Author Topic: White Court clothing [BG Spoilers]  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: White Court clothing [BG Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 10:09:47 PM »
I imagined it more like a symbiont, like Venom, only white.
That's probably like how it functions, but not how it looks.  But part of the question is, are the clothes sentient? Or is it just magical programming?  And what power source?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2020, 10:18:51 PM »
More "flowy", yes. I think I've seen a comic book woman wearing something like that, covering even her face, but I can't remember where.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 10:52:45 PM »
More "flowy", yes. I think I've seen a comic book woman wearing something like that, covering even her face, but I can't remember where.
I feel like it's a common trope but I'm not seeing the things I'm thinking of.

The White Court is Etruscan in origin, it is the language they choose to converse in. The Etruscan’s had their own version of the Fates,  same beings different names to the Greek.

What if the cloth was a gift from the Fates? A Ravelling as opposed to an unravelling. Given that The Queens of Faerie are inheritors of the Greek Fates (amongst others) it may explain what Winter wants with an alliance with the White Court, they are revisiting an old association. Oh and the God of War in the Etruscan Pantheon, the Ares equivalent is  Laran.

I think that the White Court arise out of something that happened in relation to Erus (Eros) and Psyche,  the original Whamp being a scion of them or their daughter Volupta/Hedone corrupted somehow. Psyche is depicted with butterfly wings (Psyche is Greek for butterfly) it’s no accident that is how we see Thomas depicted in Grave Peril.
I've had a hard time finding anything specific to Etruscan or Roman mythology, but there's one thing that might be quasi-relevant. 

The Velificatio effect.

In the real world, it's just an artist's stylistic device used to denote divinity or royalty.  It means "vigorous movement," or "the vault of heaven," both of which would be good to describe mobile garments made to defend the wearer.

Maybe in the Dresdenverse the motif and name was inspired by real fabric that powerful beings possessed.  And as the White Court royalty, House Raith acquired some?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 11:14:05 PM »
Oh, I like that
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2020, 11:22:54 PM »
JB is a big Black Company fan and clothes like these were a big part of the last series of Black Company books. The main character even killed the Big Bad by pushing a bomb next to her while being wrapped in 3 layers of it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2020, 11:27:43 PM »
I've never heard of that, but sounds about right.

I am thinking is like if your clothes were made of Spawn's cape  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »
JB is a big Black Company fan and clothes like these were a big part of the last series of Black Company books. The main character even killed the Big Bad by pushing a bomb next to her while being wrapped in 3 layers of it.
Spoilers!!!

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 12:06:18 AM »
LOL! I thought the same  :P
Missing you, Md 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 12:53:00 AM »
But I could see him using that as an inspiration. I haven't read TBC past the first trilogy, but knowing his interest in it, I'm half expecting Mirror Mirror to be a world like TBC, with some regions of Earth controlled by risen old gods and demons.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 02:03:50 AM »
It might not have been Dresden Files.
Having just watched Doctor Strange again, it reminds me of his cloak of levitation.

I'm wondering if they're doing the same with the cloth, imbuing it with some spirit creature similar to Bob but not in his class.
Well, Bob did do it with Harry's duster for Butters.

And depending on the level of cooperation, would Harry do the same with his duster to make it similar to Strange's cloak of levitation?
Lol.

the Dresdenverse has so far constituted movement and reaction with intelligent sentient beings.
There are Mai's temple dog statues. It can be done, but I'm guessing it's very high level stuff.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:58 AM »
I can't say how the clothes are done but Jim told you who did it when Harry asked Molly to make his suit.
Quote from: Molly in Peace Talks
“Hah!” she said, grinning. Then her expression sobered. “I’ve done some work like it lately.

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 155). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
And the impact of something hitting the clothes was used by Larry Niven in Ringworld.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 04:34:36 AM »
I can't say how the clothes are done but Jim told you who did it when Harry asked Molly to make his suit.And the impact of something hitting the clothes was used by Larry Niven in Ringworld.
That quote is about the doppleganger ring he asked for, wasn't it?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2020, 06:10:14 AM »
That quote is about the doppleganger ring he asked for, wasn't it?
“And it’s enchanted,” I mused. I could feel the subtle currents of energy moving through the cloth, beneath my palms. I closed my eyes for a moment and felt the familiar shapes of my own defensive wardings, the same ones I worked into my leather coat. I’d taught the grasshopper the basics of enchanting gear by using my own most familiar formulae. She was probably the only person alive who could have duplicated my own work so closely. “Yeah, see? Once I’m wearing this, it’s going to store the energy of my body heat, of my movements, and use it to help redirect incoming forces.”

Butcher, Jim. Peace Talks (Dresden Files) (p. 167). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
She gives him a suit and a ring.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2020, 10:58:28 AM »
She gives him a suit and a ring.
Sure, but based on the convo with Maggie, he clearly was expecting the ring, but not the suit.  The suit was a surprise, and therefore not what he asked for. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
It isn't clear.  She trades a favor for the gift.  She doesn't seem to be able to give him anything without that trade. But the armor looks to be a product of her enchantments. The fight at the dock is what called back the memory of the passage.  The two effects are pretty much the same. He's doing in the fight what the robe is doing for Lara.  The difference is in the degree.  Lara's robe functions are simpler as compared to the ring and the suit. I had asked early what Lara's first favor was. And it looks like this was it.