Author Topic: Bane Fire  (Read 4390 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Bane Fire
« on: February 10, 2021, 06:39:52 PM »
Demon Reach has Bane Fire as a last ditch effort to destroy the prisoners if an escape happened.  The fire is described as crimpson, and blue becoming white (if memory is accurate)...  This to me sounds like Hellfire, and Soulfire combined...  Like a matter, and antimatter explosion or something.  With Harry having access to Soulfire, and possibly Hellfire....  I wonder if he could wield the power to kill Immortals...  I mean if Bane fire does it to the prisoners why not a Bane Fire spell? 

Perhaps this is why he is a weapon?  Perhaps Starborns are destined to wield this kind of power.  Mortals who can kill gods.  I believe Merlin was called "The Conquerer" in Battle Ground, and Morgan was worried about Harry being a Destroyer with a capital D.  Maybe that's what this is about? 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Bane Fire
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 06:47:03 PM »
I believe Merlin was called "The Conquerer" in Battle Ground...

Not according to a text search.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 07:00:33 PM by didymos »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:52:44 PM »
Demon Reach has Bane Fire as a last ditch effort to destroy the prisoners if an escape happened.  The fire is described as crimpson, and blue becoming white (if memory is accurate)...  This to me sounds like Hellfire, and Soulfire combined...  Like a matter, and antimatter explosion or something.  With Harry having access to Soulfire, and possibly Hellfire....  I wonder if he could wield the power to kill Immortals...  I mean if Bane fire does it to the prisoners why not a Bane Fire spell?   
My reading of CD is that the Bane Fire will not kill an immortal. That they'll comeback from it eventually.

Not according to a text search.
Merlin cast Mab out and Mab rode with the "Conqueror." Most assume that the Conqueror is William the Conqueror, but a lot of the William the Conqueror references (maybe all of them) haven't been explicit. Why wildest wag is that they're misdirection.

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 06:56:31 PM »
Merlin cast Mab out and Mab rode with the "Conqueror."

Yeah, that was mentioned in Peace Talks.  In any case, the "Conqueror" didn't refer to Merlin.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »
For what's worth bane fire translates as bone fire.  The Destroyer is a magical suit of armor in the Marvel comics.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 02:16:50 AM »
Merlin cast Mab out and Mab rode with the "Conqueror." Most assume that the Conqueror is William the Conqueror, but a lot of the William the Conqueror references (maybe all of them) haven't been explicit. Why wildest wag is that they're misdirection.

To be honest when I read the passage I thought it meant she was riding around with King Arthur and he was going around the country side as a KOTC, slaying the enemies...  To Korb that would be like a Conquerer. 

It was only when I read on the Wiki or something like that, and it said Mab rode around with Merlin that I took Conquer to be Merlin which I could understand if Merlin is simply a really powerful bad ass like Harry but with a few hundred years more experience.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 02:19:45 AM »
The Destroyer is a magical suit of armor in the Marvel comics.

Well if Dresden is one that could bring in an Outsider or Demon, I guess he would be like the armor containing such a being.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »
On the note of William the Conqueror, he was the guy that won the Battle of Hastings and Mab and Titania haven't talked since Hastings.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 11:33:09 AM »
On the note of William the Conqueror, he was the guy that won the Battle of Hastings and Mab and Titania haven't talked since Hastings.
Oh a love triangle... ::)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 12:04:53 PM »
Oh a love triangle... ::)
Probably more that they were backing opposite teams.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 02:07:36 AM »
Yeah, that was mentioned in Peace Talks.  In any case, the "Conqueror" didn't refer to Merlin.

1066 and all that, the Conqueror was William

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 02:13:11 AM »

Didn't Jim say that they had been in love with the same guy and it didn't end well for him?

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 02:16:49 AM »
Didn't Jim say that they had been in love with the same guy and it didn't end well for him?

That guy was Oberon:

Oberon... well, the guy kind of wound up between Mab and Titania in one of those romantic triangle things, back around Shakespeare's day. He didn't make it.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 02:18:04 AM »
That guy was Oberon:

Thank you.  LoL I love how jim said "he didn't make it"

Offline ZhonLord

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 02:26:55 AM »

Perhaps this is why he is a weapon?  Perhaps Starborns are destined to wield this kind of power.  Mortals who can kill gods.

Considering mortals can already kill gods on Halloween and Ethniu's big weapon could do so any time of the year, I think it's safe to say that there's more than one way to bypass immortality if you really want something dead.  That said, I like your theory of it being hellfire and soulfire clashing.  There are many stories where directly-opposite forces contacting each other react in an explosive manner as the two forms reject their antithesis, matter/antimatter as you suggested along with many others.  It's not uncommon, and if the original Merlin was powerful enough to weave this prison in five different times at once then it's hardly a stretch to imagine he could have given Demonreach both forms of power.  Especially since we know the resulting explosion would be on par with a nuke, annihilating Chicago and several miles around it in the process of killing the prisoners.