Author Topic: Why is Marcone such a heavy magical hitter?  (Read 15851 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Marcone such a heavy magical hitter?
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2020, 10:39:08 PM »
@Fcrate, a couple of things about that.
I cannot vouch for what a corrupted Marcone could become in the future, but for now, he wouldn't try to do the "repent" thing with the Knights. He is too...honest for that. At least, for now. And in the battle he was on the same side of them, so for now, they have no reason to come directly after him.
Hendricks, yes, I thought the same. Still, Marcone can still die. He is not Nicodemus. Only, it is more difficult to kill him now that he has the coin.
And I did not like the banner thing either, but I don't think is all about hired muscle. I think the people following Marcone Banner were like Harry's, common people that decided they rather fight for their loved ones instead of run.
And I want to know if Marcone's banner was bigger than Harry or not.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2020, 08:04:07 AM »
Before I respond to the quotes below, I just want to say that I'm not getting into the whole, "Why is Marcone such a heavy magical hitter?" argument and its corollary, "Is Jim breaking his own rules?  (Though as I read that scene I did find it somewhat puzzling and maybe even somewhat annoying.)  I'm going to want to see Jim answer a question about this during a future interview or Reddit AMA.  And then I'm going to listen very carefully to his answer, because there are times when Jim can give really clear reasons for something and other times when his answers can be on the fuzzy side.  Now, one reason for Jim to give a fuzzy reply is that he doesn't want to give too much away, especially something that may become important further into the story.  However, in this case, should Jim give a fuzzy answer then I would lean towards the possibility that he is fudging his own rules with Marcone.  That's just something to consider should a future interviewer or Reddit questioner put this question to Jim.

@Fcrate, a couple of things about that.
I cannot vouch for what a corrupted Marcone could become in the future, but for now, he wouldn't try to do the "repent" thing with the Knights. He is too...honest for that. At least, for now. And in the battle he was on the same side of them, so for now, they have no reason to come directly after him.

My feelings exactly.

Hendricks, yes, I thought the same.

I hate to say this, but my guess is Mr. Hendricks was killed off as a writing convenience rather than as a logical part of the story; and I don't really like that, because (on the second reading) it felt somewhat artificial to me.  The writing convenience is pretty simple.  Marcone doesn't need a bodyguard any longer.  In fact, other than as a liaison to Vadderung / Odin, Marcone doesn't need Ms. Gard around either. 

Here's one example of Hendricks' death that would have been a logical part of the story.  Mr. Hendricks reacts badly when he finds out his boss is working with a fallen angel.  (I'm assuming he didn't know.  And yes, we all know that Hendricks was already working with a mass murderer, but even violent criminals can be believers and regular church goers.)  When Mr. Hendricks finds out and objects to Marcone's new business partner, Marcone kills him in reply; showing us that Thorned Namshiel is now in the driver's seat and making the major decisions.  However, that would be more feasible in a series of novels called "The Rise and Fall of Gentleman John Marcone," but John Marcone is not the focus of the story.  So, it's much easier for Jim to strip down Marcone and make him a direct threat in his own right, rather than have him rely on hired muscle and Ms. Gard's potentially wonky magical weapons.   
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 08:06:34 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2020, 08:15:17 AM »
I am 100% sure that Namshiel is not in the driver's seat for now. Marcone wouldn't kill Hendricks. But it is true that the scene felt a little artificial, with Marcone not even blinking. But...apparently there is a WoJ that we should keep reading that he said when talking about Murph's death. Perhaps there is something planned on Hendricks too.
And yes, I know I am reiterative, but in Monsters, it is weird that Grey talks about the Eihenjaren bodyguard, no mention of Hendricks. Perhaps there is some foreshadowing or something else.

I know it has been discussed how catholic Murphy can be an eihenjar. Was Hendricks a catholic too? I think so. Perhaps they both have an special treatment.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2020, 09:37:32 AM »
I hate to say this, but my guess is Mr. Hendricks was killed off as a writing convenience rather than as a logical part of the story; and I don't really like that, because (on the second reading) it felt somewhat artificial to me.  The writing convenience is pretty simple.  Marcone doesn't need a bodyguard any longer.  In fact, other than as a liaison to Vadderung / Odin, Marcone doesn't need Ms. Gard around either. 

Here's one example of Hendricks' death that would have been a logical part of the story.  Mr. Hendricks reacts badly when he finds out his boss is working with a fallen angel.  (I'm assuming he didn't know.  And yes, we all know that Hendricks was already working with a mass murderer, but even violent criminals can be believers and regular church goers.)  When Mr. Hendricks finds out and objects to Marcone's new business partner, Marcone kills him in reply; showing us that Thorned Namshiel is now in the driver's seat and making the major decisions.  However, that would be more feasible in a series of novels called "The Rise and Fall of Gentleman John Marcone," but John Marcone is not the focus of the story.  So, it's much easier for Jim to strip down Marcone and make him a direct threat in his own right, rather than have him rely on hired muscle and Ms. Gard's potentially wonky magical weapons.   
My guess on why Hendricks died is to match Murphy dying.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2020, 04:44:08 PM »
I am 100% sure that Namshiel is not in the driver's seat for now.
Harry would have detected it if Marcone was just a sock puppet but Marcone leaning on Namshiel’s magic is entirely possible.

Marcone wouldn't kill Hendricks. But it is true that the scene felt a little artificial, with Marcone not even blinking. But...apparently there is a WoJ that we should keep reading that he said when talking about Murph's death. Perhaps there is something planned on Hendricks too.
And yes, I know I am reiterative, but in Monsters, it is weird that Grey talks about the Eihenjaren bodyguard, no mention of Hendricks. Perhaps there is some foreshadowing or something else.
For Grey Hendricks was just a normal human and Marcone has many of them.
I know it has been discussed how catholic Murphy can be an eihenjar. Was Hendricks a catholic too? I think so. Perhaps they both have an special treatment.
You an do a lot of business during lunch with Uriel. You just need an invitation.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »
Harry would have detected it if Marcone was just a sock puppet but Marcone leaning on Namshiel’s magic is entirely possible.

Possible, but I think Marcone is leaning on Namshiel's magic 100%.  I also think for the moment it is to Namshiel's advantage to let Marcone call the shots, not unlike Nic and Andriel.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2020, 08:10:21 PM »
I think a big problem is - we have trouble comparing powers.

Anduriel is able to listen to ANY shadow. ANY. Meanwhile Namshiel is able to spin up some ponystyle shields and a very complex but maybe not that power-using teleportation.

Who's the stronger fallen angel there? No idea.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2020, 09:34:18 PM »
I think a big problem is - we have trouble comparing powers.

Anduriel is able to listen to ANY shadow. ANY. Meanwhile Namshiel is able to spin up some ponystyle shields and a very complex but maybe not that power-using teleportation.

Who's the stronger fallen angel there? No idea.

I don't think strength of the Fallen Angel is the issue, I think it more of the agenda of said Fallen Angel.   I seem to remember, I think it was Michael who said Nic, or whoever was in charge of tempting with the coins would match the Fallen with the personality of the host, making manipulation much easier.  Battle of Chicago, Marcone at the end of the day loves Chicago, so
he'd go along with Namshiel's plans with no problem.  At some point though I wonder if he will balk like Harry eventually did? 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »
Well for better or worse, Marcone is a Sorcerer as well as a Denarian. Gard is apparently going to be a smokescreen now, since he doesn't need her for the purpose that she existed for and her romance is dead. And Marcone now has a really ugly avatar, Spiney Boy. I guess the Marcone story line is feature complete.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2020, 12:44:13 AM »
My guess on why Hendricks died is to match Murphy dying.

That too.  However, unless we get some future exposition from Marcone about the importance of his relationship with Mr. Hendricks; something about loyalty and that Mr. Hendricks was the only person Marcone fully trusted, then Murphy's death is of more importance and a much bigger loss to Harry.  For now, I'm seeing Mr. Hendricks' death as no more than the loss of a highly competent and reliable employee for Marcone. 

Perhaps at a later date we will find out it was more.  One more thing that isolated Marcone and nudged him further in the direction of relying on Thorned Namshiel.  I think Marcone is headed for a big fall, and that is why I see this as a possibility.

I don't think strength of the Fallen Angel is the issue, I think it more of the agenda of said Fallen Angel.   I seem to remember, I think it was Michael who said Nic, or whoever was in charge of tempting with the coins would match the Fallen with the personality of the host, making manipulation much easier.  Battle of Chicago, Marcone at the end of the day loves Chicago, so
he'd go along with Namshiel's plans with no problem.  At some point though I wonder if he will balk like Harry eventually did?

Really?  I suppose it's possible, but based on his previous words and actions I think John Marcone is a perfect example of "The Territorial Imperative" (book by Robert Audrey) in action.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:00:00 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
Hendricks died... Because when Harry storms Valhalla for murphy's soul he's gonna need some inside help from gard.

Funnily, as I see Marcone as king Arthur that would make hendricks and gard Lancelot and Guin.. think this is a turning point for Gard to want to topple his kingdom.(oh but there are a few variations of course.. )

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2020, 10:04:58 PM »
Really?  I suppose it's possible, but based on his previous words and actions I think John Marcone is a perfect example of "The Territorial Imperative" (book by Robert Audrey) in action.

Maybe, but I think Marcone sees things his own way for his own gain.  So far the partnership has worked out that way, but it may not always do that.  No, Marcone isn't going to break away or try to on moral grounds, but because he does like to have things his way.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2020, 10:17:45 PM »
Hendricks died... Because when Harry storms Valhalla for murphy's soul he's gonna need some inside help from gard.
I actually like that  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »
I actually like that  :)
Please no... They would be.... Ugh.
On topic, I still have no explanation why Namshiel can sling so much power around using a "plain old vanilla" man like Harry describes Marcone. If the Fallen could do that then they'll not need any practitioners to carry them around. Supposedly, most what they can do is teaching techniques and turbo boost using Hellfire, so the energy isn't coming from them, but from the host. Remember that Tessa was described as a sorceress. With presumably centuries of tutoring from Namshiel. Still, her combat repertoire was quite limited. Harry soulgazed Marcone and shook his hand. Nothing.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2020, 03:26:25 AM »
Please no... They would be.... Ugh.
On topic, I still have no explanation why Namshiel can sling so much power around using a "plain old vanilla" man like Harry describes Marcone. If the Fallen could do that then they'll not need any practitioners to carry them around. Supposedly, most what they can do is teaching techniques and turbo boost using Hellfire, so the energy isn't coming from them, but from the host. Remember that Tessa was described as a sorceress. With presumably centuries of tutoring from Namshiel. Still, her combat repertoire was quite limited. Harry soulgazed Marcone and shook his hand. Nothing.
One answer could be that all humans have the battery but that all humans have different wiring that determines how the individual taps the battery, the birthright part.  Namshiel ability might be in being able to put in temporary jumpers to connect to the battery.