Poll

Who would you like to see Harry married to?

Mab
4 (12.1%)
Molly
7 (21.2%)
Lara
8 (24.2%)
Elaine
4 (12.1%)
Sarrisa
0 (0%)
Nobody He's got the Kirk Curse
10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: October 17, 2020, 01:25:08 AM

Author Topic: Who should Harry marry  (Read 18251 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Who should Harry marry
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2020, 04:31:27 AM »
Molly is the logical candidate for Harry, if she became mortal again.  However, I have a feeling that while Harry is getting himself out of the Winter Knight's job, Molly will make the choice to remain an immortal.  It's mostly just a feeling, but Molly has said that her work as the Winter Lady is important.  I can't picture Molly running away from her responsibilities unless there was someone ready to jump into the jump.  I suppose Lea could do the job, but that doesn't feel right to me either.  (Even if I ignore the possible virginity element to the job.)

I think it may hinge on the outcome of the BAT.  It may bring about a whole new order to the universe.  In the universe Molly could be free to go, or marry.  But who knows what Harry's feelings will be by then?  Or Molly's feelings for that matter. 

One question is will Harry ever be mature enough to have a decent relationship with any woman? 
By that, I mean there was an element of "mommy" in both Susan and Murphy.  There is a part of Harry that wants to be mothered, perhaps because he never had one, and the "sage" advice both women gave Harry filled that void.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2020, 04:45:34 AM »
Molly is the logical candidate for Harry, if she became mortal again.  However, I have a feeling that while Harry is getting himself out of the Winter Knight's job, Molly will make the choice to remain an immortal.  It's mostly just a feeling, but Molly has said that her work as the Winter Lady is important.  I can't picture Molly running away from her responsibilities unless there was someone ready to jump into the jump.  I suppose Lea could do the job, but that doesn't feel right to me either.  (Even if I ignore the possible virginity element to the job.)
Or if Mab dies.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2020, 07:03:42 AM »

Virginity isn't an issue. While we don't know Sarrisa's status in that, Lily wasn't. She was raped by Slate.

Otherwise I agree with this. I have had the feeling too that Harry and Molly will be separated. Harry will stumble and bumble his way out of the WK gig and Molly will be left behind. Or she will use her favor with Harry to make him leave her behind. Then, eventually she will be forced out and Lacuna will become the new WL. Right now she looks to be the only logical candidate. With the WK gig going to Thomas or Toot Toot
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
Molly is the logical candidate for Harry, if she became mortal again.  However, I have a feeling that while Harry is getting himself out of the Winter Knight's job, Molly will make the choice to remain an immortal.  It's mostly just a feeling, but Molly has said that her work as the Winter Lady is important.  I can't picture Molly running away from her responsibilities unless there was someone ready to jump into her current position.  I suppose Lea could do the job, but that doesn't feel right to me either.  (Even if I ignore the possible virginity element to the job.)   

I have feeling Faerie Courts shall be destroyed by end of BAT, so while Molly will survive - mantle of Winter Lady shall not. (Nor Mothers nor Mab).
And that will also of course free Harry from Winter Knight.

No Winter Court, no Winter Court responsibilities.
Black Court of Vampires shall be blackmailed (sic!) to guard Outer Gates in new age, so they shall get a free hand in robbing graveyards from bodies, but won't be able to prey on mankind as much ;)

One question is will Harry ever be mature enough to have a decent relationship with any woman?
By that, I mean there was an element of "mommy" in both Susan and Murphy.  There is a part of Harry that wants to be mothered, perhaps because he never had one, and the "sage" advice both women gave Harry filled that void.

Was it with Susan? I had a feeling she was quite a dummy at least in first trilogy. (I'd say that could definitely be a thing with Luccio though).
But then Dresden's lifestyle so far never sort of lead to him having relationship beyond dating, that's another question. (Which is another reason I wished Mursden was longer a thing.)

With the WK gig going to Thomas or Toot Toot

Within current rules Toot Toot cannot become WK

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
As per Mab's reasoning for Thomas to take over the WK mantle, he loves, that's human enough.

And part WoJ, all of Fairie has a bit of mortal life in them, some more than others. Toot has the potential to be the WK.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2020, 08:29:00 PM »
Was it with Susan? I had a feeling she was quite a dummy at least in first trilogy. (I'd say that could definitely be a thing with Luccio though).
But then Dresden's lifestyle so far never sort of lead to him having relationship beyond dating, that's another question. (Which is another reason I wished Mursden was longer a thing.)

Susan wasn't a dummy, but her ambition over ruled her brains.  But yeah, Harry had a dependency on her that gave me that feeling.  Very true as far as his lifestyle goes, but that is why Molly would ultimately be the best partner for him, she understands where he is coming from being a wizard, herself.   I don't think Murphy ever fully understood Harry, and yes, you can love someone but not understand them.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
To be honest, I did not feel the "mommy" element with Susan.

Molly is not the only option, Eleaine still exists. Also, who wants to bet we are going to meet a sassy Librarian woman soon?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
As per Mab's reasoning for Thomas to take over the WK mantle, he loves, that's human enough.

I mean White Vampires have genuine human souls just with extra-stuff, so I guess it counts.

And part WoJ, all of Fairie has a bit of mortal life in them, some more than others. Toot has the potential to be the WK.

But true Fae would be forbidden to interact with mortals. Wizard or whampire is not.

Very true as far as his lifestyle goes, but that is why Molly would ultimately be the best partner for him, she understands where he is coming from being a wizard, herself.   I don't think Murphy ever fully understood Harry, and yes, you can love someone but not understand them.

Dunno. I must say I don't think Dresden is that complicated after all.
I mean there would be consequences probably both of them prefered to ignore at least for some time.

But yeah, Harry had a dependency on her that gave me that feeling.

Dependency?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »
Molly is not the only option, Eleaine still exists.
Team Elaine forever! At least until they get back together and she betrays Harry because she makes the most sense as Kumori and is still on the Black Council even though she's not working directly with Cowl anymore.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2020, 11:11:24 PM »
I don't actually like the ship, I am only saying that it's possible, and perhaps is in JB vision. Personally, like Lara as a partner, and a second viable option is Marcone  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
I don't think Harry and Elaine is likely because of how seldom she's involved in the story. I've just always liked their chemistry on the page, and they have a shared history and then a somewhat parallel history.

I do like the idea of Harry marrying Lara and being forced to work with her in a very political marriage in which the marriage is treated as such. I don't think I'd like it if they developed into a loving (but less than True Love) couple. I wouldn't mind if they had some affection for one another, but not a lot.