Author Topic: Dangling Participants  (Read 7356 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Dangling Participants
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 06:35:50 AM »
I wonder if she's still seeing basically the same vision she saw back in Grave Peril. I read on tvtropes that Jim doesn't think she had Casandra's Tears and was conning Harry. Which is ironic because that's what Casandra's Tears is. A prophetic condition where the prophecies are not believed.
Yes, but that didn't make them less true, which means they aren't a con.
this from Wikipedia;
Cassandra was given the gift of prophecy, but was also cursed by the god Apollo so that her true prophecies would not be believed. Many versions of the myth relate that she incurred the god's wrath by refusing him sex, after promising herself to him in exchange for the power of prophecy.

Offline Sormyst

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 08:16:05 AM »

I had a brief hope that the young woman with the bent helmet that Butters was able to remove was Terra West, when she was described as a Native American woman.

Same!

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 08:45:03 PM »
Can I ad Elaine to this lot? she was a tough cookie and it always looked to me like there is more to her story then Harry lets us know.

I'm very curious about what she was up to during theses last few years since we last saw her. Any of you fine folks have an idea?
He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
No, but I didn't even want to mention her  :). I worry JB is planning to do them end game. I am quite angry for his treatment of Harry's partners and I'd hate to see it as a setting for Harry finishing with Elaine.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »
No, but I didn't even want to mention her  :). I worry JB is planning to do them end game. I am quite angry for his treatment of Harry's partners and I'd hate to see it as a setting for Harry finishing with Elaine.

I don't think he will end up with anyone, he will be happy with his grown daughter, her children and Mouse.

Offline Larry Fowler

• Conversationalist
  • Best wishes to you all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 02:07:37 AM »
I don't think he will end up with anyone, he will be happy with his grown daughter, her children and Mouse.

You are clearly more of an optimist then I am. I mean, I guess you're right  he won't end up with anyone, but I would not bet on Harry getting to be happy with his grown daughter, her children and Mouse. Nope I see him dying doing the right thing(die alone for everyone he loves). 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:11:20 AM by Larry Fowler »
He who sees a mosquito land on his crouch, understands that violence does not solve every problem.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2020, 05:32:45 AM »
You are clearly more of an optimist then I am. I mean, I guess you're right  he won't end up with anyone, but I would not bet on Harry getting to be happy with his grown daughter, her children and Mouse. Nope I see him dying doing the right thing(die alone for everyone he loves).

I think that is what sort of happened to him at the end of Changes.  He suicided in hopes that it would prevent him from becoming Mab's monster, and when he landed in her arms in the water he heard "die alone."  Though he really didn't die.  He wrote the Dresden Files, so maybe he dies at the age of 400 or so on the last page and Maggie finishes it for him.  As Malcolm told him in that vision/dream in I think it was Dead Beat, "everyone dies alone.."  It really isn't so horrible.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 05:35:34 AM »
Yes. I think we will see Harry's death but I don't know, it could happen many times in a future. Sort of the epilogue of Harry Potter but more in the future. I can see Harry's grandchild or grandgrandchild adding a lines about his death, to finish the case files. But I don't know, I may be totally wrong.

Back on topic, I thought in another loose end. The Sidhe fiddler who became an ice statue for the Buffet in PT. We don't know if he survived, but if he did, he has a whole of a reason to hate Harry and ally himself with his enemies.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2020, 05:42:04 AM »

Back on topic, I thought in another loose end. The Sidhe fiddler who became an ice statue for the Buffet in PT. We don't know if he survived, but if he did, he has a whole of a reason to hate Harry and ally himself with his enemies.

That is true, but he embarrassed the Winter Court so he'd have to deal with Mab and Molly first, I bet he will wish he was still an ice statue.

What happened to Christos and Martha?  Eb and Listens were hurt pretty bad, Christos fought a lot, did he come away unscathed?  Is he the one who testified against Harry claiming he broke the First Law when he killed the Turtlenecks? 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2020, 01:57:53 AM »
This should be turned into a poll, and people can vote on what characters we want to see again.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 08:33:28 PM »
That is true, but he embarrassed the Winter Court so he'd have to deal with Mab and Molly first, I bet he will wish he was still an ice statue.

What happened to Christos and Martha?  Eb and Listens were hurt pretty bad, Christos fought a lot, did he come away unscathed?  Is he the one who testified against Harry claiming he broke the First Law when he killed the Turtlenecks?
Cristos was last seen 'flung to one side, burning, body going limp and rag doll in the violence of the explosion'. He may have lived, but no way was he healed THAT fast. IMO he's most likely dead since no healing was mentioned, unlike for Eb and LtW.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 09:18:37 PM »
I thought he had not died just because I thought Ramirez would have mentioned it a lot more. Besides, it would be a jerk move to do a Senior Council voting so close of that death. It would be like hurrying a vote for a Supreme Court judge.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 01:46:16 AM »
Cristos was last seen 'flung to one side, burning, body going limp and rag doll in the violence of the explosion'. He may have lived, but no way was he healed THAT fast. IMO he's most likely dead since no healing was mentioned, unlike for Eb and LtW.
Maybe being on fire for a little while isn't that big of a deal for someone on the Senior Council.

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 10:38:02 PM »
Maybe being on fire for a little while isn't that big of a deal for someone on the Senior Council.

If Christos is that damaged, then the Senior Council meeting that condemned Dresden was Merlin, Mai and Martha Liberty. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 10:45:47 PM »
If Christos is that damaged, then the Senior Council meeting that condemned Dresden was Merlin, Mai and Martha Liberty.
Yeah, it takes three votes for the Senior Council to take the vote from the Council. I doubt any vote of the Council is unanimous, so it was probably a vote of the Senior Council. I'd really like to know what went on with that vote. We only know that Eb and LtW weren't there. There is reason to believe that Gatekeeper, Martha Liberty, and/or Cristos weren't there. Martha and Cristos were both involved in the battle. Cristos was on fire. That's generally going to keep someone on the bench for a while. However "but wizards" is a pretty big loophole. We have no idea what happened to Martha. The Gatekeeper was busy, but we don't know if he was still busy.

We have no reason to believe the Merlin and Mai weren't there, but Jim could always do something after the fact to justify there absence. I really doubt that'll happen though.