and you are in a Ferrovax territory, a being of that power couldn’t fully manifest in the mortal world without breaking reality, and that is the position of the Mothers, they can reach in and grab Harry, they can’t come to him.

All 8 Fae Mantles together would challenge the White God if collected in a single being, unless simultaneously they are also the White God, which is possible. It explains Mab and Uriel working together. Linear time is only exclusively for mortals so theoretically all 8 Mantles could eventually coalesce into a single entity which reaches back and creates linear time and hence creation. Mab is part of something that is/was/will be part of the White God.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:22:54 AM »
Jim has said recently that the fae courts had a sponsor to become the guardians of the Outer Gates. That sponsor set up the courts and created the mantles.

He's also said that Mother Summer has been replaced once, either was killed or retired. Mother Winter is the OG Mother Winter and the only fae queen who was around when the courts were set up. She could be the original sponsor wearing one of the mantles to retain immortality. I believe Jim will use her as a conduit to tell the tale of the origin of the courts.

Thankfully he's also said that the fae courts will be the last guardians of the Outer Gates. Which I take to mean that they will no longer be needed and the fae courts and mantles will be destroyed by the end of the BAT.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 04:30:22 AM »
Thankfully he's also said that the fae courts will be the last guardians of the Outer Gates.
citation needed. He said they are the last guardians not that they WILL be the last guardians.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 04:48:53 AM »

All 8 Fae Mantles together would challenge the White God if collected in a single being, unless simultaneously they are also the White God, which is possible. It explains Mab and Uriel working together. Linear time is only exclusively for mortals so theoretically all 8 Mantles could eventually coalesce into a single entity which reaches back and creates linear time and hence creation. Mab is part of something that is/was/will be part of the White God.

I don't really think there is any evidence of this....  The Sidhe operate on a global scale.  TWG operates on a universal scale.  I mean they aren't remotely comparable in power.  Uriel can think a galaxy out of existence while Mab can cause bad weather on Earth....  There is one Uriel across the entire multiverse.....  Not even remotely close in actual true power. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 05:38:05 AM »
The going theory is it was Hecate or Persephone who sacrificed themselves on the stone table correct?
Yep...I have heard the Persephone theory and the only way I seeing it really working is if several Goddesses were in fact the Queens. But Jim seems to only refer to the one sponsor, which is why Hecate makes more sense.

Both yes and no. God level and above may be both singular and multiple at the same time. The Mantles look to be artificial barriers created to prevent too much power coalescing into a single being. The Mothers can barely intervene in the mortal reality without potentially breaking it. The Queens look to be just powerful enough to not break reality. Add the power of the Lady and the Knight and you are in a Ferrovax territory, a being of that power couldn’t fully manifest in the mortal world without breaking reality, and that is the position of the Mothers, they can reach in and grab Harry, they can’t come to him.

Not sure where you are getting that idea. Just because the Mothers are Archangel level (although it's not clear if that's both or just one) it doesn't follow that all 6 are TWG-level. I mean, the other Queens barely rate on the scale (particularly the Ladies and the Knights fit in somewhere...) And it's not clear that Ferrovax is Archangel level either.

Jim has said recently that the fae courts had a sponsor to become the guardians of the Outer Gates. That sponsor set up the courts and created the mantles.

He's also said that Mother Summer has been replaced once, either was killed or retired. Mother Winter is the OG Mother Winter and the only fae queen who was around when the courts were set up. She could be the original sponsor wearing one of the mantles to retain immortality. I believe Jim will use her as a conduit to tell the tale of the origin of the courts.

Thankfully he's also said that the fae courts will be the last guardians of the Outer Gates. Which I take to mean that they will no longer be needed and the fae courts and mantles will be destroyed by the end of the BAT.
Not quite, he actually said the Fae have always sort of been the foot soldiers of whoever was manning the Gates (which once was the Aseir and may have also been Olympians), it wasn't until the sponsor came along that the Fae got to run themselves...sort of. And yes, this appears to be when the split happened.

I don't recall much about them being the last guardians...but I do remember something about them being the latest.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 06:43:50 AM »
The idea is that the 8 Mantles themselves may actually only be aspects of a greater whole as it is perceived in linear time. We have an alliance of Uriel, Mab, Hades and Odin, but what if they actually represent aspects of the non-linear White God, who is actually the Mantles, several ‘gods’, Archangels and angels who in our linear future coalesce into a single entity, the same entity which is then capable of creating linear time ending the non-linear existence previously enjoyed by god level entities. The White God effectively creates himself, and simultaneously exists as a singular entity and as all the various components which make him up.

Not only are  Mother Winter and Mother Summer “the same” so is, will be, and has been all the major god tier players on the side of mortal humans. It’s in the process of happening, has happened, will happen. Who knows maybe it’s humanities belief which provides the glue and the White God is a supernatural Singularity.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »
The idea is that the 8 Mantles themselves may actually only be aspects of a greater whole as it is perceived in linear time. We have an alliance of Uriel, Mab, Hades and Odin, but what if they actually represent aspects of the non-linear White God, who is actually the Mantles, several ‘gods’, Archangels and angels who in our linear future coalesce into a single entity, the same entity which is then capable of creating linear time ending the non-linear existence previously enjoyed by god level entities. The White God effectively creates himself, and simultaneously exists as a singular entity and as all the various components which make him up.

Not only are  Mother Winter and Mother Summer “the same” so is, will be, and has been all the major god tier players on the side of mortal humans. It’s in the process of happening, has happened, will happen. Who knows maybe it’s humanities belief which provides the glue and the White God is a supernatural Singularity.

*drops jaw to floor* I love it, crazy, out there, and yet totally reasonable. All Gods are the elephant. Great theory.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 12:20:01 PM »

If you're saying that all the gods are part of the greater whole, that's quite a different theory than merely suggesting that the 6 Queens of Faerie are the same as TWG. But perhaps I misunderstand you. You could also just be saying that TWG is merely the combination of only several distinct beings like the Queens plus Hades, Odin etc.

This theory is similar to what was floated in the GUCMT (Grand Unifying Cosmological Multiverse Theory...I think that's the acronym) by Serack. Worth a read if you haven't already. Basically, all the spirits (from inside Creation) are essentially offshoots or emanations of greater spirits, which are in turn emanations off the greater being TWG. So almost the exact same. Serack's theory also included angels etc. I don't think it covered Outsiders exactly, other than they were negative beings from a polar opposite plan/place. I have discussed in the past that perhaps in order for TWG to be everywhere it has to be connected and a part of everything, particularly things like souls. TWG is merely the term for the amalgamation of souls, angels, the universe etc. Perhaps the other gods too. But it's hard to say for sure.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2021, 03:13:19 PM »
I lean toward Demeter, since it would be more of a surprise reveal. We think of her as the goddess of growth- but her mourning for Persephone each year caused winter and death and misery to which she was indifferent.

From a Guardians of the Gates standpoint, it's been the Fae for at least a millenium. A millenium gone, the Norse gods were at their peak for worship. A millenium before that, the Roman gods; a millenium before that is questionable, but the Greeks nearly align, especially with how Jim plays with his mantles. A millenium before that- Egypt, maybe? A millenium before that, roughly, Sumer, with their mythology of order coming from the slaying of the primordial serpent. Before that, ?- dragons, maybe. As members of the Accords, we've seen Sumerian-speaking ghouls, Etruscan speaking vampires, old Norse gods, and in the background a Greek/Roman deity (is Hades a signatory?).

No real point, just tossing things out there. Millenarian movements are a very real force in human psychology, and Jim seems to be hellbent on creating an "Everything is in it!" series.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2021, 06:23:45 PM »
I lean toward Demeter, since it would be more of a surprise reveal. We think of her as the goddess of growth- but her mourning for Persephone each year caused winter and death and misery to which she was indifferent.

From a Guardians of the Gates standpoint, it's been the Fae for at least a millenium. A millenium gone, the Norse gods were at their peak for worship. A millenium before that, the Roman gods; a millenium before that is questionable, but the Greeks nearly align, especially with how Jim plays with his mantles. A millenium before that- Egypt, maybe? A millenium before that, roughly, Sumer, with their mythology of order coming from the slaying of the primordial serpent. Before that, ?- dragons, maybe. As members of the Accords, we've seen Sumerian-speaking ghouls, Etruscan speaking vampires, old Norse gods, and in the background a Greek/Roman deity (is Hades a signatory?).

No real point, just tossing things out there. Millenarian movements are a very real force in human psychology, and Jim seems to be hellbent on creating an "Everything is in it!" series.

Demeter is a good one as she's the Goddess of cycles. Hecate as the goddess of witchcraft could fit. Persephone has a tie in for the seasonal nature of the courts. Two more options are the Horea or it was it was all three who sacrificed themselves.

Something else we haven't mentioned is how Vadderung is in the courts but not of the courts so there could be a relationship to Idunn or another Norse Goddess.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 12:04:44 AM »

Is the story about her creating the summer and winter be a symbolic representation of the division of the elven courts?
Not by fire but by ice.