Author Topic: Molly's new magic  (Read 7069 times)

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Molly's new magic
« on: March 05, 2021, 05:16:16 PM »
Since Cold Days, Molly has displayed roughly one new magic skill per appearance. Not counting any air or cold based magic which presumably are inherent in her being the Winter Lady she has shown; In Skin Game, she magically healed Harry. In Peace Talks she enchanted an item to spec for Harry in a couple of hours, and she used communication magic to coordinate the deployment of Winter's troops. Throughout several appearances she's been able to move from location to location much faster than by physically travelling the distance between the two places. In The Good People she created matter from thin air and used temporal magic.

Molly is using magic far beyond her previous areas of competence. To say nothing of the major power bump from being the Winter Lady, her competence with magic is far outstripping her former master. Harry had better get some major magic skill in Twelve Months or I'm going to start losing interest in him. Sure, he's a knuckle-dragging bruiser. But in the company he's been keeping of late, that's no longer enough.

Any other instances of Molly using new magic skills that I'm missing?
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Molly's new magic
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »

When she helped Harry give birth to Bonea, Molly was already Winter Lady, she also knows Harry's brain quite well from all the sparing the two of them did mentally.  I wouldn't be shocked if Mab had tutored her on how to safely remove Bonea, knowing that Harry would never accept her being in his head and she didn't want to lose her Knight.  Molly's magical skill has always been in the mind magic area in the first place so I don't think her helping Harry involved really new skills for her.

Offline LostInTime

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 05:45:59 PM »
Thought of another one, In Peace Talks, during the kraken attack, she was swimming with bull sharks. Aquamotion? I guess that's water magic. That would also be assuming those were Winter bull sharks, and if they were just natural bull sharks, animal control? Geez.
The more I get to know people, the better I like my dog.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06:18:44 PM »
She was always better at talking with mouse than Harry was.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 11:31:57 PM »
Except for the item enchantment, and the talking to bull sharks, all the other abilities come from Winter. Temporal magic has been used by the Ladies before, the moving from place to place faster than humans has been shown by Mab.

The healing of Harry in SG? She specializes in mind magic. Even before the mantle, Alfred told Harry to ask for her help. And Alfred only really knows Molly through Harry. It's not a new special ability.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 12:01:10 AM »
I mean to be fair being better then Harry at magic isn't exactly hard. I'm pretty sure literally every magic user in the series is better than Harry. Harry wins by coasting on his massive power.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
I mean to be fair being better then Harry at magic isn't exactly hard. I'm pretty sure literally every magic user in the series is better than Harry. Harry wins by coasting on his massive power.

I disagree  because I do think that Harry is actually pretty good.  Unlike others he's usually beaten half to death, and no time to do anything by the time he has to face an enemy.

That being said, yes he's not the most technical, and you're right about his massive power.  It's kind of like a 5'0 100 pound martial arts expert taking on a 6'10, 300 pound animal who has no formal training but has been beating people's asses for 20 years.  Skill is great but has it's limitations when facing overwhelming power.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 08:09:56 AM »
I disagree  because I do think that Harry is actually pretty good.  Unlike others he's usually beaten half to death, and no time to do anything by the time he has to face an enemy.

That being said, yes he's not the most technical, and you're right about his massive power.  It's kind of like a 5'0 100 pound martial arts expert taking on a 6'10, 300 pound animal who has no formal training but has been beating people's asses for 20 years.  Skill is great but has it's limitations when facing overwhelming power.
Except that forumghost's comment is about how everyone and their mother (Ramirez, Marcone, Molly etc) is outskilling Harry lately because he's been stagnating.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
Except that forumghost's comment is about how everyone and their mother (Ramirez, Marcone, Molly etc) is outskilling Harry lately because he's been stagnating.

Exactly. Harry being able to cast Burning Hands with a 9th level slot isn't exactly impressive when Carlos is casting Disintegrate as an at-will spell, and Marcone and his like, 4 years of magical training can cast Teleport.

Dresden needs to git gud.

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 09:30:21 AM »
I've got a theory which I posted in the other thread that Molly is one of the few Wizards sensitive enough to the etherial that she can sense the childhood monsters, that Magiie has to face. The fact that she wrote the book on it is a big hint, as well as the ffact that her job as Winter Lady is to handle the Fae children.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 11:56:00 AM »

Harry's lack of skill comes from lack of training, he did get the basics from Justin, but he was declared a full wizard by sixteen.  Eb had other worries for his future so his training consisted in teaching wizard morals, that furthering Harry's skills. Remember most wizards remain apprentices into their twenties.  Part of it by his own admission is he was too busy with other things and was a bit lazy as a student, so Harry is or was behind and feels behind others in his skills.  Actually it is a bit of false modesty on Harry's part, when he became master to Molly, since he had to teach her, he taught himself at the same time.  Take veils, while he doesn't have the natural talent for them like Molly, he has worked on the skill where he will used them with regularity now, where in the past because of his lack of confidence he rarely did.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 12:03:46 PM »
Exactly. Harry being able to cast Burning Hands with a 9th level slot isn't exactly impressive when Carlos is casting Disintegrate as an at-will spell, and Marcone and his like, 4 years of magical training can cast Teleport.

Dresden needs to git gud.
How gud would you like him to be?  He killed the Reds, root and branch. He used necromancy to bring a T-Rex to life. The White Council fears him so much they tried to cancel him. Mab thinks he could kill Molly if the need arose. He soloed a Titan. He can use Soul Fire and Winter Ice. He converted the Shadow of a Fallen.  He built Little Chicago, has the baddest ass enchanted coat and distributes Angelic Swords. And when push came to shove he showed he could pawn Eb. So we down vote him because he can't draw inside the lines? :o ;D

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
How gud would you like him to be?He killed the Reds, root and branch.

That wasn't a display of magical ability on his part. That was him piggybacking off the Red Courts own Ritual.

He used necromancy to bring a T-Rex to life.

Again, not a matter of Skill. Harry himself acknowledges that it was just a matter of having the juice to do it.

The White Council fears him so much they tried to cancel him.

The White Council fears him because of his Reputation, his Tendency to run with the Bad guys, and his propensity to make monumentally dumb decisions and somehow live past them.

Mab thinks he could kill Molly if the need arose.

So do I. Mostly because Molly would never expect it. You don't need to be skilled to suckerpunch a young woman that has been pining over you for a decade.

He soloed a Titan.

Looks at Mab, Titania, Odin, The Erlking, The Winter Lady, an Army of Fae, Two Knight of the Cross, several Senior Members of the White Council, The Archive, The Queen of the White Court, a Couple Valkyries, a Bigfoot, and a Knight of the Blackened Denarius

Right... "Solo"

He can use Soul Fire and Winter Ice.

Yeah, too bad he never does anything useful with it.

He converted the Shadow of a Fallen.  He built Little Chicago, has the baddest ass enchanted coat and distributes Angelic Swords. And when push came to shove he showed he could pawn Eb. So we down vote him because he can't draw inside the lines? :o ;D

Of these, only Little Chicago is actually a testament to his magical skills, and that was used about twice ever, and only worked because someone else sneaked into his lab to grade his work for him.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 12:58:53 PM by forumghost »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 12:52:00 PM »
I think he is extremely good at some stuff and not as good in other things. That happens when you pick up things in practice when you need it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 02:01:09 PM »
I think he is extremely good at some stuff and not as good in other things. That happens when you pick up things in practice when you need it.

It is also part of being a normal human being, none of us are good at everything.
That wasn't a display of magical ability on his part. That was him piggybacking off the Red Courts own Ritual.
Oh?  He managed to figure out what he had to do and he did it.  Wizard is derived from wise one, if I remember correctly.  Wisdom comes from knowledge, knowledge comes from learning.. That give you magical ability.  As Luke told the Mandalorian about Gegoo, " he is strong with the Force, but it means nothing without training.."  I think you are confusing ability with talent, you are born with talent, but you have to be taught basic skills to develop ability.
Again, not a matter of Skill. Harry himself acknowledges that it was just a matter of having the juice to do it.
Yes, he had the juice to do it, but without the book, the knowledge and the basic skills, no amount of juice would have enabled him to do it.
So do I. Mostly because Molly would never expect it. You don't need to be skilled to suckerpunch a young woman that has been pining over you for a decade.

Suckerpunch or not, on Halloween, Molly is vulnerable... Also yeah, to figure out how to suckerpunch someone like Molly does take skill and knowledge.. People who are able to pull off a suckerpunch are often very clever even if the action is distasteful.
Looks at Mab, Titania, Odin, The Erlking, The Winter Lady, an Army of Fae, Two Knight of the Cross, several Senior Members of the White Council, The Archive, The Queen of the White Court, a Couple Valkyries, a Bigfoot, and a Knight of the Blackened Denarius

Right... "Solo"

Yup, he had lots of help, he acknowledges that, however in the end it was Harry, and Harry alone who performed the binding.  Oh and back up a few steps, the original actions in the first place that made him Warden, then the presence of mind to take those Artifacts from then vault and store them away on Demonreach.  All of the above took skill and knowledge on Harry's part, he has enough intelligence to ask questions when he needs to.
The White Council fears him because of his Reputation, his Tendency to run with the Bad guys, and his propensity to make monumentally dumb decisions and somehow live past them.
Dumb for whom?  The Council fears him because he is the skunk at the garden party.. However their fear is ill placed, in spite of their many attacks on him until the end of Battle Field Harry remained loyal to them and their principles or tried to be.
Yeah, too bad he never does anything useful with it.

Do you think he would have been able to pull off what he did, becoming Warden of Demonreach without the aid of Soul Fire?  Just because you don't see anything useful yet, that doesn't mean there won't be in the future.
Of these, only Little Chicago is actually a testament to his magical skills, and that was used about twice ever, and only worked because someone else sneaked into his lab to grade his work for him.

Really?  How about the imagination to even attempt it in the first place?