Author Topic: Poor Harry - Jim you cruel man. Lol  (Read 15669 times)

Offline jimpruitt

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Poor Harry - Jim you cruel man. Lol
« on: October 23, 2020, 09:21:45 PM »
Going back and rereading tonight. But holy hell Jim took almost so much from Harry this time, friends, White Council and Murphy. Never mind the arranged marriage. Which we all know he will never follow through with this .
Overall great read but now I want MORE. What do y'all think.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Harry - Jim you cruel man. Lol
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »
More or less the same than you  :). Besides, Harry already had to deal with Susan and with the pain about Luccio, so really, what happened with Murphy is too much.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 01:02:10 AM »
Yeah, as I said in another thread, Murphy was more then just his lover.  This is a huge loss for him.  Even if they had never connected romantically, it would still be just as big of loss.  Only the regret of not trying to connect in that way heaped on top of it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 05:14:20 AM »
Yeah, as I said in another thread, Murphy was more then just his lover.  This is a huge loss for him.  Even if they had never connected romantically, it would still be just as big of loss.  Only the regret of not trying to connect in that way heaped on top of it.

Yes, but losing Murphy is just the tip of the ice berg, being kicked out of the White Council is a huge loss for him.  Yes, he has always had a problem with them ever since he appeared in front of them with a hood over his head at sixteen.  But in spite of living under the Doom like he did, he identified with the White Council, that is who he was, a wizard of the White Council. His brother has been taken from him, and he isn't going to come back soon. How many straws will it take to break the camel's back?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 12:16:47 PM by Mira »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 05:49:41 AM »
I hope in next book Harry finds a good few moments. Like the moment of Butters and Sayers sparring in Michael's backyard. He needs some time with the Alphas, perhaps a beer with Mac, and, as I always say, a few words with Ivy. Those things with meant a lot for Harry and they would be good for us as readers, I believe.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
I hope in next book Harry finds a good few moments. Like the moment of Butters and Sayers sparring in Michael's backyard. He needs some time with the Alphas, perhaps a beer with Mac, and, as I always say, a few words with Ivy. Those things with meant a lot for Harry and they would be good for us as readers, I believe.

I don't think the words will ever be said with Ivy, because she has made her decision.  She learned a painful lesson from Harry and Kincaid, loving friends leaves you vulnerable to being hurt by them.  With her power and knowledge, any more of that will lead to her insanity, like Luccio tried to explain to Harry way back in Small Favor. 

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 12:50:30 PM »
I think Jim is ultimately too softball with too simple moral views to leave it that way.
Sure he will torture his characters, give them hard time - but in the end friendship, family and moralistic therapeutic deism shall prevail.
So of course now Ivy has to be all angry, so they can reconnect later.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »
I think Jim is ultimately too softball with too simple moral views to leave it that way.
Sure he will torture his characters, give them hard time - but in the end friendship, family and moralistic therapeutic deism shall prevail.
So of course now Ivy has to be all angry, so they can reconnect later.

Or not..

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
Maybe. But after 17 books I tend to believe that under all this Warhammer Grimdark, he's big soft "Friendship is magic" brony ;)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
Well, Harry is  :).
I hope you are right, WWW. I don't care if it is cheesy, I like it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 12:32:49 PM »
Maybe. But after 17 books I tend to believe that under all this Warhammer Grimdark, he's big soft "Friendship is magic" brony ;)
Warrior pretty much spelled that out, no?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »
We will see, I still say Harry should have used his ever present chalk to leave a snowflake cutie mark on Mab’s Unicorn, before returning it.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Well, Harry is  :).
I hope you are right, WWW. I don't care if it is cheesy, I like it.

I mean I doubt Butcher would develop Dresden / Archive friendship to just sort of dissolve it into - she's angry on him for killing himself stuff

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 12:27:27 PM »
I mean I doubt Butcher would develop Dresden / Archive friendship to just sort of dissolve it into - she's angry on him for killing himself stuff
Which means that that confrontation is coming on screen since we've been promised more Ivy plot content.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
Which means that that confrontation is coming on screen since we've been promised more Ivy plot content.

I can see  Harry going through a type of "Twelve Step" process sort of like A.A.  Harry needs to make amends to those he has wronged.  He didn't intend to hurt Ivy, he didn't think of her when he decided to take his own life and involve others in the process.  So he has to apologia to her, it may be difficult if she is in full Archive mode, so it will be interesting.  He also has to apologize to Kincaid for involving him.. Which will come as a huge shock to Kincaid, who as a mercenary/assassin supposedly wouldn't care as long as he got paid.  However I believe Kincaid does care about Ivy. Repairing that relationship might pave the way to Kincaid giving Harry insight into his father, who is rumored to be Drakul.  This could be critical in the BAT to come.