Author Topic: Nemesis [BG SPOILERS]  (Read 6067 times)

Offline hiddendotgif

• Participant
    • View Profile
Nemesis [BG SPOILERS]
« on: November 12, 2020, 04:40:09 PM »
Has anyone made the connection of Nemesis being named after a Greek deity of retribution (revenge)?
Born of Nyx (Night), Nemesis is the goddess of retribution against those who succumb to hubris (arrogance before the gods)

IIRC, we saw with Ethniu, one of the olden gods, that she was angry at the mortal world and those who sided with them

We have seen many Greek before - Hades, Hecate
"Be the chaos you want to see in the world" - Mollymauk

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Nemesis [BG SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:22:52 PM »
Has anyone made the connection of Nemesis being named after a Greek deity of retribution (revenge)?
Born of Nyx (Night), Nemesis is the goddess of retribution against those who succumb to hubris (arrogance before the gods)

IIRC, we saw with Ethniu, one of the olden gods, that she was angry at the mortal world and those who sided with them

Several of us did, but so far it has been hard to find a good connection. Yes, you are right about Ethniu, but she isn't Nemesis.

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 12:51:49 AM »
But Nemesis is not Nemesis - it's not it's real name.
Olympian Gods were real, so I doubt there is more here than using Nemesis in popular sense.

Unless... there was a WOJ - Olympians held Outer Gates before Winter - am I right?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 02:13:48 AM »

yep, there's a whole theory thread I made on this in the reference section I made back when I was wizard Nelson. Nemesis IS Nemesis... Although calling her nortia might be more accurate. The etruscan version of Nemesis.
Nemesis IS its name btw, or at least a mask of it. Hence why saying it can draw it's attention but saying adversary it's role does not.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 02:19:13 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 03:39:35 AM »
So if Nemesis is from the Greek Pantheon, what would that mean exactly?  That part; or a single member, of that pantheon was tainted in some unknown way and was cast out of this reality and then spawned the rest of the Outsiders, or took them over if they were already an existing entity in their own universe, and now wants back in with what are either her children or new friends?
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 03:45:59 AM »
So if Nemesis is from the Greek Pantheon, what would that mean exactly?  That part; or a single member, of that pantheon was tainted in some unknown way and was cast out of this reality and then spawned the rest of the Outsiders, or took them over if they were already an existing entity in their own universe, and now wants back in with what are either her children or new friends?
I think most of the Greek pantheon fell to corruption yes. And became known as their new persona's in the Roman version. Harry's talk with Hades touches on the idea. An so does the soul gaze with Thomas actually imo.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 04:39:56 PM »

It's possible real Nemesis was also tainted by Adversary once upon a time.

Or if we take more Pratchettian and less Abrahamic vision of Metaphysics - maybe if White God took over as main honcho (not being real Creator but more assuming this mantle due to Abrahamic religions dominations) he forced pagan gods to resign and stop meddling in mortal affairs. But some of them rejected - flew through Outer gates and become a Walkers. This can explain why Walkers are most suitable Outsiders to dwell in this world. Beside is real Nemesis, Behind is of course Euridica, and so on XD

This may also mean Wrestler Olympians Book won't be just quirky funny sidequest before BAT but big important infodump.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 09:26:18 PM »
It's possible real Nemesis was also tainted by Adversary once upon a time.

Or if we take more Pratchettian and less Abrahamic vision of Metaphysics - maybe if White God took over as main honcho (not being real Creator but more assuming this mantle due to Abrahamic religions dominations) he forced pagan gods to resign and stop meddling in mortal affairs. But some of them rejected - flew through Outer gates and become a Walkers. This can explain why Walkers are most suitable Outsiders to dwell in this world. Beside is real Nemesis, Behind is of course Euridica, and so on XD
It's been suggested that the Outsiders are just obliviated insiders. Maybe in the DF Nemesis was obliviated. I think it's a stretch, but Harry never mentions the similarity between Outsider Nemesis and Greek Nemesis.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 02:10:03 AM »
I'm not sure if Old Gods from Oblivion Wars are the same as Outsiders.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 07:58:59 AM »
It's been suggested that the Outsiders are just obliviated insiders. Maybe in the DF Nemesis was obliviated. I think it's a stretch, but Harry never mentions the similarity between Outsider Nemesis and Greek Nemesis.
I don't think they're oblivated, I think they're things we're trying to oblivate. Thing's we've intentionally forgotten most of their identities to keep them from having power here. But also things whose identies were taken from them but who are not yet forgotten.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 10:16:45 PM »
Me either, but the obliviated are somewhere, and Outsiders, I think it was HWWBefore, have stated that they want to return to reality or some such thing.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 10:32:09 PM »
Me either, but the obliviated are somewhere, and Outsiders, I think it was HWWBefore, have stated that they want to return to reality or some such thing.

But then HWWBeside claim they desire utter oblivion of reality and Empty Night, that is quite different purpose from some ancient monster-gods who used to be worship and walk among trembling mortals.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 05:29:15 AM »
Especially since most of those guys are supposed to just be out in the NN, just cut off from the mortal world.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline K.L.O.E.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
I don't think they're oblivated, I think they're things we're trying to oblivate. Thing's we've intentionally forgotten most of their identities to keep them from having power here. But also things whose identies were taken from them but who are not yet forgotten.

Wouldn't they just end up as formless monsters in the Never never and still be vulnerable to normal magic?  The ability of Mordite, Olympian Bronze, and the Walkers themselves to eat magic and ignore damage is unlike anything else that's shown up in the series.
Kyle Lowry
Everything

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
Wouldn't they just end up as formless monsters in the Never never and still be vulnerable to normal magic?  The ability of Mordite, Olympian Bronze, and the Walkers themselves to eat magic and ignore damage is unlike anything else that's shown up in the series.
nope, they're holding on by their most basic names and identity.. so basic they have to take little scraps of creation to make a body of their own.
Oh, and olympian bronze... Is part of reality. Though lumping them together is accurate, it's really all about will power. Reality is so foreign to them it has trouble interacting.