Author Topic: What magical talents would you like to see Harry improve on/use?  (Read 4504 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
So there is a difference in opinion about Harry, and his magical talent, and how it's evolved (or lagged) as the series has progressed.  So instead of going on about his skill, or lack there of I wanted to talk about what magic you would like to see him using, or improving on. 

I think at BG it really sounded like he was going to be making a new, and better shield bracelet.  So maybe something there could be interesting.  Like instead of just protecting him, why not be able to redirect what's coming at him?

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: What magical talents would you like to see Harry improve on/use?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:08:00 PM »
So there is a difference in opinion about Harry, and his magical talent, and how it's evolved (or lagged) as the series has progressed.  So instead of going on about his skill, or lack there of I wanted to talk about what magic you would like to see him using, or improving on. 

I think at BG it really sounded like he was going to be making a new, and better shield bracelet.  So maybe something there could be interesting.  Like instead of just protecting him, why not be able to redirect what's coming at him?

I think we will see Harry working on being able to teleport.   When he sees Marcone/Namshiel do it he mentions that he saw books about it in the library at Edinburgh, but when he inquired they wre forbidden to him.  He also says it is a skill that can take years and years to master if ever.  I think Jim is setting the ground work for Harry to perhaps master that very skill but it may take a couple of books.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 03:18:54 PM »
I have the impression, he will go for shape shifting first. He already had a guess, how to increase mass, while riding on horse Grey in Skin Game, he admired LTW's shapehifting in Turn Coat while he was fighting the Naagloshi.
There was the conjuritis in PT/BG, and I can totally imagine him developing something like that on purpose, knowing now how it feels to conjure involuntary.

And of course improved items like the shield bracelet.

And I hope, he will improve his fire/ice/force magic without items like the blasting rod or his staff. I liked how Mab made him do magic without focus. IMHO he should work on that, too.

The teleporting stuff... Yes, that would be cool, but I think there is a shortage of teachers and accessable information. Now how should he get the books in the council's library now as an outcast, when he was denied access even as a member. Somehow I think Marcone wouldn't be helpful with that either.
So the teleporting would have to wait until he has mastered the shape shifting.

I definitely want so see shape shifting. River Shoulders already said he would teach him more.

Edit: and oh, I forgot:
Potions! I want potions.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 03:21:37 PM by Regenbogen »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 05:16:20 PM »
The teleporting stuff... Yes, that would be cool, but I think there is a shortage of teachers and accessable information. Now how should he get the books in the council's library now as an outcast, when he was denied access even as a member. Somehow I think Marcone wouldn't be helpful with that either.
So the teleporting would have to wait until he has mastered the shape shifting.

I agree about the shape shifting stuff.. But don't dismiss the ability to teleport.  The fact that earlier in his career Harry wanted access to the books shows an interest.  All is not lost just because he
is forbidden, it appears he has access to Bob once again, as well as Bonea if she matures enough to get her information straight, I believe between the two of them it would be enough.  I think a lot depends on what Harry finds out about the true meaning of "stars and stones," and his role in the coming BAT as a star born, this influence what new skills he thinks he will need and what ones he needs to improve upon.

Offline seanham

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 06:46:15 PM »
I agree that upgraded gear and shapeshifting will come in the coming book or books, but I also want to see some more support type magic. Harry hates seeing his friends hurt, so some healing magic would make a lot of sense. Building his network of informants (through magical means or otherwise) would be another great skill. Unlocking the Castle's magical workings would be great as well. As far as elemental/battle magic is concerned, I want to see Harry get more refined. He constantly says he is a powerhouse but lacks the fine control that comes with age and experience. I think it's time Harry moves past the over-the-top explosions and moves onto slightly more controlled explosions. This would show Harry's abilities increasing but would also make sense become he is becoming more responsible, and he has more responsibilities (with Deamonreach, Wizard of Chicago, and as a father).

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 08:00:07 PM »
Another thing to consider.  Harry for the first time has become aware that something is coming....  The Stars and Stones.  He might not know what exactly it is, but he knows that it's coming.  So he will hopefully begin preparing for it.  He will be creating his magical tools, practicing his magic, and coming up with new ways of using his magic.  He saw Drakul, and Marcone using teleportation, and even if he cannot do it himself he could come up with ways of defeating it.  Harry has a real goal now....  Be ready, because the clock is ticking.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 10:46:29 PM »
Another thing to consider.  Harry for the first time has become aware that something is coming....  The Stars and Stones.  He might not know what exactly it is, but he knows that it's coming.  So he will hopefully begin preparing for it.  He will be creating his magical tools, practicing his magic, and coming up with new ways of using his magic.  He saw Drakul, and Marcone using teleportation, and even if he cannot do it himself he could come up with ways of defeating it.  Harry has a real goal now....  Be ready, because the clock is ticking.

Like he quietly took the Spear and the Placard to the party for the battle for Chicago. He didn't advertise, he just kept it quietly under his coat.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 03:10:42 AM »
I think we will see Harry working on being able to teleport.   When he sees Marcone/Namshiel do it he mentions that he saw books about it in the library at Edinburgh, but when he inquired they wre forbidden to him.  He also says it is a skill that can take years and years to master if ever.  I think Jim is setting the ground work for Harry to perhaps master that very skill but it may take a couple of books.
Teleporting is probably on the agenda since he'll need it or a counter to survive a rematch with HWWB but I expect it'll be real lategame stuff.

Personally I want shapeshifting into a lizard for the brick joke and horse to continue that trend (and give a new way to hurt Harry).
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 04:12:15 AM »
When fighting, he tends to favour direct manipulation of Energy (Specifically, Force and Heat). There's a lot that he can do with just those two- for example, we've seen him pull off Luccio's Laser beams exactly once before, he should work on that.

Another good idea would be to try and refine his force Magic- try and see if he can pull off more then just bursts of kinetic energy. If that two-bit Sorcerer in Ghost Story can give himself Super-Speed, the Winter Knight and the Wizard of Chicago ought to have the chops for it (this especially would be a good idea, since Harry seems to insist on charging in with his stick like a caveman a lot more these days).

Another neat trick could be for him to learn to start using his enemies force and heat. In Changes he was able to turn Rampires into Popsicle's and then use the stolen heat to immolate the next once during the attack on Chicken Pizza. That feels like something to expand upon- we know for example that he can make items capable of holding energy like his Force Rings, or storing Stamina like his Belt Buckle. Try doing something with that Harry- Your enemies want to shoot at you? Who cares, you've got a spell/item that lets you steal the Force from their bullets and use it to charge up your next Forzare!

That said, that kind of stuff would mean that Harry was trying to fight smarter, not harder, instead of the reverse, so I don't see it happening.

Most likely at best he'll have a proper shield bracelet and blasting rod by the next book.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:17 AM »

Earth magic is another, he has used it a time or two and it is very powerful.  I believe Eb uses it quite often as well.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 09:43:16 PM »
Shapeshifting, water magic, earth magic.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 06:35:44 AM »
Earth magic is another, he has used it a time or two and it is very powerful.  I believe Eb uses it quite often as well.

In fact, he shows a substantial talent for it (possibly greater than his talent with fire).

His intense-gravity spells, and "vulcanomancy" in the Raith Deeps were both major workings, and impressed the hell out of Warden Ramirez (who was actively fighting in the Ramp-war more than Harry -- Harry needs to find out how things are going from Ramirez), and the entire millenia-old Red Court, LoONs and all.  And so far as we can tell, he did them from basic theory and an intuitive "feel" for the Art.

Given that Eb is his grandfather, maybe it's a talent that runs in the family...

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 02:01:45 PM »
Mostly I like Harry's Shield Progression the most. Purely Kinetic from Baseballs as a 12 year old to fending of half a dozen Black Court Elders.

The Soulfire and Will combination is good as well. I just reread BG and he combines both those with Winter as well.

His offense is progressively more powerful but that's more about his power growth than any distinct skill he works on.

Binding Ethniu was great and all but felt like a standard fight against WILL at this point, has done since Changes.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 03:03:22 AM »
Harry going full Winter Knight / Starborn

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 07:44:40 AM »
Oh right I forgot to add this.

I really really want Harry to come up with a strategy for huge enemies, beyond trying to trip them, or relying on the fact they can't bank or turn and leading them into a trap.