Author Topic: Bane Fire  (Read 4356 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bane Fire
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
Considering mortals can already kill gods on Halloween and Ethniu's big weapon could do so any time of the year, I think it's safe to say that there's more than one way to bypass immortality

It does change things for sure
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 02:12:27 AM »
In any case, the "Conqueror" [almost certainly] didn't refer to Merlin.
You never can be sure. But you can be pretty sure.

Especially since we know the resulting explosion would be on par with a nuke, annihilating Chicago and several miles around it in the process of killing the prisoners.
It doesn't kill the prisoners according to CD.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 10:39:50 PM »
You never can be sure. But you can be pretty sure.

We can be sure:

“Old woman,” Corb taunted. “I remember you as a bawling brat. I remember your pimply face when you rode with the Conqueror. I remember how you wept when Merlin cast you out.”

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (pp. 278-279). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

That's referring to two different people.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 02:23:57 AM »
We can be sure:

I'd disagree it has to be, it could be a continuation.
"I remember when Drakul drained you. I remember how you wept when the impaler left you upon the spike." See?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 03:50:47 AM »
Do the whole quote.
“Old woman,” Corb taunted. “I remember you as a bawling brat. I remember your pimply face when you rode with the Conqueror. I remember how you wept when Merlin cast you out.” Mab’s face . . . . . . twisted into naked, ugly, absolute rage. Her body became so rigid, so immobile, that it could not possibly have belonged to a living thing. “Tell me,” Corb purred. “If he was yet among the living, do you think he would still love you? Would he be so proud of what you’ve become?”

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (pp. 278-279). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Subject and predicate. It's pretty straightforward. The Old Woman is Mab. There is also a subtle reference to the Triple Goddess.  Mab as a baby, Mab as a Maiden and then Mab as a Old Woman. Also Korb the idiot said that Merlin died and in most of the stories he didn't, he was sealed under a rock or a tree, or somewhere. One of these days I'll reread La Mort du Arther if I can summon the interest.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 12:16:53 PM »
Do the whole quote.Subject and predicate. It's pretty straightforward. The Old Woman is Mab. There is also a subtle reference to the Triple Goddess.  Mab as a baby, Mab as a Maiden and then Mab as a Old Woman. Also Korb the idiot said that Merlin died and in most of the stories he didn't, he was sealed under a rock or a tree, or somewhere. One of these days I'll reread La Mort du Arther if I can summon the interest.
Not necessarily idiotic if the legends got it wrong. But he actually doesn't say Merlin died, just that he isn't among the living. It's not 100% the same thing. Dare I say it, Jim might have phrased it like that on purpose. Merlin might have ascended into a divine being, or perhaps is trapped between life and death, or in an underworld but more as a visitor than a denizen. I mean, it's meant to make us think Merlin is dead and so that might well be true. But it isn't necessarily either.

It's a fine read, but a little bit dry. If you can be bothered go have a dig into the older Welsh tales around Merlin. It's much more interesting I think.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 05:04:56 PM »
Do the whole quote.Subject and predicate. It's pretty straightforward. The Old Woman is Mab. There is also a subtle reference to the Triple Goddess.  Mab as a baby, Mab as a Maiden and then Mab as a Old Woman. Also Korb the idiot said that Merlin died and in most of the stories he didn't, he was sealed under a rock or a tree, or somewhere. One of these days I'll reread La Mort du Arther if I can summon the interest.

If the stories are accurate it was likely Mab who locked him away...  If she loved him, and locked him away....  Perhaps it was something like Harry locking away Thomas... 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 02:06:23 AM »
Are you sure?  :P

But seriously, how are you sure? Even if you can lay out a bunch of rules of formal English that lawyers and judges would use interpreting a statute or something, you'd have to also say Corb was speaking in strict compliance with those rules.

I think that it's highly unlikely that Merlin is the Conqueror, but I don't think those two sentences make it certain. Beowulf, Vadderung, and Santa are the same person, so there's even more reason to be cautious about claiming they're definitively not the same person.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 10:33:44 AM »
Well that zoomed right over my head. Merlin as the Conqueror?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 05:32:22 PM »
Well that zoomed right over my head. Merlin as the Conqueror?
I remember your pimply face when you rode with the Conqueror. I remember how you wept when Merlin cast you out.”
The quote can be interpreted as the objects of the italicized prepositional phrases are the same person. It's probably not an accurate interpretation, and if I had to lay down a bet, I'd be putting money on the Conqueror being William the Conqueror or at least not Merlin.