Author Topic: Eb's Fate, and blackhats. BG spoilers  (Read 2622 times)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Eb's Fate, and blackhats. BG spoilers
« on: October 11, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
So I came up with a wag based on the recurring cycle of history... We have alot of kids/grandkids killing their father/grandfather historically(in mythology) speaking. Not just Enthiu, Zeus, Perseus, ect.
I think they'll send Eb after Harry... And he'll let him win rather than kill Harry. This is when Harry will get the blackstaff..  although I also theorize Harry won't manifest the staff... He'll wear it as the bada dum dum, BlackHat! So anytime he wants to do things not strictly speaking ok to do with magic, he'll put on his black hat. The hat on the cover.. possibly he'll imbue the actual hat LTW confiscated from those who killed his family with the power of the staff?

Offline Basil

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Eb's Fate, and blackhats. BG spoilers
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 03:20:13 PM »
I got the distinct impression from Battleground and Peace Talks that McCoy's health is not very good.  He seemed to be on the verge of stroking out a couple times.  This is even discounting the damage done in the final battle.

I thought he was going to stroke out when Harry and he fought the corner hounds. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 04:24:49 AM »
I got the distinct impression from Battleground and Peace Talks that McCoy's health is not very good.  He seemed to be on the verge of stroking out a couple times.  This is even discounting the damage done in the final battle.

I thought he was going to stroke out when Harry and he fought the corner hounds.

His mood swings were weird, but I didn't get the impression that he was going to be killed anymore than Harry was in the battle with the cornerhounds.  However many of us think he might be beginning to suffer from dementia.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:03:28 PM »
the actual hat LTW confiscated from those who killed his family
What?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »
What?
ya, Woj is there is a hat, matching more or less the one Harry has on the cover, that LTW took from the pale men who murdered his family after he killed them. Iirc he gave said hat to Be(came up in from someone asking if a hat was proper cosplay for Eb iirc) the fabled hat exists.. MM Harry might already be wearing it..

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
Thanks. I'd never heard that one. Was it recent?

I do like the idea that the blackstaff could manifest as a hat instead of a staff.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 05:12:49 AM »
Thanks. I'd never heard that one. Was it recent?

I do like the idea that the blackstaff could manifest as a hat instead of a staff.
https://wordof.jim-butcher.com/index.php/word-of-jim-woj-compilation/word-of-mods-and-old-wojs/
It's one of the first ones here.

Quote from: Shecky on August 22, 2012, 11:38:00 AM
Quote from: Greg Scott Neuman on August 22, 2012, 09:41:10 AM
A black staff
Overalls
Flannel shirt (several to choose from, actually)
Work boots
and I’m growing a beard, which comes in appropriately grey.

What I still need to know:

Does he regularly carry any other gear besides the Blackstaff?
What color flannel shirt?
Does he have a pentacle like Harry’s and Thomas’?

Be sure you get old-school overalls, not something fancy and trendy; Ebenezar uses his clothes to work in. I don’t remember where, but he was also described once with a white t-shirt, which will help with the Atlanta weather. Finally, he also wears spectacles—it’s only mentioned in TC, but some fake wire-rims wouldn’t hurt.

When I went to NYCC 2 years ago as Ebenezar, I used black latex to show the “infection” on his hand from the Blackstaff (which, oddly, only has the descriptions of “dark” and “twisted”). It was a fun little bit to add.

FWIW, I was a bit leery of shaving my head, so out of pique and a “what the hell” attitude, I sent a question to Jim about whether Eb wears a hat. He was MOST emphatic (“You bet he has a hat”); turns out he has a black leather OOOOOLD-style hat. Listens-to-Wind gave it to him at the end of their very long feud (Jim said the details are really horrible). LtW had taken it from the last surviving paleface from the group that killed his family, so yeah, it was an ugly thing all around. Anyway, this is the hat that I got and Jim approved fully:

http://www.sheplers.com/Minnetonka-Silverthorne-oiled-leather-hat/6964.pro

Sadly, this hat is apparently no longer available. But that should give you some idea if you want to go that route.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:14:51 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 03:32:28 PM »

Be sure you get old-school overalls, not something fancy and trendy; Ebenezar uses his clothes to work in. I don’t remember where, but he was also described once with a white t-shirt, which will help with the Atlanta weather. Finally, he also wears spectacles—it’s only mentioned in TC, but some fake wire-rims wouldn’t hurt.

Eb dresses like my father did, who was a chicken rancher and commercial salmon/crab fisherman. We lived in California, so ditto with the white tee shirt to go along, though my father favored a muscle tee shirt.  Wonder if Eb carries a hanky in his back pocket, a well broken in scrape knife in the hammer loop on his hip,[you have no idea, it would take him an hour to select a new one], keys to his boat and pickup, change, box of matches, oh and his precious very sharp and carefully maintained pocket knife in a pocket. In his chest pockets he kept a stub of a pencil, usually the flat carpenter's kind, toothpicks, reading spectacles and his pack of Camels.. He also wore a pain ball cap of heavy work cotton material, gray usually, but with age, grease, dirt, it always had a greenish tinge.   So if Jim wants to assign magic to any one of those items for Eb, he may do so with my blessing.. But any one of those additions would make Eb a very authentic farmer in my eyes.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 08:49:41 PM »

Or told him about Thomas

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 08:58:25 PM »
Eb dresses like my father did, who was a chicken rancher and commercial salmon/crab fisherman. We lived in California, so ditto with the white tee shirt to go along, though my father favored a muscle tee shirt.  Wonder if Eb carries a hanky in his back pocket, a well broken in scrape knife in the hammer loop on his hip,[you have no idea, it would take him an hour to select a new one], keys to his boat and pickup, change, box of matches, oh and his precious very sharp and carefully maintained pocket knife in a pocket. In his chest pockets he kept a stub of a pencil, usually the flat carpenter's kind, toothpicks, reading spectacles and his pack of Camels.. He also wore a pain ball cap of heavy work cotton material, gray usually, but with age, grease, dirt, it always had a greenish tinge.   So if Jim wants to assign magic to any one of those items for Eb, he may do so with my blessing.. But any one of those additions would make Eb a very authentic farmer in my eyes.

My paternal grandfather smoked Camel straights. Horrid things but he went through a pack a day for 50 years. He wasn't a farmer but still had most of the same gear. Every farmer and hand I know has that knife they keep sharpened to a mono filament edge. Any number of these items would be a great magical dodad. 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 09:16:55 PM »
My paternal grandfather smoked Camel straights. Horrid things but he went through a pack a day for 50 years. He wasn't a farmer but still had most of the same gear. Every farmer and hand I know has that knife they keep sharpened to a mono filament edge. Any number of these items would be a great magical dodad.

Maybe I that's why I don't smoke?  Well, I did steal a pack when I was ten, got up to one cigarette per day, though I am not sure if I inhaled or not. ::)  And yeah, Camels are vile.  My father also did surgery with that pocket knife, he removed many a wooden splinter and thorn from my fingers with it, he is long gone, but I still have his knife.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 09:21:07 PM by Mira »