Author Topic: Battle Grounds and Chandler  (Read 5731 times)

Offline hiddendotgif

• Participant
    • View Profile
Battle Grounds and Chandler
« on: February 10, 2021, 06:16:03 PM »
There have been a couple of different posts on here asking about Chandler and where he ended up during the fight with Drakul.
However, the Dresden Files wiki says he was banished to the Nevernever: " while Chandler was banished to the Nevernever. "
Was there a WoJ that said this, or is this speculation by the writer?
"Be the chaos you want to see in the world" - Mollymauk

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Grounds and Chandler
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »
There have been a couple of different posts on here asking about Chandler and where he ended up during the fight with Drakul.
However, the Dresden Files wiki says he was banished to the Nevernever: " while Chandler was banished to the Nevernever. "
Was there a WoJ that said this, or is this speculation by the writer?

It says this on his character page:

After a short fight, Drakul drops Chandler through a gate to an unknown location. He is presumed dead, but his status is uncertain.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 06:44:44 PM by didymos »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:44:24 PM »
The Dresden Files wiki often says things that aren't confirmed in the texts. They're usually supported by something, but the wiki gets too conclusory on things that aren't conclusive and sometimes things like this that are pretty far from conclusive.

The wiki says that the Unseelie Accords were last updated in 1994. It's unclear if the Accords were updated or established then. They're citation is to SF where it doesn't even talk about the Accords.

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »
I think Chandler's a bad guy working with Drakul. Chandler being sent away through a portal or whatever while others were actually taken prisoner is somewhat telling to me.

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 01:09:36 AM »
I think Chandler's a bad guy working with Drakul. Chandler being sent away through a portal or whatever while others were actually taken prisoner is somewhat telling to me.

Not really. Chandler was done by Drakul, the others by his flunkies. Different methods used by those of different capabilities.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 01:17:12 AM »
On Chandler, his fate is an unknown even for Jim (unless it turns out that "I don't know what'll happen there" is his new default answer when asked a question where every possible answer is a spoiler), he could be anywhere.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline hiddendotgif

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »
okay fair, thanks for the clarification
"Be the chaos you want to see in the world" - Mollymauk

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »
On Chandler, his fate is an unknown even for Jim (unless it turns out that "I don't know what'll happen there" is his new default answer when asked a question where every possible answer is a spoiler), he could be anywhere.

I think we will see Chandler again in Mirror Mirror, he and Harry will save one another, become best buds and he will be Harry's path back to the White Council.

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »
I think we will see Chandler again in Mirror Mirror, he and Harry will save one another, become best buds and he will be Harry's path back to the White Council.

I also get a feeling that Dresden and Chandler will meet again. If not it would feel like something important was left unaddressed.

As for when, where and how, I just don't know I can see so many good ways this could play out. I would like your view to be the right one but I fear Mr Butcher will go for the path that will optimise Harry suffering. Besides, Drakul hated Harry's lack of ''gravitas'' while Chandler has the manners and education to fit the bill. Furthermore, Drakul gave me the impression of being a planning sceamer that could make use of a lone wizard trapped in a dimension of his choosing.

All that said I'm pretty sure Mr Butcher will find an entertaining twist to that story.
He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 02:17:09 AM »

Drakul was apparently looking for new talent?  If so I don't think Chandler would have gone to waste.  May have just put him on ice to turn later
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »
I also get a feeling that Dresden and Chandler will meet again. If not it would feel like something important was left unaddressed.

As for when, where and how, I just don't know I can see so many good ways this could play out. I would like your view to be the right one but I fear Mr Butcher will go for the path that will optimise Harry suffering. Besides, Drakul hated Harry's lack of ''gravitas'' while Chandler has the manners and education to fit the bill. Furthermore, Drakul gave me the impression of being a planning sceamer that could make use of a lone wizard trapped in a dimension of his choosing.

All that said I'm pretty sure Mr Butcher will find an entertaining twist to that story.

Chandler is still a Warden, he wasn't killed, so unless he is already turned or is killed later, Drakul or one of his minions would have to catch him.  I can see Chandler fighting for the resistance in another dimension.  So in Mirror Mirror I can see Harry fighting along side of him to beat the forces of evil.  Then in the end Chandler must chose to either return with Harry or stay where he is and continue the fight.  I can also see if the alternative Harry is evil, Harry telling Chandler to assassinate him, just as Kirk told Spock in the alternative universe to assassinate his evil counterpart, and continue the fight against the evil of the place.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2021, 04:33:16 PM »
Chandler is still a Warden, he wasn't killed, so unless he is already turned or is killed later, Drakul or one of his minions would have to catch him. 

He was sent through a portal to who knows where by Drakul.  After the events happened he still hadn't returned.  If he does return it will be as a Black Court vampire.  I dont see him somehow getting away from wherever Drakul sent him
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 05:18:26 PM »
He was sent through a portal to who knows where by Drakul.  After the events happened he still hadn't returned.  If he does return it will be as a Black Court vampire.  I dont see him somehow getting away from wherever Drakul sent him

We don't know that... If he isn't killed, he cannot be turned into a Black Court Vampire.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
We don't know that... If he isn't killed, he cannot be turned into a Black Court Vampire.

It's true we cannot know for certain, but I mean come on.  Drakul is evil.  His raw power is on par with Mab.  He's more powerful than anyone on the Senior Council, probably all of them combined.  Why should we believe Chandler is anything other than dead, or turned?  He was talented but not exactly a Listens to Wind, or Blackstaff. 

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2021, 06:02:36 PM »
It's true we cannot know for certain, but I mean come on.  Drakul is evil.  His raw power is on par with Mab.  He's more powerful than anyone on the Senior Council, probably all of them combined.  Why should we believe Chandler is anything other than dead, or turned?  He was talented but not exactly a Listens to Wind, or Blackstaff.

Why should we make up what happened?

Drakul is evil and amoral. He tossed Chandler wherever it amused him to do so, if they weren't working together. Chandler does have a rare gift, as a chronomancer. From a Chekov's gun perspective, it seems odd that Jim would WoJ that Chandler had this ability that kept him watched closely by the Senior Council, and then he just disappears when the other Wardens are largely devastated. Seems like he's a waste of pages- poor writing- if that's the case. It's a thin reed, but a reed, that the assumption that Chandler will return is based on.