Author Topic: White Court clothing [BG Spoilers]  (Read 5510 times)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: White Court clothing [BG Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »
Spoilers!!!

Soldiers Live was published in 2001. I'm gonna count that as past spoiler date.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2020, 04:51:30 PM »
Quote from: vincentric link=topic=53873.msg2337283#msg2337283 date=16030
[quote author=morriswalters link=topic=53873.msg2337270#msg2337270 date=1603028209
It isn't clear.  She trades a favor for the gift.  She doesn't seem to be able to give him anything without that trade. But the armor looks to be a product of her enchantments. The fight at the dock is what called back the memory of the passage.  The two effects are pretty much the same. He's doing in the fight what the robe is doing for Lara.  The difference is in the degree.  Lara's robe functions are simpler as compared to the ring and the suit. I had asked early what Lara's first favor was. And it looks like this was it.
The suit does seem to be manufactured by her, based on his comments about it being worked with his own spells, just like he would have taught her.  But the uniqueness of the Raith shrouds is the mobility and independent action, which are not his spells and his suit did not exhibit.

Also, her first favor was asking to date Harry. So if Winter had any hand in making the suits, it'd be as a separate and unmentioned deal.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2020, 06:18:39 PM »
Griff, I agree about Lara's first favor (Gosh, I would like to know what Lara did to win 3 favors. She used her mind, says Mab. And Lara told Eb that she had worked some visas for Mab's people. There is an interesting story there).

The first time I read the book I assumed that Harry has asked Molly for both the suit and the ring but I am currently rereading PT, and when they make the deal, Molly says that she would do "your toy". Singular word. So I don't know.
Perhaps Molly manage to do the suit without incurring in obligation just as government gave policemen uniforms and weapons. It's supposed to be done by the "contractor" not the employee. Instead, a ring would be more like if the employee was paying for an update with their own money. But I may be wrong, it's just a theory.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2020, 07:28:58 PM »
The suit does seem to be manufactured by her, based on his comments about it being worked with his own spells, just like he would have taught her.  But the uniqueness of the Raith shrouds is the mobility and independent action, which are not his spells and his suit did not exhibit.

Also, her first favor was asking to date Harry. So if Winter had any hand in making the suits, it'd be as a separate and unmentioned deal.
So it was an upgrade. Or not.  But it's where I would hang my hat, if I had one.  You seem to be right on the favors. However I'm calling foul on Jim.  In the back of the car Mab says she's already agreed to the first favor.  At the end of Battleground she says the third favor is granted.
“She has indicated that she wishes to collect upon these favors,” Mab said. “I have already agreed to one.

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 54). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
“Excellent,” said Mab from behind us. “Lady Lara, upon due consideration, your third favor is granted.

Butcher, Jim. Battle Ground (Dresden Files) (p. 388). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Which the **** is it? That's a rhetorical to Jim, not you.