Author Topic: The Accords, the Council, and Harry  (Read 5606 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The Accords, the Council, and Harry
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
@Wicked Woodpecker of West

Call it a pet Titan if you want, Jim muddies the water so much that what he chooses to call what makes little difference. He  can call out the Titan if he wishes. So says Battle Ground. And he could maybe call out any critter in Demonreach. Did we read the same book?

The break in was at my home in the early 80's and they pawed around in my wife's underwear drawer.  They also stole a fifth of Vodka, eight Big Reds, and let my dog out. This is where I took the phrase from.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
The Winter Knight also joining as a freeholding lord would be kind of a balance issue with Summer.

*Maybe* the Paranet could sign, with him and Elaine as heads, but the Paranet doesn't have a whole lot of street cred for fighting ability outside of Harry himself, considering Elaine has been sandbagging to keep her true ability secret. The organization signing the accords might attract attention from challengers, and that would put the little fish in exactly the kind of danger the Paranet is supposed to help them avoid.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 07:06:56 PM »
Harry is better of as wjnter knight than as freeholding lord
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 07:14:06 PM »
Well, if the Baron can join forces with a Denarian, I am sure a freeholding lord can be the WK too. The only reason I see him doing that, though, is precisely so JB can stress the parallels between Harry and Marcone. But I don't think this is going to happen soon.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »
The Winter Knight also joining as a freeholding lord would be kind of a balance issue with Summer.
Only if he does so as the Winter Knight.

But I don't think this [Harry joining the Accords as a freeholding lord] is going to happen soon.
I was going to object based on Harry's thoughts that he needs to build something like Marcone has so he can defend Chicago, but he doesn't have to join the Accords to build up a force to be reckoned with.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2020, 07:45:47 PM »
Well, if the Baron can join forces with a Denarian, I am sure a freeholding lord can be the WK too. The only reason I see him doing that, though, is precisely so JB can stress the parallels between Harry and Marcone. But I don't think this is going to happen soon.

It's not like Marcone asked Mab's blessing to take up the coin. Even then though, there was no double membership issue since the Denarians were out by then.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2020, 07:52:11 PM »
I thought only Nicodemus has been kicked out.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »
I thought only Nicodemus has been kicked out.
It's unclear even who was a member of the Accords, let alone who got kicked out.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2020, 09:15:28 PM »
It's unclear even who was a member of the Accords, let alone who got kicked out.
He was, the plot in Small Favor was build on it. He is not. That also was a logical concusion of small favor and confirmed in skin game.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2020, 09:47:38 PM »
He was, the plot in Small Favor was build on it. He is not.
Was Nicodemus a member of the Accords or were the Denarians? I'm saying it's unclear how he was a member. Personally or as part of a group.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2020, 10:08:50 PM »
I think the Denarians in group were members, but I don't think they would kick everyone for what Nic did, so I understood that is something as if the Denarians had rejected Nic. There is a word in English that can't find now but it is something like when a father abjures of one of his children, so they are no longer his heirs.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2020, 10:21:50 PM »
Call it a pet Titan if you want, Jim muddies the water so much that what he chooses to call what makes little difference. He  can call out the Titan if he wishes. So says Battle Ground. And he could maybe call out any critter in Demonreach. Did we read the same book?

Ah, this one! OK, I'm owned. I'd never ever consider to call Ethniu and Alfred's menagerie as pet gods ;)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2020, 12:53:01 AM »

*Maybe* the Paranet could sign, with him and Elaine as heads, but the Paranet doesn't have a whole lot of street cred for fighting ability outside of Harry himself, considering Elaine has been sandbagging to keep her true ability secret. The organization signing the accords might attract attention from challengers, and that would put the little fish in exactly the kind of danger the Paranet is supposed to help them avoid.

This is an idea that has been brought up, off and on, going way back.  OK, lets say Harry and Elaine are the recognized heads of the Paranet.  Assume that at some future date Elaine's actual magical ability level is seen by someone on the Council.  Most likely it will be Carlos.  Then the Paranet starts to look like a competing organization for wizards who don't want to be a part of the White Council and that it only takes in lower talents as a smokescreen.  In other words, it starts to look like a Black Council.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2020, 01:57:51 AM »

On that note:

Priscellie: What would the Paranet have to do to be considered a big enough body to sign the accords? And this is from poly? granada?

Jim: Oh they'd have to win some fights, is what they'd have to do. At the end of the day, in the supernatural world, among the various political powers, what gets you respect is the ability to thrash them. And if you can do that then they have to take you seriously because if they don't then you can thrash them. So that would be what they would really have to do, it would be something, a very difficult thing for them to do. It'd take an awful lot of coordination and leadership so it would take an awful extreme situation for something like that to come together. And I can't imagine where in the Dresden Files universe an extreme situation like that might exist *smirks and lifts mug while Priscellie laughs*.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2020, 02:48:29 AM »
I think the Denarians in group were members, but I don't think they would kick everyone for what Nic did, so I understood that is something as if the Denarians had rejected Nic. There is a word in English that can't find now but it is something like when a father abjures of one of his children, so they are no longer his heirs.
Disinherit, excommunicate, shun, ostracize, disown?

One time I had the Spanish vocab word "frustrar" and couldn't recall the English word. The irony was not lost on me.