Author Topic: Killing King Corb  (Read 4172 times)

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Killing King Corb
« on: February 02, 2021, 11:00:11 PM »
I was reflecting on the whole prophecy of King Corb not dying until "the sun lights the bottom of the ocean" and I realized there are several ways that he could bite the bullet:

• Someone pulls a Morgan and drops a Hydrogen Bomb on him.
  • Harry masters gravity magic and combines it with his heat rearranging skills to start nuclear fusion at the bottom of the ocean
  • A Sun God kills him personally (Apollo, Ra, Ekhi, Lugh, someone up that alley)
  • Harry learns how to shapeshift becomes a Giant Mantis Shrimp and punches him in the face. Killing him with Sonoluminescence (this is the least likely but also the funniest to me)

So what do you think? In an era where Mortals can make a backpack lightsaber that gets to 73% of the heat of the sun something tells me this is a situation like the Judge from Buffy. Your invulnerability was impressive but we've moved past that.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Killing King Corb
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 11:40:19 PM »
In a world where Harry can put the sun in a hankie and his use of fire is intimately tied to summer, anything is possible as far as the sun's light reaching the bottom of the ocean.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 11:28:01 PM »
I totally took it as a reference to mortal kind sub launching a nuclear torpedo on him at some point.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 02:22:07 PM »
I totally took it as a reference to mortal kind sub launching a nuclear torpedo on him at some point.

Probably? But given that he just let the mother of a Sun God get taken by Demonreach I felt like Jim may be more creative than that especially given that Morgan did it to a Naagloshi.  Plus it would be funny for a "Deep Sea King" to be taken out in One Punch.

In a world where Harry can put the sun in a hankie and his use of fire is intimately tied to summer, anything is possible as far as the sun's light reaching the bottom of the ocean.

So your take is Summer Fire counts as sunlight? Maybe Luccio or Hannah Ascher could get make plasma at 5778K but have we seen anyone else get that hot?
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »
I was reflecting on the whole prophecy of King Corb not dying until "the sun lights the bottom of the ocean" and I realized there are several ways that he could bite the bullet:

• Someone pulls a Morgan and drops a Hydrogen Bomb on him.
  • Harry masters gravity magic and combines it with his heat rearranging skills to start nuclear fusion at the bottom of the ocean
  • A Sun God kills him personally (Apollo, Ra, Ekhi, Lugh, someone up that alley)
  • Harry learns how to shapeshift becomes a Giant Mantis Shrimp and punches him in the face. Killing him with Sonoluminescence (this is the least likely but also the funniest to me)

So what do you think? In an era where Mortals can make a backpack lightsaber that gets to 73% of the heat of the sun something tells me this is a situation like the Judge from Buffy. Your invulnerability was impressive but we've moved past that.
I've decided to go with the WAG that not only will the Fomor get nuked but it will happen because Listen chooses to bail on the Fomor and arrange for a nuclear strike.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »
So your take is Summer Fire counts as sunlight? Maybe Luccio or Hannah Ascher could get make plasma at 5778K but have we seen anyone else get that hot?
invariably so. Your making a thematic mistake though, it's light of the sun, not light equal to the surface of the sun. It doesn't have to be Sunfire per se. That warm sunny day without clouds.. that sunshine in the cooling rain, can also be sunlight.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
Harry goes down there and kills him.

From SmF
Molly: Did my face look like that when you did that little-ball-of-fire thing to me?
Harry: I prefer to think of it as a little ball of sunshine.

I rest my case.  8)

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 08:16:15 PM »
invariably so. Your making a thematic mistake though, it's light of the sun, not light equal to the surface of the sun. It doesn't have to be Sunfire per se. That warm sunny day without clouds.. that sunshine in the cooling rain, can also be sunlight.

This isn't thematic. It's Mechanical. There are two ways we know of to destroy magical protections:
A) Unravel it using some form of transition that pulls away the magical energy. For example: running water or daylight. If it's the daylight that undoes his protection (which could be part of why Corb was team killing to get to Lake Michigan) than it's the mechanics, not the themes.
B) Overwhelm the protections with a type of energy they can't handle or more energy than they can handle. Fire has been used to great effect both for and against our protagonists, just think about Murphy and the Jotun or the Renfelds with flamethrowers.

Also, if we are talking about themes then what of the theme that "sometimes you are the bad things that happen to bad people" given that Corb is certainly some form of immoral monster you've got to assume that Jim has a more Karmic Death than just a little light.

I'd crack up at that exchange.
Harry goes down there and kills him.

From SmF
Molly: Did my face look like that when you did that little-ball-of-fire thing to me?
Harry: I prefer to think of it as a little ball of sunshine.

I rest my case.  8)
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:23:26 AM »
Summon King korb on Halloween. Y'all can figure out the summoning I don't care how you want to word it. Bring your dream team don't overdo it. Molly Kincaid Goodman Grey River shoulders hell throw in Marcone. Now take Mab at her word that Kirby will live for a long time so this bind his ass and send him to the island.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 05:11:32 AM »
@kloe,
A, it's not a magical protection, it's a prophecy..
B, see A. Also fire magic under literally metric tons of water, probably not too effective.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:48:09 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 06:58:09 AM »
Adding in my idea:
So it is said that he wont die until the sun touches the bottom of the ocean, which to me reads: when our sun dies and in its last stages of yellow sun, it expands into a red sun, thus enveloping all the way out to mars' orbit (or 'roundabouts). Making that about a couple billion years from now.

My solution?
Throw King Corb into a pocket dimension of the Nevernever and lock him away there until such time passes and he's released right as the sun expands. To him it's like no time has passed, yet billions of years go by on the mortal plane. This has been discussed in the DF about the fae doing this to mortals, but only in chunks of a few years to several dozen.

Removes the asshat King Corb from everyones lives, and follows the prophecy.
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline b4utoo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »
So pretty much it could be word play or something that's mess with the property like Nicodemus did. Maybe King Korb himself altered the prophecy to make people think twice about attacking him....

Or it could mean that he won't die till somebody attacks and kills him when the sun sets on the ocean and maybe he has to be in view of it..

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2021, 10:05:53 PM »
it's not a magical protection, it's a prophecy..
I know I was making a bit of a joke with my overly simple argument, but I do think it has some merit based on what The_Sibelis is pointing to here. There's a lot of prophecy and prophecy related tropes out there. One I've seen over and over is when prophecies are "entirely in metaphor, riddles, vagueries, and oblique poetry," as TV Tropes puts it. There's also the trope we've seen Harry adopt, Immune to Fate. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ImmuneToFate

If it comes up, I can see it going a number of ways. Harry objects to the concept of binding prophecies, so he kills Corb anyway. Harry kills Corb in some fashion that meets the requirements of the prophecy in an "unexpected" way. Harry imprisons Corb in Demonreach where he shall remain until the Sun engulfs the Earth, killing Corb as a result.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 02:14:24 AM »
Ohhhh f@#$... You know what has the light of the sun? A nuclear fricken submarine that's what..hadn't even considered the reality behind that until reading your response.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 02:31:48 AM »
The White God brings Moses in for the deed.  Problem solved.